The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #8,761 of 12,991

I've got a Live album of Bob Marley and The Wailers called "Easy Skanking in Boston '78", and live reggae sounds amazing in the SZ2k's. "No Woman, No Cry", "Rebel Music", and "I Shot The Sheriff" are my favorites to listen to in the JVC.

Reggae is so broad, and then you throw in dancehall, and it becomes all over the place. But generally speaking, most of the sub Reggae categories sound great on the SZ, and I also enjoy on the XB, though when it comes to hip hop its SZ, and EDM XB. The only issue I'm tinkering with is vocals on the SZ. Its listenable, but because I have neutralish cans and rotate like 10 cans per day, obv the neutral nature makes my brain used to higher fidelity vocals. So, this should be noted. Dancehall with female vocals is not its strength on SZ, which I find is better on XB (with the bass pressure, the EQ doesn't have to be as hardcore). Some of the new hipster bands that experiment sometimes experiment with reggae/dancehall ish vibes in the studio recordings , and i did enjoy them on SZ very much. I wonder if the THX00 is that perfect in between as many have claimed on here, albeit, giving up some of that maddening pressure. Yes yes, that is blasphemous to suggest a statement other than more bassss. But yeah, live reggae (bassy types) come off very slowed and bubbly on the sz, different from the fast and super tight type. If that makes sense. To my ears.

L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #8,764 of 12,991
Here is a link to my portable foobar.  Is has the VST GEQ-7 and Bootsy RescueMKII enabled.  I have set them to sound best with the Parasound amps, preamps and JVC 2k and 1k version.  

Warning: I do have the Burson opamps installed, which make all the difference in my setup.  It's basically what you get playing from something like a Luxman or B&K preamp.  

Add your music, enjoy and tweak away.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz9g3BMSweGLMXEtM3E0ZkRDMVk?usp=sharing

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #8,766 of 12,991
  I wish I could get a decent rumble from my old pair of xb500s, They're by far my most comfortable headphone but they developed a driver rattle on the right side if I eq the bass up even a little.

Rattle caused by hair on the driver maybe?

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #8,768 of 12,991

That's what causes my Koss KTXPRO1 to rattle sometimes. Have to open it up and remove hair every once in awhile...

Audio Tweezers ... now made by .....

.... generic China company model twzr1000" $0.50 + free shipping"
.... popular hifi chinese company EUPHORIA TWEEZER 1000 "$1000"

"they pull out hairs soooooooooooo good"

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #8,769 of 12,991
.... *sigh* Since I got the Focal Elear, I've been so busy with it that I haven't given the SZ2000 much love lately.

Has this happened to you too, @OldDude04?

Audio Tweezers ... now made by .....

.... generic China company model twzr1000" $0.50 + free shipping"
.... popular hifi chinese company EUPHORIA TWEEZER 1000 "$1000"

"they pull out hairs soooooooooooo good"

ahaha. Looks like the most expensive real tweezers are "only" $100.

I usually just blow air in the driver enclosure to get the unseen hairs out that I can't get to with my fingers.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #8,770 of 12,991
sometimes those hairs stick so you can't blow them off but they stick up just a bit, which is hard to grab with fingers so tweezers come in handy.
Part of audio tools.

...and there is always time for sz, b/c no open can will do what it does for certain genres:p . Period.
L3000.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8,771 of 12,991
  sometimes those hairs stick so you can't blow them off but they stick up just a bit, which is hard to grab with fingers so tweezers come in handy.
Part of audio tools.

...and there is always time for sz, b/c no open can will do what it does for certain genres:p . Period.
L3000.gif

I've never needed to use tweezers.

Yeah, I'm really missing the impact when I use open headphones, even with EQ.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #8,772 of 12,991
.... *sigh* Since I got the Focal Elear, I've been so busy with it that I haven't given the SZ2000 much love lately.

Has this happened to you too, @OldDude04
?

ahaha. Looks like the most expensive real tweezers are "only" $100.

I usually just blow air in the driver enclosure to get the unseen hairs out that I can't get to with my fingers.

How well do the elear respond to eq? Can you put a % to how hard they slam relative to the sz2k?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #8,773 of 12,991

Has this happened to you too, @OldDude04?

I've used the Elears a good bit, but there is no scenario in which I don't give love to the SZ2k, lol. I love the bass too much.

Quote:
  How well do the elear respond to eq? Can you put a % to how hard they slam relative to the sz2k?

The Elears respond well to EQ, but to compare them to the SZ2k is apples and oranges really. They might achieve 25% to 30% of the SZ2k when pushed. They are more about the quality of the bass not the quantity. That is why I have both :p

EDIT: Man was I wrong, after getting my iFI Micro iDSD and running the Elears and SZ2k's, the Elears might be at 10%, lol.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #8,774 of 12,991

The Elears respond well to EQ, but to compare them to the SZ2k is apples and oranges really. They might achieve 25% to 30% of the SZ2k when pushed. They are more about the quality of the bass not the quantity. That is why I have both :p

Thanks for the input, 25-30% of the 2k is still pretty admirable.  Think they can push paper?  I wonder if they would make the hifi low end boys list here:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/the-best-bass-headphones-a-head-fi-wiki

The LCD2 is the only open headphone I know of that cracked the list, but it'd be cool have another open can that'll have enough bass.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #8,775 of 12,991

I haven't even attempted to equalize it for a basshead sound. (I'll do that later.) In stock form or with EQ to make it even more accurate, the bass is pretty gentle and has very little impact. It's good at snappy microdynamics, but, like most other open-backs, it has weak macrodynamic impact. Anyway, it responds well to EQ so far. But I can tell you right now that there's no point in buying it if you're only looking for a basshead sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back