Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,446 of 5,854
Quote:

If i don't like it , i will sell it to you for 150€ shipped
biggrin.gif
. But, unfortunately , i hope to keep it
k701smile.gif

LOL

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,447 of 5,854
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,448 of 5,854
Has anybody compared the K501 with the k550? I found the k550 to be better than k701, but never heard the k501.

Akg K550, in my opinion,  is a pair of excellent headphones. It amazes me every time I listen to them, even after I listen to my LCD2 Burson Conductor at home. I use them at work with fiio e17

At first I thought It wasn't worth half the price, but citraian, the friend that introduced me to them said it may have to do with the fact that I may have a smaller head than his and the seal is not good on my head ( it seems to be a know problem with akg k550) . He told me to push a little on cups and tell him if it was a difference. Before i pushed, i thought it had a thin sound, that it was too sibilant, loose and undefined bass, etc (in a few words I hated them). Ok....I pushed for his sake, as I for one was skeptical, and I was truly amazed of the difference. The bass became very punchy and well defined, it stopped being sibilant, the sound more balanced all over the spectrum, etc... I do not have a small head, when I go at carting I usually get a xl helmet, as the smaller ones do not fit, but the shape of your head really matters. If you have a good seal, these headphones are one of the best sealed headphones out there, if the seal is not good, you must apply some mods to get a good seal, starting with the bend of the headband.

After you bend your headband, you must be careful as if you use them at minumum setting, you may loose the seal on the lower side of your ears, even though the smallest setting on the headband seem to fit you. You must try to increase the headbands' size one by one, until you get a full seal. 

I don't know what AKG's headphone designer thought while designed the k550, but he must have had a really big head...really big! 

I gave the k550 to a female colleague at work and the headphones fell at the smallest settings.

Sound wise, I just love these cans, they are great for work, or anytime you have to use sealed cans, but they are good in any situation too! They are a steal at their price, trust me! I would give them an A+ for the price/quality ratio, and if they had a better design and wouldn't have the seal issue, they would have deserved A++. I have listened to AKG K701, and didn't like it at all, but I really enjoy the k550.

So be aware that if you seem to find them sounding to thin, or feel like they have a thin loose bass, or if you think they are too sibilant, you may have the know seal issue!

Does anybody know a good pair of sealed cans, better than AKG k550? I heard the Sennheiser Momentum might be better.

P.S. 

If you remember the DavidMahler facts (as in Chuck Norris facts ) I stated in this post : "Davids collection of headphones reached infinity... twice! "

David said:

I think I will buy another pair just in case something happens to the pair I own right now,

That may be the reason ! :))

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,450 of 5,854
Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on a used pair of AKG k501's, got a good deal on them.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I hope you won't hang me in case you don't like them
biggrin.gif
Please don't say that they are mint and that they cost you 70€. I'll kill myself
confused_face.gif

Just to let you know, I might buy them if you don't like them
L3000.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,451 of 5,854
Quote:

If I'm directly comparing them I would say something like this:

TH900 has a very natural, euphonious sound that is great with most music.  It is detailed, but not as much as the LCD-3.  It soundstage is wide, though not quite as large as the LCD-3.  It is closed back though, which is of great benefit.  It is drastically more comfortable.  It doesn't have a detachable cable though.  And maybe most importantly, you can drive it with almost anything and still get good results.  It may be a little too sensitive in some ways though.

LCD3 is darker than the TH900, but more revealing (I consider this a wonderful anomaly).  Both headphones are forgiving though.  The LCD-3 is more picky regarding amplification and not nearly as comfortable.  It is also open back.  

When they are both amped to their best, sonically I think you're comparing a dark, but revealing and expressive sound-signature (LCD-3) to a euphonic yet smooth and sultry sound signature (TH900)

^ This!

Quote:
in your case, i would recommend the TH900 over the LCD-3, though the SR71B should be able to power the LCD-3 somewhat, it would not be ideal.  The TH900 is very sensitive, you may find yourself in the at about 8 oclock on the volume knob.

^ And this!

Good stuff David!

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,453 of 5,854
i have k501 too but for classical-mood i recommend alessandro ms pro
anyday over the akg. more engaging in the sound + much easier to
achieve the near-maximum potencial of the headphone with amplification.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,457 of 5,854
Quote:
More useful information 
bigsmile_face.gif
Thanks

Orthos really respond to moar power! While the LCD-2/3s are quite efficient (especially next to the HE-6s), they still open up with the more juice you can give them.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,458 of 5,854
Quote:
I personally feel that the HD800 are on another level from the K501 regarding acoustic music.  But the K501s are wonderful.  By the way, I love both the Nirvana and AIC albums, but I've always been more partial to the AIC Unplugged because I feel that that is their definitive album, and every song on it is better (to me) than the original electric version.  My favorite Nirvana album is In Utero.

Missed your impressions during my earlier read.  Thank you.  For you to still give praise to the K501's when compared to the HD800's is something special I think.
The Unplugged release is indeed AiC's best album.  Where Nirvana played only 2 or 3 hit singles on their unplugged album, AiC played everyone.  No obscure songs found here, which I find unfortunate.
In Utero got me into Nirvana. I've since developed a great appreciation for Incesticide.

Quote:
It is easy to be blinded by the price-difference. The actual difference in sound quality between k501 and HD800 is not so big. And the difference between k701 and HD800 is even smaller 
wink.gif

I am so jealous he found a mint k501 for €70! 
smile.gif
 It is a steal. If they are in mint condition they are worth at least the double price.

That would depend on a lot of factors, including choice of music. Still... hard to believe.

Quote:

While owning the SR325's, RS2's and RS1i's, classical music was not something I enjoyed listening to on them.  Jazz was even less enjoyable to listen to on a Grado and I still have memories of not being able to get through a single Miles Davis song.  Its hard to appreciate a genre when its poking razor sharp needles in your ear each time the trumpet hits a high note.
I have great respect for those that do enjoy this combo, while I pitty their ears.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2,460 of 5,854
Quote:

Oh, no... not for classical. Grados/Alessandros are in my ears completely off for classical. No, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back