Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #241 of 5,854
WOW DavidMahler

The best of the best man good job. Now you make this thread shining and shining,but where is the HE-400?
frown.gif

smile_phones.gif

Ok i wanna ask something, I m planing to get HD-600 or 650 or  HE-400.
Sorce: hifiman 601
Amp  : schiit Lyr on the way
Genre: chillout, classecal indyan, newadge, Trance.  Loud but not too loud . Non fatigue is very important to me.
Natural sond with a bit base.

Thx

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #242 of 5,854
Stunning. I have not gotten a single thing done at work today thanks to this thread. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #245 of 5,854
Quote:
WOW DavidMahler

The best of the best man good job. Now you make this thread shining and shining,but where is the HE-400?
frown.gif

smile_phones.gif

Ok i wanna ask something, I m planing to get HD-600 or 650 or  HE-400.
Sorce: hifiman 601
Amp  : schiit Lyr on the way
Genre: chillout, classecal indyan, newadge, Trance.  Loud but not too loud . Non fatigue is very important to me.
Natural sond with a bit base.

Thx

I haven't heard the HE400 so I don't know which will be better, but I don't find the HD600 and HD650 to fatiguing. If you like something more neutral go with the HD600, but if you like a fuller sound go with the HD650.  They actually sound very similar.  :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #246 of 5,854
[size=small]Quick, who came first: Purcell or Palestrina? [/size]​
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] How many of you here on Head-Fi were able to answer this? Well, no worries, I had to look it up too... but not David Mahler. Damn, he knows everything. With that said, I have long thought that David is the single most valuable member of Head-Fi. (No, this is not a contest and I have the utmost respect for the likes of Jude and everyone else here.)[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] What makes David different is that he puts music first, music reproduction second. Ahh, I hear the protests of everyone else who say that they put music first. To that I say, "Stop". Do you really have that rare kind of mind that understands what makes one Bach fugue superior to another Bach fugue? Can you make a rational argument of what strengths an unequal temperament scale has over an equal temperament scale? [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Ahh, so you say, you don't follow classical music. So rock music is your thing, ehh. Did you know that David Mahler is in his own band and will wax philosophical over the origination of rock music, whether or not it comes from the blues or Timbuktu?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] If you can answer all of this in the affirmative then you might be the equal of David Mahler. Well, that is a feat indeed but what makes David so valuable to the Head-Fi community is that he comes to the community armed with a brain like his, smarts and curiosity, and to be frank, a bank account to fund this hobby that is headphones. Just look at what his relentless efforts has produced for all of us to partake of. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] And here he is, rising from the ashes like a Phoenix taking flight. Here today and gone tomorrow. No matter. I am always so excited to see that Beethoven avatar. It is always a sight to sore eyes. In the few times we have messaged each other, David has been nothing but kind. To say that David is brilliant is a understatement but the fact that he is so modest is a treasure. He is one of those people who understand that the more you know, the more you don't know. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] A long time ago, David invited me to a performance that he and his band were playing but I could not go because of work (I work 60 hours a week as a bartender and I'm a struggling artist). Someday I wish to see David perform but right now, I am in heaven reading this review. It must be one of the greatest audiophile reviews ever, not just on Head-Fi but anywhere! [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] David, if you are ever in downtown Manhattan, performing a show or listening to gregorian chant at Trinity Church, come in to visit. Drinks are on me. It would be an honor.[/size]

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #249 of 5,854
Thank you very much for the praise. It's very heartwarming!

I would like to comment on my employment at headphones.com:

I have been extremely fortunate to land a job in the audio community.  It is a hobby that I love.  I owe a great deal of gratitude to head-fi specifically for playing a significant role in the acquisition of my current job.  As a matter of fact, I looked at this evaluation partially as a thank you for all that head-fi has done for me personally.

When it comes to whether my opinions have been swayed by any outside variables such as my place of work, I can say wholeheartedly that they have not been.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #250 of 5,854
Quote:
[size=small]Quick, who came first: Purcell or Palestrina? [/size]​
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] How many of you here on Head-Fi were able to answer this? Well, no worries, I had to look it up too... but not David Mahler. Damn, he knows everything. With that said, I have long thought that David is the single most valuable member of Head-Fi. (No, this is not a contest and I have the utmost respect for the likes of Jude and everyone else here.)[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] What makes David different is that he puts music first, music reproduction second. Ahh, I hear the protests of everyone else who say that they put music first. To that I say, "Stop". Do you really have that rare kind of mind that understands what makes one Bach fugue superior to another Bach fugue? Can you make a rational argument of what strengths an unequal temperament scale has over an equal temperament scale? [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Ahh, so you say, you don't follow classical music. So rock music is your thing, ehh. Did you know that David Mahler is in his own band and will wax philosophical over the origination of rock music, whether or not it comes from the blues or Timbuktu?[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] If you can answer all of this in the affirmative then you might be the equal of David Mahler. Well, that is a feat indeed but what makes David so valuable to the Head-Fi community is that he comes to the community armed with a brain like his, smarts and curiosity, and to be frank, a bank account to fund this hobby that is headphones. Just look at what his relentless efforts has produced for all of us to partake of. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] And here he is, rising from the ashes like a Phoenix taking flight. Here today and gone tomorrow. No matter. I am always so excited to see that Beethoven avatar. It is always a sight to sore eyes. In the few times we have messaged each other, David has been nothing but kind. To say that David is brilliant is a understatement but the fact that he is so modest is a treasure. He is one of those people who understand that the more you know, the more you don't know. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] A long time ago, David invited me to a performance that he and his band were playing but I could not go because of work (I work 60 hours a week as a bartender and I'm a struggling artist). Someday I wish to see David perform but right now, I am in heaven reading this review. It must be one of the greatest audiophile reviews ever, not just on Head-Fi but anywhere! [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] David, if you are ever in downtown Manhattan, performing a show or listening to gregorian chant at Trinity Church, come in to visit. Drinks are on me. It would be an honor.[/size]

David, thanks man! How does one one respond to such praise. I will say, posts like this make my latest bank statements sting less :)

I'll definitely be happy to get a drink sometime!

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #251 of 5,854
Quote:
I have been extremely fortunate to land a job in the audio community.  It is a hobby that I love.  I owe a great deal of gratitude to head-fi specifically for playing a significant role in the acquisition of my current job.  As a matter of fact, I looked at this evaluation partially as a thank you for all that head-fi has done for me personally.

... and just when you thought that your job is done, it is just beginning. Again, thanks, and I can't wait to read your review on the JH-16 Pro Freqphase.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #252 of 5,854
I agree, David has a great appreciation for music (and an understanding of it as well) that is rare on these forums, and serves to augment (no musical pun intended) his thoughts and opinions beyond that of many "normal" users.  We haven't spoken music in a while, but I do remember the feeling of a kindred musical spirit.

Nitpick - That avatar is of Mahler, not Beethoven.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #254 of 5,854
Thanks David for this definitive guide to help minimize my buyers remorse I have now or will have on any future HP purchases
regular_smile .gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #255 of 5,854
Jude, any thoughts on adding a thread stickie function on HFi? That way people don't need to bookmark or forum-search for good threads like this when it gets a few pages off front-page.

Definitely agree with you on this one. A work like this needs to be a sticky for the forum, or at least kept on the main page at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back