Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,356 of 5,854
Actually David, If you need a man in your life I wont be resentful! Infact I would look after your cupboard full of gear when your at work :wink:  

(just joking aswell.... I'm married wif kids)

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #2,357 of 5,854
Quote:

So how did the HE-6 and the HD800 flip flop?

Two reasons:
1) I prefer the sound of the second pair (I didn't own it at the time)
2) The Manley Classic Neo 300B..... this pairing with the HD800 is among the 3 or 4 best pairings I have ever heard of any headphone.  It is AMAZING.  Truly.  I purchased this amp after that review.
Quote:
If I were in her shoes I would have seen it a major plus to continue  the relationship :)). You would be a hit for all audiophile ladies out there.

Just joking here 
biggrin.gif

hahaha

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,358 of 5,854
Quote:
Two reasons:
1) I prefer the sound of the second pair (I didn't own it at the time)
2) The Manley Classic Neo 300B..... this pairing with the HD800 is among the 3 or 4 best pairings I have ever heard of any headphone.  It is AMAZING.  Truly.  I purchased this amp after that review.
hahaha

Have you tried the LCD-X/Mjolnir combo yet? Would love to hear your opinion on it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,359 of 5,854
Quote:
Actually David, If you need a man in your life I wont be resentful! Infact I would look after your cupboard full of gear when your at work :wink:  

=))) 
etysmile.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #2,360 of 5,854
Quote:
Have you tried the LCD-X/Mjolnir combo yet? Would love to hear your opinion on it.

I have not.  I would like  to at some point. 
Quote:

Haha!  :)

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,361 of 5,854
Quote:

Nice post!

If you read my synopsis for the HD800, LCD-2 and HE-6 I believe I touch on precisely what you're saying.  There were new revelations granted new amplification and I talk specifically about these three headphones in question! :)

From your TL;DR section in the review.

/quote
[size=x-small]Sennheiser's HD800 is presently my favorite in-production dynamic headphone.[/size]
[size=x-small]While Sony's MDR-R10 is one of my favorite headphones[/size]...
/end quote

/facepalm

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,362 of 5,854
Quote:

From your TL;DR section in the review.

/quote
[size=x-small]Sennheiser's HD800 is presently my favorite in-production dynamic headphone.[/size]
[size=x-small]While Sony's MDR-R10 is one of my favorite headphones[/size]...
/end quote

/facepalm

Haha I don't get it.  Is that a bad thing?

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,363 of 5,854
I think you made the right move keeping this in the full-size headphones thread.  The staff would have a problem of the people being attracted to and posting in this thread not having deep enough pockets to be accepted into the summit-fi club.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,364 of 5,854
If someone tried to pin me down on which of my harem of phones I like best on any given day I'd sound like a big indecisive hypocrite. 
Rating phones you enjoy, even ranking them, is fluid and almost meaningless. Consumer reports "scores" cars, and this is just as absurd.
Subjective opinions, or at most maybe gross categorizations like Stereophile does, are probably the only valuable things.
Inconsistency is inevitable.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #2,365 of 5,854
Quote:
If someone tried to pin me down on which of my harem of phones I like best on any given day I'd sound like a big indecisive hypocrite. 
Rating phones you enjoy, even ranking them, is fluid and almost meaningless. Consumer reports "scores" cars, and this is just as absurd.
Subjective opinions, or at most maybe gross categorizations like Stereophile does, are probably the only valuable things.

Not when you are David. He will become the Chuck Norris of headphones.

What does a headphone think after it get bought?
"I hope the buyer is David, as I heard the takes you to the headphone paradise!"

When audio stores run out of stock they ask David for more headphones.

When a  good pair of headphone appears on the market people think " Let's ask David, I am sure he already has it somewhere there! "

When a big headphone manufacturer decides on a new better pair of headphones, they ask Davids' permission before putting it out on the market.

David doesn't listen to headphones, the headphones listen to him.

Davids collection of headphones reached infinity, twice! 

Aside from the jokes, I think you can make a comparison between your own headphones, if you have an organised mind and had a lot of time with them. Not saying it wouldn't be subjective, but when you listen that much to that many headphones, you actually  may get closer to objectivity .

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,366 of 5,854
Quote:

I agree with some of this.  Tonight I am listening to the Jades for instance and I'm thinking "it doesn't get any better than this" and it really doesn't.  It's all about those moments.  It's not as though, you switch from the Headphone X to Headphone Y and the music is just instantly better or worse.  It's all about the moment.  And to define those moments, which are influenced by music, mood, emotions..... its not possible to convey a permanent list.  However, I tried to be as accurate as possible, knowing myself and my rotation time.  

Quote:
Fantastic thread. Thanks for this.

You're welcome.  Thank you!
Quote:
Not when you are David. He will become the Chuck Norris of headphones.

What does a headphone think after it get bought?
"I hope the buyer is David, as I heard the takes you to the headphone paradise!"

When audio stores run out of stock they ask David for more headphones.

When a  good pair of headphone appears on the market people think " Let's ask David, I am sure he already has it somewhere there! "

When a big headphone manufacturer decides on a new better pair of headphones, they ask Davids' permission before putting it out on the market.

David doesn't listen to headphones, the headphones listen to him.

Davids collection of headphones reached infinity, twice! 

Aside from the jokes, I think you can make a comparison between your own headphones, if you have an organised mind and had a lot of time with them. Not saying it wouldn't be subjective, but when you listen that much to that many headphones, you actually  may get closer to objectivity .

LOL.  I think it is worth mentioning that I've been a listmaker and essayist for fun, all my life.  This project is not really one of the bigger things I've done in my life, but it is definitely the most expensive.  I tried once to "chronologize" the entire history of western music, noting the composition date and recording date of everything I could find.  It was a great waste of time because I'm not sure what it was for.  I kept convincing myself it would be for a library of some sort.  Then Wikipedia came out.....

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,367 of 5,854
It was a great waste of time because I'm not sure what it was for.  I kept convincing myself it would be for a library of some sort.  Then Wikipedia came out.....

When David needed a library Wikipedia was created!

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,370 of 5,854
Quote:
Haha I don't get it.  Is that a bad thing?

Hahha, that's not a bad thing David
biggrin.gif
.  My apologies for not making that clear.  I was face-palming myself after reading your conclusion only to find out I re-iterated in my own words what you had already written without knowing that's what you had written.  Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back