The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #8,746 of 12,991
Yeah, I have an idea for a more objective measurement tool of bass. It'd be tricky to implement given the wide variety of headphones.

But for anyone that's interested, I'd make a clear tube that seals over the driver. It'd have a little ball in there about the same diameter of the tube. . Once you have that, you can let the bass slam at constant frequency and the displacement of the ball would be an easy way to tell how hard it's objectively being hitten by dat bass. Pretty similar to the breathing test tunes and balls.

To take it to the next level, you can throw in some video processing software, and plot the dispacement over time/frequency during a bass sweep.
biggrin.gif

I hope to pursue this if I can ever get out of my crap job and make some extra cheddar to fund my own bass science.

How about just putting water in a tall shot glass and measuring the peak/average height?

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #8,750 of 12,991
 Video is still up. It's an edit error. Happens:wink:

The SZ2k video is a tribute to cb3723. He was a huge part of the birth of this thread so his name in the video title is a tribute.

List is going to be re-edited during the month. I'm just getting over the holiday decoration crush.
Nice avatar:D

Thanks Chris. Wonder what cb3723 (Bronson?) is doing now.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #8,752 of 12,991
Thanks Chris. Wonder what cb3723 (Bronson?) is doing now.

Buying expensive _______ and trolling aloof disconnected owners with as much objectivity he can apply.
We built this thread to utterly destroy the myths and his 3 favorites fell victim. (Signature DJ ,DX1000, LCD-XC).

We did tons of videos we never shared public. They were just to compare. He bought the exact gear as me every piece and used the same identical settings.

He never tried to change the test or anything he just copied me because he thought I was maybe full of ****. Then he realized we could see the # of Hz reflected in the paper and he got hooked.  We spent loads of cash. Never went on anyones opinion. No vid no rank different song no rank different test no rank. Your set will be back in. I need the info again. Sorry about the edit. The exact gear and settings info is so anyone can exactly replicate the claim.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #8,754 of 12,991

Speaking of...

Is there settings info for amps with no bass boost feature? In other words, parametric EQ settings to replicate your results?

Most of the original vids were done with jet effects on a Cowon. Mach3Bass +9 BBE+8 IIIRC? There are some graphs on the net to what the equates to.
The e12 bass boost was on. most of the lifting was via gain and the COWON settings though. The EQ on the COWON was off.

For optimal test results finding the hits and boosting those is best way

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #8,755 of 12,991

Buying expensive _______ and trolling aloof disconnected owners with as much objectivity he can apply.
We built this thread to utterly destroy the myths and his 3 favorites fell victim. (Signature DJ ,DX1000, LCD-XC).

We did tons of videos we never shared public. They were just to compare. He bought the exact gear as me every piece and used the same identical settings.

He never tried to change the test or anything he just copied me because he thought I was maybe full of ****. Then he realized we could see the # of Hz reflected in the paper and he got hooked.  We spent loads of cash. Never went on anyones opinion. No vid no rank different song no rank different test no rank. Your set will be back in. I need the info again. Sorry about the edit. The exact gear and settings info is so anyone can exactly replicate the claim.

HEADPHONE
Fostex TH-X00 (Mahogany)

DAP
Apple iPhone 6S Plus

EQ
Equalizer App by Audioforge Labs
40 Hz  Q=0.308  6.000 dB
156 Hz  Q=0.545  2.700 dB

DAC/AMP
Chord Mojo
Bass Boost N/A
Gain Switch N/A

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #8,756 of 12,991
  HEADPHONE
Fostex TH-X00 (Mahogany)

DAP
Apple iPhone 6S Plus

EQ
Equalizer App by Audioforge Labs
40 Hz  Q=0.308  6.000 dB
156 Hz  Q=0.545  2.700 dB

DAC/AMP
Chord Mojo
Bass Boost N/A
Gain Switch N/A

Done

I gotta reformat the list and add specs for the THX-00  but it's back listed next to the TH600 for right now

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #8,757 of 12,991

The only proof I needed for SZs was when Hail Mary sounded right. Even on XB, it didn't, which are more suited for EDM and not Hip Hop. Ofc when listening to some nice Ethiopian Tizita or Indian Classical music, one has to grab a neutral can
biggrin.gif
, though African drumming is delicious on the XB, and reggae is magic on the SZ.

How far off is the DX1000 from say a THX00?

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #8,758 of 12,991

The only proof I needed for SZs was when Hail Mary sounded right. Even on XB, it didn't, which are more suited for EDM and not Hip Hop. Ofc when listening to some nice Ethiopian Tizita or Indian Classical music, one has to grab a neutral can
biggrin.gif
, though African drumming is delicious on the XB, and reggae is magic on the SZ.

I agree that Reggea is magic with the SZ's.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #8,759 of 12,991
biggrin.gif

Since I use audiophile headphones for most music (the Focal Elear is my new favorite!), I haven't bothered making a pure audiophile tuning for the SZ2000. All my EQ settings for it are very bass-heavy, then tweaked to sound natural enough with electronic music. One of these days I'll try to get it to sound good with everything and share my settings.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #8,760 of 12,991

biggrin.gif

I agree that Reggea is magic with the SZ's.

I've got a Live album of Bob Marley and The Wailers called "Easy Skanking in Boston '78", and live reggae sounds amazing in the SZ2k's. "No Woman, No Cry", "Rebel Music", and "I Shot The Sheriff" are my favorites to listen to in the JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back