The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 13, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #10,231 of 12,992
Hey everyone,

I've been using the TH-900 for something like 2 years as my main headphones (after using an AKG K701, a Senn HD 600 and a Hifiman HE 400). I still love them but I've been thinking of mixing it up and trying some other headphones. Are there any significant upgrades from the TH-900 for some bassy headphones that still have high all around audio quality? Budget is ~2000 USD max.

I read about the Taction KANNON but I'm not really interested.

I've been thinking of trying the LCD2 Classics and the Focal Clear but I'm not really sure how they compare to the TH-900 as bassy headphones. I live in Europe so the Audeze LCD2c aren't available yet and will probably be overpriced as always (especially compared to their current discount which we won't get). The Focal are super easy to find though considering I currently live in France.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #10,232 of 12,992
Hey everyone,

I've been using the TH-900 for something like 2 years as my main headphones (after using an AKG K701, a Senn HD 600 and a Hifiman HE 400). I still love them but I've been thinking of mixing it up and trying some other headphones. Are there any significant upgrades from the TH-900 for some bassy headphones that still have high all around audio quality? Budget is ~2000 USD max.

I've been thinking of trying the LCD2 Classics and the Focal Clear but I'm not really sure how they compare to the TH-900 as bassy headphones. I live in Europe so the Audeze LCD2c aren't available yet and will probably be overpriced as always (especially compared to their current discount which we won't get). The Focal are super easy to find though considering I currently live in France.

Any advice?
TH-900 are the top dogs, save your money

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #10,233 of 12,992
I'm the oddball here and I didn't like the PM-3 at all. Mucho sucko to my ears. The PM-2 is more enjoyable in the bass department. Tried the THX-00 and wasn't impressed. Didn't like the signature at all, even on my rig. Heard the modded Monoliths and the bass was awesome. Heard one of the Audeze planars and was equally impressed. That Focal Elear is worthless in the bass department. The drivers used in the Focal bottoms out way to quick. It's build for speed and not slow low monster subbass. But sounds really nice overall, with new cables......
The planars just need more power to shine in the bass department. Power as in higher voltage vs current for the dynamic drivers. Miss jammin on my Hifiman 400i.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #10,234 of 12,992
Hey everyone,

Any advice?

I have the kannons but I recommend the RBH HP2. They are awesome for subass and can take a lot of bass boost

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #10,236 of 12,992
Hey basshead-ers the ath ws1100is is going for $130~ is it a good buy?

I'd say that is a pretty fair deal. I haven't heard the 1100iS, but I own their little brother headphone, the WS770iS and they hit pretty decently. Below is a video I made of the WS770iS doing the bass paper test, and you can see they are able to move some paper with my iDSD.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #10,237 of 12,992
I'd say that is a pretty fair deal. I haven't heard the 1100iS, but I own their little brother headphone, the WS770iS and they hit pretty decently. Below is a video I made of the WS770iS doing the bass paper test, and you can see they are able to move some paper with my iDSD.

Any ideas how the ws1100 would sound though?
I'm considering that as well as the ath m50x and vmoda m100. I'm coming from the CAL!2 but if you've got other recommendations for a cheaper($200USD tops?) bassy headphones with warm and smooth sound
I'd like to hear them.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #10,238 of 12,992

Pretty decent paper movement

giphy.gif

look nice too :)

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #10,239 of 12,992
Hey everyone,

Any advice?
The only other option you really have is ZMF, and that's probably considered a sidegrade by a lot of people. They are certainly reviewing favorably, but the th900 has that long standing success. Maybe a Sony Z1R would also bring something different to the table.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #10,240 of 12,992
Hey everyone,

Any advice?
I have the TH900, LCD-2, Denon D7000 and D5000. Nine times out of 10 I each for the D7000. The Fostex and Denon are both monsters in the low end, but I find the 7000 more buttery, more natural, has a little more slam, and I just like the treble on the Denon more. The TH is more analytical and is beautiful on the hi and low end end, but I find it fatiguing at volumes I enjoy as the highs really extend. Not saying a little eq can't assist, but I like to just plug in the 7000 and roll. They have the same signature, and are certainly related, I just favor the Denon flavor. Nothing wrong with having both in my opinion. The only genre that I may, at times, prefer the TH over the Denon is with "some" of the EDM stuff... Trap, dub step etc. I'd actually love to hear the Kannon.

Jan 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #10,241 of 12,992
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #10,242 of 12,992
TH-900 are the top dogs, save your money

I have the kannons but I recommend the RBH HP2. They are awesome for subass and can take a lot of bass boost

The only other option you really have is ZMF, and that's probably considered a sidegrade by a lot of people. They are certainly reviewing favorably, but the th900 has that long standing success. Maybe a Sony Z1R would also bring something different to the table.

I have the TH900, LCD-2, Denon D7000 and D5000. Nine times out of 10 I each for the D7000. The Fostex and Denon are both monsters in the low end, but I find the 7000 more buttery, more natural, has a little more slam, and I just like the treble on the Denon more. The TH is more analytical and is beautiful on the hi and low end end, but I find it fatiguing at volumes I enjoy as the highs really extend. Not saying a little eq can't assist, but I like to just plug in the 7000 and roll. They have the same signature, and are certainly related, I just favor the Denon flavor. Nothing wrong with having both in my opinion. The only genre that I may, at times, prefer the TH over the Denon is with "some" of the EDM stuff... Trap, dub step etc. I'd actually love to hear the Kannon.

Thanks for all the answers! I'm gonna stay with my TH-900 for the moment, then.

I know they've always been considered pretty good and I'm enjoying them but I didn't really follow the new releases for these last 2 years so I was wondering if some new headphones I hadn't heard about had redefined the bassy headphones high-end segment. Kinda disappointed that it doesn't seem so; hope we'll see some new beast bassy high end headphones in the next months/years(?).

Thanks again!

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #10,244 of 12,992
Thanks for all the answers! I'm gonna stay with my TH-900 for the moment, then.

I know they've always been considered pretty good and I'm enjoying them but I didn't really follow the new releases for these last 2 years so I was wondering if some new headphones I hadn't heard about had redefined the bassy headphones high-end segment. Kinda disappointed that it doesn't seem so; hope we'll see some new beast bassy high end headphones in the next months/years(?).

Thanks again!

If your still looking to try planers. Great cheap option would be the monoprice 1060. Can be had for great price in the used market

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10,245 of 12,992
I'm the oddball here and I didn't like the PM-3 at all. Mucho sucko to my ears. The PM-2 is more enjoyable in the bass department. Tried the THX-00 and wasn't impressed. Didn't like the signature at all, even on my rig. Heard the modded Monoliths and the bass was awesome. Heard one of the Audeze planars and was equally impressed. That Focal Elear is worthless in the bass department. The drivers used in the Focal bottoms out way to quick. It's build for speed and not slow low monster subbass. But sounds really nice overall, with new cables......
The planars just need more power to shine in the bass department. Power as in higher voltage vs current for the dynamic drivers. Miss jammin on my Hifiman 400i.

Wait, you're saying you didn't like the modded TH-X00PH - I thought you liked them?
Modded M1060 are nice planars for bass, but not at modded TH-X00PH level though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back