The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 23, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #9,256 of 12,970
Received my SZ1000's today and my first reaction was "these things are gigantic." They looked pretty big in the pictures but I always thought it was an optical illusion or something, turns out they are big. Anyway, plugged them into my iFi Micro iDSD with X Bass engaged then did some EQ'ing and WOW! People weren't kidding, there is gobs of bass. Decided to compare my Pro 900's and well, the 900's were totally outclassed in the bass category. I guess the 40mm drivers just can't keep up. My first night and I'm very impressed. I'm listening to some of the Social Network soundtrack and the bass sounds great... in fact everything sounds great, these are great sounding headphones. Can't wait to hear the SZ2000's.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #9,257 of 12,970
  Received my SZ1000's today and my first reaction was "these things are gigantic." They looked pretty big in the pictures but I always thought it was an optical illusion or something, turns out they are big. Anyway, plugged them into my iFi Micro iDSD with X Bass engaged then did some EQ'ing and WOW! People weren't kidding, there is gobs of bass. Decided to compare my Pro 900's and well, the 900's were totally outclassed in the bass category. I guess the 40mm drivers just can't keep up. My first night and I'm very impressed. I'm listening to some of the Social Network soundtrack and the bass sounds great... in fact everything sounds great, these are great sounding headphones. Can't wait to hear the SZ2000's.

​Had mine for years now. Transformer movie a few nights ago was epic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #9,262 of 12,970
where does Denon D7k and D5k rank here

I owned them both.
They are more refined and do not hit as hard as the TH600 and TH-X00.
They are supposed to be almost identical(denons TH's)
I wanted them to be slammers but with an ifi iDSD micro, Cayin c5 and a FiiO e12 I was unable to get them to the same level as the ones on the list

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #9,263 of 12,970
I wonder how the D2000 would fare considering it's supposed to be less refined than their bigger brothers. Then again, I hear that the D5000 has more bass than the D2000 overall so it probably wouldn't matter much.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #9,264 of 12,970
  foobar2000, ReaPlugs 32 bit edition, George Yohngs VST Wrapper, EQ by ear not by eye!

I have an EQ for Foobar, but that only works for music playing through Foobar correct? Is there any good general OS level EQ's that apply to all applications. 

My S1K's came in and I am somewhat concerned. There appears to be a rattle in the right cup that isn't present in the left cup? Does that sound familiar to anybody? This is essentially fresh out of the box. I don't know if it has anything to do with the tech they use and the need to break in. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #9,267 of 12,970
  I have an EQ for Foobar, but that only works for music playing through Foobar correct? Is there any good general OS level EQ's that apply to all applications. 

My S1K's came in and I am somewhat concerned. There appears to be a rattle in the right cup that isn't present in the left cup? Does that sound familiar to anybody? This is essentially fresh out of the box. I don't know if it has anything to do with the tech they use and the need to break in. 

i never tried. I know solutions exist but I am picky because I master music for other people and myself professionally.... so I use these tools myself daily and only use what I like best. If there is a VST wrapper that works system wide you can bet I'd use ReaEq. I just run a VST wrapper plugin for foobar because it is stable and local to foobar. cause i might go between listening to music and working on mixes and not have to bother shutting off EQ in between.

You ain't gonna do a whole lot better than ReaEq unless you get an Avalon and throw it under your headphone amp 
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #9,268 of 12,970
where does Denon D7k and D5k rank here

I owned them both.
They are more refined and do not hit as hard as the TH600 and TH-X00.
They are supposed to be almost identical(denons TH's)
I wanted them to be slammers but with an ifi iDSD micro, Cayin c5 and a FiiO e12 I was unable to get them to the same level as the ones on the list

Nothing really to add here, I don't think they belong on the list either.

If you go back in the thread to when HBB got his 5k, i had no idea and had bought some D7k which showed up the same day (or next day?)

Point is we both sold them in less than a week? I also wanted it to be a slammer but just could not get anywhere close to slam level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back