Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,547 of 5,854
Would be cool to see a test of MrSpeakers "Mad Dog" mod of the Fostex T50RP, its gotten really good reviews here at the forum and offers great value, would be interesting to see your take on it. I see you are reviewing another pair of cans tho, I hope you can find the time for it!

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,548 of 5,854
My HE400 will be here next week but I'm not opening them until Christmas. If your review comes out before then I just hope it doesn't say "stay away" but I'm not expecting anything like that! I paid less than $400 too so that helps the value meter. :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,550 of 5,854
David Mahler's ranking of HE400 will basically come down to how he would perceive the colouration.

If he finds the voicing to have "sucked out mids, too laid-back, not enough emotion" then it'll be scored low.

If he finds it "holographic, good sense of openness and politeness" then it will be scored high.

It all comes down to what his subjective expectations are.

In terms of general fidelity and technicalities HE400 is probably just a bit under HE500.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,551 of 5,854
Quote:
Would be cool to see a test of MrSpeakers "Mad Dog" mod of the Fostex T50RP, its gotten really good reviews here at the forum and offers great value, would be interesting to see your take on it. I see you are reviewing another pair of cans tho, I hope you can find the time for it!

But it's not a "flagship". That would go in a different review thread. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,553 of 5,854
Quote:

But it's not a "flagship". That would go in a different review thread. 

Neither are the he-400, he-500, ad900, and other headphones in the review.  At this point it's more about best performing headphones rather than strictly being flagship or not.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #1,554 of 5,854
@TMRaven, Were the headphones in that list you mention ever the manufacturer's top [or near top] of the line before higher-end offerings came out?  I've read David mention he included some headphones in his review which aren't flagships today, because they used to be flagships of the manufacturer in years past.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,556 of 5,854
Quote:
I just want to say thank you in advance.  Can't wait to read your review on the 400s.

Thank you :)

Quote:

Neither are the he-400, he-500, ad900, and other headphones in the review.  At this point it's more about best performing headphones rather than strictly being flagship or not.

This is true

Quote:
@TMRaven, Were the headphones in that list you mention ever the manufacturer's top [or near top] of the line before higher-end offerings came out?  I've read David mention he included some headphones in his review which aren't flagships today, because they used to be flagships of the manufacturer in years past.

This is true too.  I'll clarify.
The following headphones which I've included that were never a flagship:

Audio-Technica: ATH-AD900 (fantastic headphone for acoustic instruments, not a flagship, but I wanted to include it as it is the best value in Audio Technicas line of the ones that I've heard)

Beyerdynamic: DT660 (I included it because I felt it outclassed many flagships in the same pricepoint)

Beyerdynamic: DT770 (this functioned as Beyer's flagship closed back until the T5P and T70)

Beyerdynamic: DT880 (was not seen by the manufacturer as the flagship - the DT990 was - but the headphone community saw the DT880 as no less than equal, and perhaps a little better than the 990, so in a sense it was a self-evident flagship, rather than a declared flagship?)

Grado: RS2 (I wanted to weigh in on the differences between this and the RS1.  The RS2 is not a flagship, but it is priced alongside other flagships.  Would have been nice to include the PS500, but oh well.)

Hifiman: HE-500 (I couldn't not include this, because although it was never a flagship, it was seen by many as better than the HE-6 and I wanted to see for myself)

Sennheiser: HD700 (not a flagship, but I felt it would be great to include it, and it is certainly designed and priced with extreme high end in mind.)

Sennheiser: IE8 (was the flagship in Sennheiser's in-ear series until the IE80, IE800)

Stax: SR507 (not the flagship, but the flagship Lambda series model so it counts)

The HE-400 got a lot of requests, so I went for it:)

Quote:
This thread is a masterpiece haha. Looking forward to the HE400 review as well :)

Thank you:)

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #1,557 of 5,854
Thank you David.

@TMRaven btw, I didn't mean for my question to seem like it was asked in any sort of 'leading' way (as it seemed it could read when I re-read it).  I honestly did not know having recused myself out of the hobby for about the last 1/2 decade and only got active again for a bit over a month.  So aside fro the 'Beyer DT' line which is quite old and was known to me I honestly didn't know what came when with the others.  Thank you again David for spelling it out.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,560 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank you David.

@TMRaven btw, I didn't mean for my question to seem like it was asked in any sort of 'leading' way (as it seemed it could read when I re-read it).  I honestly did not know having recused myself out of the hobby for about the last 1/2 decade and only got active again for a bit over a month.  So aside fro the 'Beyer DT' line which is quite old and was known to me I honestly didn't know what came when with the others.  Thank you again David for spelling it out.

welcome:)
Quote:
David, I've got a Rudistor Chroma I could send you if you want to review it.

Thanks!!! That's really kind!! It was my original intent to not take loaners because I thought it would prevent all biases (and accusations of biases haha), but it may be as time goes on that I won't be able to afford more, so we shall see:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back