The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #9,226 of 12,992
(My IE match has always been off. Pre-amp or direct does not make a difference for me. Still distorts at around the 11-12 o'clock mark.

I'm seriously considering buying the Cayin C5 just to make sure that my dac/amp isn't defective. Or maybe my SZ2000's are defective. Man...I'm getting a bass-load of regret right now.

FWIW, this is iFi's response:

Thanks for your update.

To test if the unit has a problem we advise to run without any EQing. If you are adjusting the EQ for bass and flick XBass at the same time you may get bass distortion but this is down to a number of factors from EQ, XBass, type of HP, track, other devices in chain etc.

We can not test as we do no have the same HP or audio track to test. Past that you are also running the iDSD BL in Turbo mode so if your HP's are easily driven and use Turbo mode (4Watts), plus XBass and EQing mods then distortion maybe present.

We advise to dial in the power setting so you have volume past 12 o'clock and that the volume is comfortable. If the HP is too loud before 12 o'clock then they are driven rather quickly.

Past that we haven't had a problem with the BL or iDSD (silver) regarding distortion in bass which is why we recommend to rule in / out some factors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.)

I was gonna ask, what's the power difference (watts per channel) between the 2 dacs your using/comparing?

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #9,227 of 12,992
  (My IE match has always been off. Pre-amp or direct does not make a difference for me. Still distorts at around the 11-12 o'clock mark.

I'm seriously considering buying the Cayin C5 just to make sure that my dac/amp isn't defective. Or maybe my SZ2000's are defective. Man...I'm getting a bass-load of regret right now.

Thanks for your update.

To test if the unit has a problem we advise to run without any EQing. If you are adjusting the EQ for bass and flick XBass at the same time you may get bass distortion but this is down to a number of factors from EQ, XBass, type of HP, track, other devices in chain etc.

We can not test as we do no have the same HP or audio track to test. Past that you are also running the iDSD BL in Turbo mode so if your HP's are easily driven and use Turbo mode (4Watts), plus XBass and EQing mods then distortion maybe present.

We advise to dial in the power setting so you have volume past 12 o'clock and that the volume is comfortable. If the HP is too loud before 12 o'clock then they are driven rather quickly.

Past that we haven't had a problem with the BL or iDSD (silver) regarding distortion in bass which is why we recommend to rule in / out some factors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.)

I was gonna ask, what's the power difference (watts per channel) between the 2 dacs your using/comparing?

cant be defective SZ2000 if they sound right some of the time.

post your EQ maybe and ensure it's not being bypassed?

"we haven't had a problem with the BL or iDSD (silver) regarding distortion in bass" - yeah right LMAO including several cases on video in the last few pages of this thread. geez

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #9,228 of 12,992

Thanks for your update.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.)

"we haven't had a problem with the BL or iDSD (silver) regarding distortion in bass" - yeah right LMAO including several cases on video in the last few pages of this thread. geez
Seems like a bass boost (eq) on top of a bass boost (iDSD) could equal distortion? O.o

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,229 of 12,992
  Seems like a bass boost (eq) on top of a bass boost (iDSD) could equal distortion? O.o

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My EQ is bass boosted, my X Bass is on on my iDSD and it goes past 1 on the dial with no distortion. But, it isn't a Black Label, which seems to be the one having the issue.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #9,230 of 12,992

My EQ is bass boosted, my X Bass is on on my iDSD and it goes past 1 on the dial with no distortion. But, it isn't a Black Label, which seems to be the one having the issue.

ok, I rarely go past 1oclock (even on the Eco setting) on my Black Edition so maybe the reason I havn't experienced this. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #9,231 of 12,992

ok, I rarely go past 1oclock (even on the Eco setting) on my Black Edition so maybe the reason I havn't experienced this. 

Yeah, 1 o'clock is only for the rare occasions you want to shake your brain case around, lol. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #9,232 of 12,992

​If the M100 were uncomfy the 700mk2 will crush your skull until you f'ing die. Sonic wise they both tilt dark with rolled treble (sound to me) and can be EQd to thumping bass levels. Pad changes for both are advised and amp and EQ.

Folks that love the 700mk2 are the same ones who cut holes in ice then jump into the water naked.

Do you know of any other potential comparable headphones?

I assume the SZ1000's can be pretty comfortable with HM5's. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #9,234 of 12,992

Do you know of any other potential comparable headphones?

I assume the SZ1000's can be pretty comfortable with HM5's. 

The SZ  thunder. You need to be comfortable with big to minutia EQ adjusting to find your personal pref. They are not open the box and go cans. They need pads power eq and patience. Car audio mentality.
 WS99 are kinda flimsy but they can hammer and have same drivers tuned the same as the 700mk2. TH600 THX-00 are also bass beasts when pushed

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #9,235 of 12,992

Any settings I should be modifying within foobar?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #9,236 of 12,992

Any settings I should be modifying within foobar?

​THD % on the freq spectrum tends to be tilted to the sub bass and is generally elevated out to 50Hz or more with driver specific anomalies across the spectrum.
I'm sure you know that

You might wanna try playing with the lowest boost peaking at 30-45Hz and adjusting the band by ear and ignoring a cut into the 10-20Hz range. It may not look BOSS but it might sound it.

EQ by eye for bassheads means ski slopes but that is a trap. EQ with ears not eyes.

I use 3 peaks on SZ for the last 2 years (unless bass testing for max output before audible distortion) 35/45ish 65 and whatever will falloff before 300 (250-300ish). your cut looks about right.(maybe more cut and less BW, like a spike  using a 4 string bass guitar solo hunting for the highest string and cutting a spike after it as it applies to all music) EQ is a personal thing. If distortion is an issue try to forget shelves and peak eq all the way

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #9,238 of 12,992
Hi!

Im looking for a new pair of headphones, currently have the Fidelio X2s, which are great but i want something with more subbass emphasis and more "laid back" sound (I boost 30-60 hz and cut around 4k with eq). Im a basshead but still want details. I really like the "airy", smooth sound of the X2 but i guess i cant get that with closed headphones. Have tried the m100, hd 8 dj and the dt770 (too sharp and bright sounding for me) still prefer the X2s...

I recently found the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2, 53mm drivers and possibly Sony MDR-Z7, 70mm or HiFiMAN HE-400i. Could they be something for me or any other recommendations?

Maybe its not possible to get that high quantity/impact subbass in over ear headphones that i want and i should aim for iems?

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #9,239 of 12,992
Hi!

Im looking for a new pair of headphones, currently have the Fidelio X2s, which are great but i want something with more subbass emphasis and more "laid back" sound (I boost 30-60 hz and cut around 4k with eq). Im a basshead but still want details. I really like the "airy", smooth sound of the X2 but i guess i cant get that with closed headphones. Have tried the m100, hd 8 dj and the dt770 (too sharp and bright sounding for me) still prefer the X2s...

I recently found the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2, 53mm drivers and possibly Sony MDR-Z7, 70mm or HiFiMAN HE-400i. Could they be something for me or any other recommendations?

Maybe its not possible to get that high quantity/impact subbass in over ear headphones that i want and i should aim for iems?

try the fostex/massdrop thx00. has everything your looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back