The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #9,271 of 12,992
Do you find it a significant upgrade on the E12 and C5?

I do.

There is a bottle neck somewhere with the e12 and C5. Power ratings are plenty for SZ but distortion can be overwhelming past 1/2 a pot on both in high gain. iDSD in turbo will go almost full and slam hard with less audible distortion than both e12 and C5.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #9,272 of 12,992
Dear bass heads,

I just received a brand new set of audio technical ath-pro700mk2, but it is not living up to its reputation on this thread

With +30 to 40Hz, 0.7 bw, lower shelf, and -20 pregain on foobar FLAC convert, 700mk2 has no stronger bass than my other headphones (monoprice 8323, koss ports pro, Bose qc15), I've tried sources such as Walnut V2, Zishan dsd, and iPhone 7 / laptop with fiio e11

How to determine if I received a defective copy?

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #9,273 of 12,992
Quote:
Dear bass heads,

I just received a brand new set of audio technical ath-pro700mk2, but it is not living up to its reputation on this thread

With +30 to 40Hz, 0.7 bw, lower shelf, and -20 pregain on foobar FLAC convert, 700mk2 has no stronger bass than my other headphones (monoprice 8323, koss ports pro, Bose qc15), I've tried sources such as Walnut V2, Zishan dsd, and iPhone 7 / laptop with fiio e11

How to determine if I received a defective copy?

It will hit very hard. Worst part is clamp force. The situation is likely power. I do not know anyone with that amp. I saw the specs but I have never done a vid or seen a vid with that amp. It could be a bad set but the wildcard is the amp...IMO

If you can get hands on a e12 a C5 or an iDSD that can be checked (if it's the e11)

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #9,275 of 12,992
Here's a low-end banger for my fellow DROP fans...turn up the volume on your fave ear rattler and wait for it.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #9,276 of 12,992
With all that EQ and Amping, shouldn't it make most headphones bass heavy?

So are we really talking about all the slammage after leveling the playing field after EQ and amping?

I mean so with same amount of extreme EQ and amping the top ten list should have the most extreme bass right?

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,277 of 12,992

In my experience, that's not true. So many headphones are incapable of extreme lows. They distort or simply don't play the frequency at all. Sure, the headphones that make up the list require some power and EQ to achieve the lows they do, but applying that same amount of power and EQ to others will yield a much different and very ugly result, lol.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #9,278 of 12,992

So are we really talking about all the slammage after leveling the playing field after EQ and amping?

I mean so with same amount of extreme EQ and amping the top ten list should have the most extreme bass right?

No, most headphones will balk at too much power and distort. That is almost certain with 45 and 40mm drivers and mostly true for 50mm and above.
This is the Extreme Bass Club.

I literally blew the m-Audio Q40 and JVC 55x with sub 50Hz boosts and scorched the ccaw voice coils. It was fun. Then I became convinced the rec's on this site were based on nothing but in verifiable bullshi.

It's a list now but it was a twisted ghetto science project at it's start.  Nobody cares what cans are on the list besides fanboys. I don't care. show a vid and I confirm and it's on the list. Easy peazy...cept it aint so easy....for the cans. I'm fine but the drivers...they suffer.
For science...G_E_T_O Science :wink:

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #9,279 of 12,992
In my experience, that's not true. So many headphones are incapable of extreme lows. They distort or simply don't play the frequency at all. Sure, the headphones that make up the list require some power and EQ to achieve the lows they do, but applying that same amount of power and EQ to others will yield a much different and very ugly result, lol.

Ah ok, that makes sense

So the top ten list all require extreme EQ and amping, and they CAN take those extreme power while the others doesn't play those sub bass notes or distort

I assumed that if I go out and grab a pair of sz2000, plug it in and I am in basshead heaven without any extra work required lol

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #9,280 of 12,992
 No, most headphones will balk at too much power and distort. That is almost certain with 45 and 40mm drivers and mostly true for 50mm and above.
This is the Extreme Bass Club.

I literally blew the m-Audio Q40 and JVC 55x with sub 50Hz boosts and scorched the ccaw voice coils. It was fun. Then I became convinced the rec's on this site were based on nothing but in verifiable bullshi.

It's a list now but it was a twisted ghetto science project at it's start.  Nobody cares what cans are on the list besides fanboys. I don't care. show a vid and I confirm and it's on the list. Easy peazy...cept it aint so easy....for the cans. I'm fine but the drivers...they suffer.
For science...G_E_T_O Science :wink:

Question about the paper test, is it purely bass moving air or there's also physical vibration from housing to pads to paper that's causing paper to shake?

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #9,281 of 12,992
Question about the paper test, is it purely bass moving air or there's also physical vibration from housing to pads to paper that's causing paper to shake?

​Both
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #9,282 of 12,992
At same amp (fiio e11) and EQ settings (peq 45hz +30, low shelf) and from same sources (Zishan/iPhone 7/laptop), my JVC hafx101 and hafx102 iem has more bass quantity than my Pro700mk2

Is this just the way it is for iem vs cans?

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #9,283 of 12,992
At same amp (fiio e11) and EQ settings (peq 45hz +30, low shelf) and from same sources (Zishan/iPhone 7/laptop), my JVC hafx101 and hafx102 iem has more bass quantity than my Pro700mk2

Is this just the way it is for iem vs cans?

It's normal the IEMS don't require as much power as cans.............but never with IEMS so will get the same level of bass.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back