Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,951 of 5,854
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,952 of 5,854
Quote:
Come to think of it, I do light my bong with vacuum tube filaments... ;p

LOL!

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,953 of 5,854
Quote:

I'd be happy to take it off your hands 
wink.gif

Leave it to Beaver.. 

"Get it"
wink_face.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,954 of 5,854
Hmmm, it sounds like HE-500 treble should be really nice... I enjoy those LCD-2 as a whole - the bass is natural and very well extended and cooperates with mids very well. There is no sense of glare in voices and treble is very suitable even for badly recorded/mastered music. The level of detail is very nice... I do not need it to go any further in this regard. Soundstage is also very nice, I do not find it lacking for my tastes...

To my ears, it's a very nice and versatile pair, it does everything very well... I am thinking of what I would like to be improved... Maybe even better transparency, a bit more air, even tighter bass (if possible) and even more smooth treble (if possible). But only in relative terms, I am already 90% happy with my LCD-2 even in those areas!

Then only thing u have to do is try the he500 from someone..preferently with the right amp....or get a rich girlfriend/wife to buy one for u with a 337/339 amp as a belated christmas present :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,956 of 5,854
Quote:

Hmmm, I guess I should give HE-500 an extensive listen... But I am a bit scared as I have a phobia of words like "sparkling", "zingier" or "shiny" in terms of treble. I guess it's just my ears.
redface.gif

If I find the treble of LCD-2 rev2 (the newest) to be ideal (definitely do not want it to be more present, a very little boost could be "alright"), should I bother with HE-500 (I do not listen to classical and this sort of)?

I'm going to side with preproman and suggest the LCD-3.  It's very likely that most of the Hifiman line and the Sennheiser HD800 will be a touch too much for you.

Quote:
It's all good. The usual advice is the best... try 'em before you buy 'em.

The Head-Fi consensus is fairly supportive of the HiFiMans, so hey, perhaps me and my local headphone posse are too high on 'stat/HD800 fumes to relate. Come to think of it, I do light my bong with vacuum tube filaments... ;p

When I auditioned the HE-6, LCD-3, and the HD800, the HD800 was easily my favorite, and yet I ended up buying the HE-6 because I got a good deal and really wanted to try them from a speaker amp (not disappointing at all though still on the bright side).  I'm fairly certain I'll end up with the HD800 as well once I find a good deal or get a raise...

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,957 of 5,854
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #1,958 of 5,854
Quote:

Hmmm, it sounds like HE-500 treble should be really nice... I enjoy those LCD-2 as a whole - the bass is natural and very well extended and cooperates with mids very well. There is no sense of glare in voices and treble is very suitable even for badly recorded/mastered music. The level of detail is very nice... I do not need it to go any further in this regard. Soundstage is also very nice, I do not find it lacking for my tastes...

To my ears, it's a very nice and versatile pair, it does everything very well... I am thinking of what I would like to be improved... Maybe even better transparency, a bit more air, even tighter bass (if possible) and even more smooth treble (if possible). But only in relative terms, I am already 90% happy with my LCD-2 even in those areas!

Yeah I think you may have to look at the LCD3 for those improvements. Although some still prefer the bass on the LCD2's...

The HE500's for me are a different flavour. A lighter shade. A bit softer and airyer. Great for Ambient and Classical for e.g.  

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,963 of 5,854
Quote:

But is it worth 2000USD in comparison to 1000USD LCD-2? A rational opinion would be welcome... But I guess that would sound like "NO!!!".

Maybe I should try to find LCD-3 pads and try them on my pair but not successful yet...

I guess that would be relative.  I guess you can say I like clear smooth highs.  the LCD didn't do it for me - the LCD-3 did.

I was just thinking that you like the LCD house sound.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #1,964 of 5,854
Quote:

Have you had a chance to hear LCD-3s?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope. But based on what improvements I would like I'd also look to those.. Hopefully I'll own them one day
tongue_smile.gif
.  It sounds like you're happy with the LCD2's so I'd recommend trying different amps and dacs to fine tune it. I hear a massive improvement with my Rdac over my other dacs for e'g. It adds sharpness and more control through-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back