Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,476 of 5,854
Hi,
I would appreciate your advice regarding my following consideration.
Would Beyerdynamic T1 be a good complimentary headphone to LCD-2?
My thinking is T1 would give more spacious, faster and a bit treble-focused sound while LCD-2 would provide the smaller intimate soundstage and heavier but slower sound that is tilted toward bass.
Is my thinking correct?
I am looking for an additional headphone that will work great with electronic music and soundtracks like "The Dark Knight" or "Tron" where speed and spaciousness in sound are requisite. I am not fully satisfied with LCD-2 performance with these particular kinds of music.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,477 of 5,854
Quote:
Hi,
My thinking is T1 would give more spacious, faster and a bit treble-focused sound while LCD-2 would provide the smaller intimate soundstage and heavier but slower sound that is tilted toward bass.
Is my thinking correct?
I am looking for an additional headphone that will work great with electronic music and soundtracks like "The Dark Knight" or "Tron" where speed and spaciousness in sound are requisite. I am not fully satisfied with LCD-2 performance with these particular kinds of music.

I am not David, but I would say definitely yes. They are different enough :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,479 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks!
Opinions of other people are most welcome too!

In more depth LCD is an ortho, T1 is a dynamic driver.
LCD has focused deep bass, lovely midrange and slightly soft up top. A dark HP. T1 has very fast bass (weaker) not as velvety midrange but extended and detailed highs. A slightly bright HP.
LCD is slightly slower than T1. T1 is more dynamic than LCD.

From the above I would say yes, they definitely complement one another :) And you are welcome :D

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2,480 of 5,854
My newly bought T1 complements my D7000 very well, almost polar opposite sound characteristics. And FWIR the LCD-2 is quite similar to the D7000 in sound.

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,481 of 5,854
Quote:
My newly bought T1 complements my D7000 very well, almost polar opposite sound characteristics. And FWIR the LCD-2 is quite similar to the D7000 in sound.

Obviously we have heard different LCD-2 (mine are rev2) and D7000... I haven't found any similarities between those two headphones.

The bass of LCD-2 is completely different from D7000... Natural and deep vs shallow and subwooferish.
The mids of LCD-2 are as well different... Full, natural and neutral vs. recessed and thin with D7000
The highs are also differently portrayed... Liquidy, natural and balanced (LCD-2) vs. thin, peaky and slightly harsh (D7000)

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2,482 of 5,854
Quote:
In more depth LCD is an ortho, T1 is a dynamic driver.
LCD has focused deep bass, lovely midrange and slightly soft up top. A dark HP. T1 has very fast bass (weaker) not as velvety midrange but extended and detailed highs. A slightly bright HP.
LCD is slightly slower than T1. T1 is more dynamic than LCD.

From the above I would say yes, they definitely complement one another :) And you are welcome :D

:)
This information seems to sum up characteristics of both headphones pretty well, I guess.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,483 of 5,854
Quote:

Obviously we have heard different LCD-2 (mine are rev2) and D7000... I haven't found any similarities between those two headphones.

The bass of LCD-2 is completely different from D7000... (tight, focused, yet neutral while going very deep and never losing control, great slam and extension) Natural and deep vs shallow and subwooferish. (musical with a full sound with nice bloom and texture, deep and powerful bass)
The mids of LCD-2 are as well different... Full, natural and neutral (Liquid, smooth, and dark) vs. recessed and thin with D7000 (laid back yet musical with a bit of euphonic warmth)
The highs are also differently portrayed... (Smooth and completely non-fatiguing)Liquidy, natural and balanced (LCD-2) vs. thin, peaky and slightly harsh (D7000)  (sparkly and airy with great extension)

+1

reworded it a bit so it doesn't make the d7000s look bad. 
wink.gif

i do think the LCD-2, D7000, and T1 sound quite different from one another.

The T1 being the most neutral, with a very clean, transparent sound. very fast transients, probably one of the fastest dynamic drivers out there. The treble while it can be bright on poor recordings (The T1 is by far the most unforgiving of these headphones), is generally very clean, detailed, and fully extended. the treble is never sibilant or harsh unless it is present in the recording. it adds no extra colorations or sparkles like the lower beyers or other headphones do. The midrange is very detailed, very deep, with very good soundstage and imaging, not as wide as hd 800, but very good anyways. the midrange is neutral with a slight warmth to it that prevents it from being overly analytical and makes it a bit more musical, though it is still quite neutral. the bass goes deep, is punchy, and is well controlled with good texture. though it is of slightly less quality than the HD 800, it loses a bit of control to add a bit more punch and weight to the bass. its still not as strong as the LCD-2 or D7000, though enough to work well with most music. one downside with the T1 is that the midrange sometimes sounds a little more laid back than normal (its very slightly U shaped, as if the vocals sometimes sound more distant).

The LCD-2 are much smoother in the treble and warmer than the T1, they are much more forgiving of poor recordings, and don't seem to offer as much detail in the midrange as the T1. (mostly the trade-off for a non-fatiguing and smooth sound). it has much more weight in the midrange and bass compared to the T1. completely different headphones. The D7000 i feel is a step below the LCD-2 and T1 in terms of details and transparency. however, its much more musical than either headphone and i think its the easiest to like. lots of bass, though the bass isn't of the same quality as the LCD-2 or T1, it does go just as deep. the mids are slightly recessed and they are lush and slightly warm. the treble is sparkly yet generally non-fatiguing. the D7000 are also more forgiving than T1, though right about the same as LCD-2. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,484 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

The bass of LCD-2 is completely different from D7000... (tight, focused, yet neutral while going very deep and never losing control, great slam and extension) Natural and deep vs shallow and subwooferish. (musical with a full sound with nice bloom and texture, deep and powerful bass)
The mids of LCD-2 are as well different... Full, natural and neutral (Liquid, smooth, and dark) vs. recessed and thin with D7000 (laid back yet musical with a bit of euphonic warmth)
The highs are also differently portrayed... (Smooth and completely non-fatiguing)Liquidy, natural and balanced (LCD-2) vs. thin, peaky and slightly harsh (D7000)  (sparkly and airy with great extension)

+1

wink.gif

Nice re-wording.
tongue_smile.gif

I don't really like the dark signature of the LCD-2's but evidently a lot, a LOT of people like it. Smooth definitely describes how the LCD-2's sound.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,485 of 5,854
Quote:

+1

wink.gif

Yeah, glad to hear someone likes those phones better... I have to say I expected something better since those were my first "big" headphones. I would definitely not recommend them for rock or metal like many people do but with pop or electronic music, they did the job very well.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,486 of 5,854
Hi,
Is my thinking correct?

Try the he400? It has forward sounding highs and deep going bass..cHeck the he400 thread..i think it could be the phone for u to complement ur lcd2(which rev?)

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,487 of 5,854
Quote:

Yeah, glad to hear someone likes those phones better... I have to say I expected something better since those were my first "big" headphones. I would definitely not recommend them for rock or metal like many people do but with pop or electronic music, they did the job very well.

i think they do ok with rock and metal, but definitely not the best.

Quote:
Nice re-wording.
tongue_smile.gif

I don't really like the dark signature of the LCD-2's but evidently a lot, a LOT of people like it. Smooth definitely describes how the LCD-2's sound.

i don't like the darkness of the LCD-2 sometimes because i feel like i have to turn the volume up more to hear the details, i guess its just a trade-off though. smoothness and warmth for detail. 
its a great headphone though and my top pick for electronic music.

also i posted a few comments on LCD-2 vs T1 vs. D7000 on my first reply. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,489 of 5,854
Quote:
Try the he400? It has forward sounding highs and deep going bass..cHeck the he400 thread..i think it could be the phone for u to complement ur lcd2(which rev?)

He was only asking about the T1 I think 
rolleyes.gif

But sure HifiMAN woud make a nice complement, but not as much as the T1 would IMO. after all both HIfiMAN and Audeze are planars whereas the T1 are dynamics.
And planars bear certain resemblances :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,490 of 5,854
Quote:

+1

wink.gif

i do think the LCD-2, D7000, and T1 sound quite different from one another.

The T1 being the most neutral, with a very clean, transparent sound. very fast transients, probably one of the fastest dynamic drivers out there. The treble while it can be bright on poor recordings (The T1 is by far the most unforgiving of these headphones), is generally very clean, detailed, and fully extended. the treble is never sibilant or harsh unless it is present in the recording. it adds no extra colorations or sparkles like the lower beyers or other headphones do. The midrange is very detailed, very deep, with very good soundstage and imaging, not as wide as hd 800, but very good anyways. the midrange is neutral with a slight warmth to it that prevents it from being overly analytical and makes it a bit more musical, though it is still quite neutral. the bass goes deep, is punchy, and is well controlled with good texture. though it is of slightly less quality than the HD 800, it loses a bit of control to add a bit more punch and weight to the bass. its still not as strong as the LCD-2 or D7000, though enough to work well with most music. one downside with the T1 is that the midrange sometimes sounds a little more laid back than normal (its very slightly U shaped, as if the vocals sometimes sound more distant).

The LCD-2 are much smoother in the treble and warmer than the T1, they are much more forgiving of poor recordings, and don't seem to offer as much detail in the midrange as the T1. (mostly the trade-off for a non-fatiguing and smooth sound). it has much more weight in the midrange and bass compared to the T1. completely different headphones. The D7000 i feel is a step below the LCD-2 and T1 in terms of details and transparency. however, its much more musical than either headphone and i think its the easiest to like. lots of bass, though the bass isn't of the same quality as the LCD-2 or T1, it does go just as deep. the mids are slightly recessed and they are lush and slightly warm. the treble is sparkly yet generally non-fatiguing. the D7000 are also more forgiving than T1, though right about the same as LCD-2. 

Thank you for the detailed descriptions.
T1 still sounds like a good canditate to compliment LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back