The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #8,716 of 12,991

Hmmm 
confused.gif
 I listen to SZ2k at slammin levels for hours at a time and have to make myself take them off eventually to keep my eardrums a little better. Surely there are others too?

I can handle it all day long.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can listen for hours. The slam is life affirming, lol.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #8,717 of 12,991
  Hmmm 
confused.gif
 I listen to SZ2k at slammin levels for hours at a time and have to make myself take them off eventually to keep my eardrums a little better. Surely there are others too?

No you're not the only one. Once you get lost in the bass tests, it can last for hours. But my music tastes go beyond just hip hop/reggae, so then i have to move onto other cans which just do certain weird instruments better.

Also, the only reason i will take them off (sz/xb) is b/c i'm like what the hell is that ringing sounds. Sometimes i have audio hallucinations

but thats ok b/c its all about the bass

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #8,718 of 12,991
  Hmmm 
confused.gif

I definitely let them slam haha, but perhaps not as much as you and some others..  To clarify my other post though, the X00 doesn't really reach unsustainable levels for me. The bass on the SZ2K just keeps going where the X00 seems to just taper off or distort and I end up with overwhelming mids and treble...my definition of slamming only lasts me maybe 15-20 minutes tops before my ears will hurt and I'll have a headache for at least 24 hrs. after. 

For quantitative measure, the threshold for me is about where my iCAN shuts off at max gain.  Depends on the frequency, but the iCAN has trouble powering the really low frequencies to big levels.  Looking forward to getting one of their more powerful offerings in the near future.

But overall, the sonic qualities of the X00 and ability to still produce copious amounts of sustainable bass make it the clear winner for me, especially since the price of a used one isn't too much more than an SZ2K. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,719 of 12,991

I definitely let them slam haha, but perhaps not as much as you and some others..  To clarify my other post though, the X00 doesn't really reach unsustainable levels for me. The bass on the SZ2K just keeps going where the X00 seems to just taper off or distort and I end up with overwhelming mids and treble...my definition of slamming only lasts me maybe 15-20 minutes tops before my ears will hurt and I'll have a headache for at least 24 hrs. after. 

For quantitative measure, the threshold for me is about where my iCAN shuts off at max gain.  Depends on the frequency, but the iCAN has trouble powering the really low frequencies to big levels.  Looking forward to getting one of their more powerful offerings in the near future.

But overall, the sonic qualities of the X00 and ability to still produce copious amounts of sustainable bass make it the clear winner for me, especially since the price of a used one isn't too much more than an SZ2K. 

Well if as Tyll says they are superior to d5k/d7k and can provide that paper shaking slam, then well you can't really beat it. I wonder how the E-MU, 610, fit on this list

They can't be that bass light can they?

biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,721 of 12,991
  All them peeps only shipping their used amps to the US and Canada on ebay, it breaks my heart.

Any word on the FiiO E10K? It seems to have a bass switch?

you can try to look for one in the classifieds here in the forums.  People are willing to ship it to you if your willing to pay for the extra shipping cost.  or you can put out a classified asking for one in your country.
  From what I read on the thread is that it can produce so much bass you'd stop before the SZ2000's will.  I also see people claiming that they will rattle off your head, but there's no way I see that happening.  

I know for a fact that I'm not getting what you guys are getting, but I wasn't expecting to as I'm using a PC.  Given that I heard about these 2ks from this thread, I was well aware that using a PC would mean we'd be hearing very different things.  However, if the bass I feel barely moves paper, I can't even imagine what guys are getting.  That's what surprising to me.  

I'm going to read/search the thread for setups that doesn't rely on a pc.   

you can get a e12 or c5, this way you can hook it up to your pc or phone.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #8,722 of 12,991
Well if as Tyll says they are superior to d5k/d7k and can provide that paper shaking slam, then well you can't really beat it. I wonder how the E-MU, 610, fit on this list

They can't be that bass light can they?

:D

Yeah, I've been wondering about those too. I read the 610 was pretty neutral , but I'm sure it must respond to eq very well accordingly. I was this (emphasized) close to getting one before @chillaxing hooked me up with my x00 for a great deal (thanks again!)

Anyway, the thx00 apparantly has a more powerful magnet going for it. And I think part of what makes the x00 hit well is the relatively small opening for the ear pads. It really pumps a lot of bass energy through a small area, giving good taction without having to go to the heavy heavy levels.

The 1.5 tesla magnet of the th900 is probably is something really special to behold. Definitely going to pass the z1r for now and focus all my attention on picking one of them up no later than March. Probably my real "endgame" until the next fostex totl...which I simultaneously hope and don't hope comes out any time soon.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #8,723 of 12,991
  @xXZexxMooreXx  Have you tried right in to your phone instead to see if there is a difference?

Un-amped I get better sound from my Samsung Galaxy s6 than I do a $450 MSI gaming motherboard

I haven't yet because I don't have anything else, not even a cell phone cause I'm not into that.  I just ordered the 77x's for the pads and I will be reading through the thread for players and stuff.  

Have you tried the SZ2000's for gaming?

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #8,724 of 12,991

you can try to look for one in the classifieds here in the forums.  People are willing to ship it to you if your willing to pay for the extra shipping cost.  or you can put out a classified asking for one in your country.

you can get a e12 or c5, this way you can hook it up to your pc or phone.

I have the e12 through pc, but I don't know what I'm doing with the eq either.  The bass will distort before it's too much for me, and I've never listened to bass up close outside of these headphones.  I also have sensitive hears, so I have a ways to go before I'll know what these things can really do.      

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #8,725 of 12,991

resonance with the plastic chassis causes a tone out where the bass just turns into a blaring horn. At slam levels everything else is pretty useless. If this is for a kid just getting into bass headphones it is great but if you want more it will not give you more. It does kick hard. I modded mine after the vid (?) and put aluminum tape (thickness of soda can) and it would be #2 on my all time list. 57mm of pure bass.

I bought the 77x's today and will swap pads and give them to my cousin, which will be an introduction to bass for my 19 year young cousin.  I think I actually might get me some 77x's for the fun of it.  Do you think there will ever be harder hitting headphones than the 2k's?  Give how you guys describe it, it would appear that it's almost already at the edge of being at unsafe levels.    

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #8,726 of 12,991
I have the e12 through pc, but I don't know what I'm doing with the eq either.  The bass will distort before it's too much for me, and I've never listened to bass up close outside of these headphones.  I also have sensitive hears, so I have a ways to go before I'll know what these things can really do.      

Fiio e12 is just an amp right? Are you using headphone out from your PC? If so & you don't have line-out you could be clipping the built in amp on your PC before it gets to the fiio. I think someone pointed this out but just in case, whenever you lift EQ be sure to lower pregain/preamp slider- can also try dropping your windows volume if there's still a problem.. Also make sure you have all Audio Enchancements off in the playback device settings.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #8,727 of 12,991
Fiio e12 is just an amp right? Are you using headphone out from your PC? If so & you don't have line-out you could be clipping the built in amp on your PC before it gets to the fiio. I think someone pointed this out but just in case, whenever you lift EQ be sure to lower pregain/preamp slider- can also try dropping your windows volume if there's still a problem.. Also make sure you have all Audio Enchancements off in the playback device settings.

What do you mean by clipping?  One of the things I have failed to grasp is how you can distort without producing as much bass as someone else.  It's also hard to explain what it is I'm talking about when I don't even know what it is I'm talking about.  

Let me try this:  

What things can cause distortion and why?  For example, when I ran it on my pc before I ever got an amp, I got distortion after turning it up and there was very little bass at all.  Now I can turn it up much further without distorting, but I still can't move paper before distorting with the stock pads.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm expecting too much, but then I read how that's not happening as they you'll go before they do.  

I'm very late to the bass party for sure.  

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #8,728 of 12,991

Thanks for the info. I have both the X00 and SZ2K en route, so it'll be fun to compare when they arrive and see if I get the same sound/impressions out of them that you get.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #8,729 of 12,991
I use SZ2000 for gaming and I tell you what: it's pretty amazing stuff. I am just looking for a desktop amp but with the slamming bass of C5. All those so called audiophile grade desktop amps out there seem to lack the bass boost function.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #8,730 of 12,991
I have tried using the SZ2000 for games but it never works out great... as in last time I used them I was too lazy to switch to something else when I was going to play CS:GO. Nearby shotgun sounds made me actually jump out of my chair. I switched to headphones with not nearly as much bass or SPL so I wouldn't scare the crap out of myself again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back