Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,531 of 5,854
Quote:
HD800 is anything but a "safe choice."
It needs a lot of care and feeding to make it sound right (and when you do it does).
So go with the HE500 for your needs.

Safe because I've owned a pair before and know what to expect, what they need, what I don't like, etc. The HE500 sounds like a fantastic choice but I've never heard them so it's more guess work involved.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,533 of 5,854
Quote:
Safe because I've owned a pair before and know what to expect, what they need, what I don't like, etc. The HE500 sounds like a fantastic choice but I've never heard them so it's more guess work involved.

Yep,

Stick with what you know..
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,534 of 5,854
Quote:
I sent you a PM, please check, thanks

You just joined with 2 posts and want to buy a $1600 pair of headphones... uh hu, I'll get right on that.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,535 of 5,854
Quote:
Great Review over so many great phones!

I just purchased some BeyerDynamic DT 880 (250 ohms So I can do portable and desktop) from Amazon for $240 and can't wait, these will be my first Over Ear phones as all I have had is some Sony MDR-EX85 In Ear.

Does anyone have a recommended  amp that can be portable and can be used on a desktop also, looking for $130 or less.

It's just a touch over $130, but the Objective2 is a great little amp, and phenomenal for the price. I use one with my Q701s and it has more than enough power to bring them to life. Sounds great, and is basically ruler-flat.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,537 of 5,854
Dec 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,538 of 5,854
I've begun preliminary writing on the HE-400 tonight, just impressions and such.  Hopefully I'll have it up in about 3 weeks.  I hope to have another one up too at about the same time if time allows.

it feels weird to be writing again lol.  i promised myself it was over for a while and here it is again :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,541 of 5,854
Dec 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,543 of 5,854
Quote:

Well, that kind of forecloses your options if you mainly decide on getting something that you had before. And, reading between the lines or just trying to read your mind, I guess you wouldn't be asking the question
at all here if you were extremely satisfied with the HD800s. 
But listen, I've had HD800s for 3+ years (2 pairs of original and newest vintage using several different cables) and I have to say I prefer the HE500s (all with the same upstream systems).
So I will go out on a limb here and suggest you take a risk and get the HE500s. And with the $$ you save you can pick up a Moon Silver Dragon cable for the phones and add that marginal goodness 
that really propels them upward.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,544 of 5,854
Quote:
Well, that kind of forecloses your options if you mainly decide on getting something that you had before. And, reading between the lines or just trying to read your mind, I guess you wouldn't be asking the question
at all here if you were extremely satisfied with the HD800s. 
But listen, I've had HD800s for 3+ years (2 pairs of original and newest vintage using several different cables) and I have to say I prefer the HE500s (all with the same upstream systems).
So I will go out on a limb here and suggest you take a risk and get the HE500s. And with the $$ you save you can pick up a Moon Silver Dragon cable for the phones and add that marginal goodness 
that really propels them upward.

Ha, this is headfi, there are few here extremely satisfied with anything for very long. You seem to be an exception. The lack of LF impact was what drove me away from the HD800 but that was when I had the Concerto and vDac so am hoping they will do better with my current rig. I'm very interested in the HE500 and have updated my FS listing to reflect that I am open to trades (+cash) for either the HD800 or HE500 however the HE500 is pretty hot right now and I'll probably be hard pressed to snag a used one in as good of condition as my LCD-2's are but who knows. The things I've read about the HE500's rendering of vocals really peaked my interest. My favorite instrument is the female voice 
atsmile.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,545 of 5,854
Quote:
I've begun preliminary writing on the HE-400 tonight, just impressions and such.  Hopefully I'll have it up in about 3 weeks.  I hope to have another one up too at about the same time if time allows.

it feels weird to be writing again lol.  i promised myself it was over for a while and here it is again :D

I just want to say thank you in advance.  Can't wait to read your review on the 400s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back