Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,371 of 5,854
David, not sure if this question has been asked, but you specify the 600 ohm DT880 in your review yet mention that you owned the 250 ohm version without commenting further. I wonder if you hear much difference between the two (some don't--even Tyll seems doubtful he can hear much difference) and if so what are the differences to your ears? I own the Pro and find the sound much as you've described it for the 600 ohm version.   

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,372 of 5,854
Quote:
David, not sure if this question has been asked, but you specify the 600 ohm DT880 in your review yet mention that you owned the 250 ohm version without commenting further. I wonder if you hear much difference between the two (some don't--even Tyll seems doubtful he can hear much difference) and if so what are the differences to your ears? I own the Pro and find the sound much as you've described it for the 600 ohm version.   

I never owned the two pairs at the same time.  I think that the differences may not be extreme.  I recall the 600 ohm version sounding slightly smoother up on top, but it was not night and day differences.  A lot would depend on setup as well.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,374 of 5,854
Quote:
Hahha, that's not a bad thing David
biggrin.gif
.  My apologies for not making that clear.  I was face-palming myself after reading your conclusion only to find out I re-iterated in my own words what you had already written without knowing that's what you had written.  Ha.

Haha oh!

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,376 of 5,854
I think after testing so many high end HP, one is boud to have a huge mind F... aobut what they like more or less.
I mean, ears are in a way like smell, once you test too many diffrent things, they confuse the brain and its hard to know exactly whats better or worse.

Since this review, i bought the HE-400, however i have some issues with its sound (not sure if signature or lack of amp, using a E17 at the moment). Main problem is that i feel some music generes "distant", especially in a few mids/highs.
I noted this with Rock mostly.

I am unable to use the terminology in this forum like "recesed mids" or so, since i dont have enought expirience with diffrent HP, but even in a few games like Mass Efect 2, some sounds seem to be strongly lowered in terms of volume.
One example:
I used to play this map where the music was really cool, so i used to lower the sounds, and increase the music, but with these Its hard to get the sound working. I can hear the bass strong, i can hear the gun im shooting strong (high pitching sounds), i can hear the weapon exchange very clearly, but the rest of the music that is suppoed to be there (perfectly audible in my speakers, Z-5500 logitech, and my older headphone, Sennhesier HD 380 Pro) feels very low on volume.

Kinda Muddy, like overwhelmed by other sounds.
This does not happen in every game, and that would clue me to belive its an amp issue (and im praying that it is that actually).

David, can you confirm if the HE-400 on a weak amp can have issues of this kind? 
I dont really know how to better explain this :frowning2:.

EDIT: Also note that i am using the Fiio E17 as a Dac, where i normally used the X-fi titanium on my speakers and my older Sennheisers 380 Pro. Ofc id test this if i could, but for now i cant due to the fact that i dont have my PC with me, and im using my laptop.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2,377 of 5,854
Quote:
I think after testing so many high end HP, one is boud to have a huge mind F... aobut what they like more or less.
I mean, ears are in a way like smell, once you test too many diffrent things, they confuse the brain and its hard to know exactly whats better or worse.

That wouldn't happen to David though. He's special. He's our hero. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #2,378 of 5,854
But im Evil, and i can make any Hero FALL, MUAHAHAHHA!

Sorry, didnt take my medication this morning.
But really, i dont even know at this point if the problem is that i got used to worse sound, or if i jsur like anotehr type of DAC! This is getting out of control.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,379 of 5,854
Quote:

Since this review, i bought the HE-400, however i have some issues with its sound (not sure if signature or lack of amp, using a E17 at the moment). Main problem is that i feel some music generes "distant", especially in a few mids/highs.

I am unable to use the terminology in this forum like "recesed mids" or so, since i dont have enought expirience with diffrent HP, but even in a few games like Mass Efect 2, some sounds seem to be strongly lowered in terms of volume.
One example:
I used to play this map where the music was really cool, so i used to lower the sounds, and increase the music, but with these Its hard to get the sound working. I can hear the bass strong, i can hear the gun im shooting strong (high pitching sounds), i can hear the weapon exchange very clearly, but the rest of the music that is suppoed to be there (perfectly audible in my speakers, Z-5500 logitech, and my older headphone, Sennhesier HD 380 Pro) feels very low on volume.

This does not happen in every game, and that would clue me to belive its an amp issue (and im praying that it is that actually).

David, can you confirm if the HE-400 on a weak amp can have issues of this kind? 

EDIT: Also note that i am using the Fiio E17 as a Dac, where i normally used the X-fi titanium on my speakers and my older Sennheisers 380 Pro. Ofc id test this if i could, but for now i cant due to the fact that i dont have my PC with me, and im using my laptop.

Heightened dynamic range perhaps, quiet sounds sound quieter, loud sounds sound louder, rather than everything sounding the same volume.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #2,380 of 5,854
Quote:
Heightened dynamic range perhaps, quiet sounds sound quieter, loud sounds sound louder, rather than everything sounding the same volume.

Its possible since X-fi uses crystalizer wich basicly fills big inconsistencies in sound (dont know how else to explain it).
I guess ill have to experiment a lot more before i get into a conclusion, but for that ill have to wait to get my PC... damn, another 3 months of wait.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #2,382 of 5,854
Hey David, i got a question i think you might answer with relative ease:
If i already have the HE-400, what other HP in the same rpice range would you recommend to see a sound signature diffrent/oposite to it? 
HD 600 could be an example?

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,383 of 5,854
Quote:

One example:

You really need to get to your computer and test:

For your gaming problem: Although this probably isn't the best place on the forum to ask for computer related help, I will try to answer you in simple terms: It is not the headphones you are having issues with, its the DAC. Why? Its not a gaming DAC. The Creative line of cards seems to work best with many games, due to the DAC and DSP used on it. The X_FI chip.  It has nothing to do with the "Crystalizer" really. It has to do with Creative being the "boss" in gaming and many games are built to fit that DSP.  Supposedly ASUS essence cards do something similar to what you are hearing, but I cannot confirm this because I am still waiting on the delivery of my essence ST.

What you want to do for games is use the X-fi card output (analog) to the E17 input (analog) and then plug in your HE-400. Set the card like you do for the game. Then try playing the game again. (Same map of course)

About your problem with the "distant" sound, I cannot really help you. Here, you could also try that exact music, play it through the above way. X-Fi out to DAC to headfones and compare. Make sure your X-fi is set to audio with ALL effects turned off and the EQ also off.

You could also take your notebook and DAC into some electronics store and test it with a bunch of other headphones. You should really do this before you buy anything else.

GL & HF

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2,384 of 5,854
Hi,

Quote:

I felt the same thing when I auditioned the HE-500 recently. Maybe this is the signature of Planars? I do not get the same feeling with Stax Electrostatics.

Cheers Rich

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,385 of 5,854
Quote:

You really need to get to your computer and test:

For your gaming problem: Although this probably isn't the best place to ask for computer related help, I will try to answer you in simple terms: It is not the headphones you are having issues with, its the DAC. Why? Its not a gaming DAC. The Creative line of cards seems to work best with many games, due to the DAC and DSP used on it. The X_FI chip.  It has nothing to do with the "Crystalizer" really. It has to do with Creative being the "boss" in gaming and many games are built to fit that DSP.  Supposedly ASUS essence cards do something similar to what you are hearing, but I cannot confirm this because I am still waiting on the delivery of my essence ST.

What you want to do for games is use the X-fi card output (analog) to the E17 input (analog) and then plug in your HE-400. Set the card like you do for the game. Then try playing the game again. (Same map of course)

About your problem with the "distant" sound, I cannot really help you. Here, you could also try that exact music, play it through the above way. X-Fi out to DAC to headfones and compare. Make sure your X-fi is set to audio with ALL effects turned off and the EQ also off.

You could also take your notebook and DAC into some electronics store and test it with a bunch of other headphones. You should really do this before you buy anything else.

GL & HF

It does make sence, and first thing ill do today when i get home from work is try the aux in with the laptops Sound card (its not as good as the X-fi Titanium, but still diffrent).

It makes a lot of sence btw :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back