The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 6, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #8,777 of 12,991
How well do the elear respond to eq? Can you put a % to how hard they slam relative to the sz2k?

I haven't even attempted to equalize it for a basshead sound.

Okay, just tried it with basshead EQ settings. Definitely not a contender in that area. It doesn't hit hard at all, and clips easily since it's not designed for such a thing.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #8,778 of 12,991
that's too bad, those drivers look like they have a lot of excursion

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #8,780 of 12,991
I expect the new AEON from Mr. Speakers to have Elear sound but better bass slam capabilities as typical for planars. Its only drawback is that it needs a lot of power and EQ to raise the bass. Which is nothing new or problem to anyone reading here...

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #8,782 of 12,991
Thanks for checking! I'll eventually get out of basshead mode to expand my musical horizons, but always have my radar going for cans that do hifi and bass iaw eq.

Ack. The MT8 is not a worthy successor at all. Tinny and artificial-sounding with a weird "radio" tonality and weak impact and dynamics. At times it lacks clarity too despite this.

Sounds like your typical lifeless entry-level studio monitor headphone, not realistic and thrilling like the MT220.

It can't do bass either. I even boosted the bass to extreme levels (making sure to reduce the gain in my player and control the volume with my DAC/amp—which, by the way, is more than five times as expensive as the one I used with the MT220) and it still didn't have nearly as much impact and juiciness as the MT220 in stock form.

To my ears, the MT220 (the MT8's predecessor and my favorite closed-back) sounds *two or three times* better. Even the $10 Koss KTXPRO1 is far better.

Yamaha really messed up with this one...

(Of course, it still sounds great with some nice recordings...but pretty much any headphone would for these.)

In short, if you want audiophile-level sound quality and crazy bass impact and dynamics even without EQ, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is the best I've heard for that.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #8,783 of 12,991

In short, if you want audiophile-level sound quality and crazy bass impact and dynamics even without EQ, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is the best I've heard for that.

What are you playing on them/ Where do you find their strengths.  They get a lot of love those Yammies. The more i get into the hobby the more I realize there is no 'perfect' Bass can b/c one if I'm listening to some chopper style $h1eeet, i need impact and spl. SZ right tool here. Again, I don't want in between bass power. I need pure raw power, with enough clarity in vocals, but i don't require crisp vocals for hip hop artists. In between cans don't do justice.

But when I listen to this triple OG especially at @47:37 (check it out) I need speed, accuracy, and proper bass timbres so i know when flesh, bone, or nail slaps those mystical tablas, and vocals in this case are part of the instrumental rather than vocals with language used. So more neutral, flat, bass light is more advantageous. I don't want an in between in this case, Crisp notes in the low end is the bread and butter. SZ1k/xb1k cannot be the right tool. In these cases i reach for a 660.32/880.250, which are the right tools.

In betweens i find suit rock, metal, and many other genres, where you don't want TOO much bass, but not little either. And with all these experimental bands/groups using all sorts of instruments, its can swapping left right and centre. Anyone who says one can does their music, i think their music is limited. But maybe that can is perfect for their desired narrow taste in Music.

happy_face1.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8,784 of 12,991
  What are you playing on them/ Where do you find their strengths.  They get a lot of love those Yammies. The more i get into the hobby the more I realize there is no 'perfect' Bass can b/c one if I'm listening to some chopper style $h1eeet, i need impact and spl. SZ right tool here. Again, I don't want in between bass power. I need pure raw power, with enough clarity in vocals, but i don't require crisp vocals for hip hop artists. In between cans don't do justice.

Anyone who says one can does their music, i think their music is limited. But maybe that can is perfect for their desired narrow taste in Music.

I no longer own the MT220, but may buy it again. (I only returned it in 2015 because I needed quick money at the time.) I've described its sound before: basically, thrilling bass impact and dynamics with good clarity and realism. Without EQ, the bass of the MT220 is many times more powerful than the SZ2000. (It could rattle my head on high volume with some bass-heavy tracks.) It's only when you boost the bass like mad that the SZ2000 sounds like a car subwoofer. But it needs very extensive EQ to sound right no matter which type of sound you're going for. I never bothered equalizing the MT220; I listen to pretty much all types of music and loved it with everything. Just because someone likes a headphone with all types of music does not mean they don't listen to all types of music, nor does it mean that headphone is ideal for them. No headphone can do everything, after all. I've resigned myself to the fate of needing to use at least a few headphones to get "the best" in different areas.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #8,785 of 12,991

I no longer own the MT220, but may buy it again. (I only returned it in 2015 because I needed quick money at the time.) I've described its sound before: basically, thrilling bass impact and dynamics with good clarity and realism. Without EQ, the bass of the MT220 is many times more powerful than the SZ2000. (It could rattle my head on high volume with some bass-heavy tracks.) It's only when you boost the bass like mad that the SZ2000 sounds like a car subwoofer. But it needs very extensive EQ to sound right no matter which type of sound you're going for. I never bothered equalizing the MT220; I listen to pretty much all types of music and loved it with everything. Just because someone likes a headphone with all types of music does not mean they don't listen to all types of music, nor does it mean that headphone is ideal for them. No headphone can do everything, after all. I've resigned myself to the fate of needing to use at least a few headphones to get "the best" in different areas.

Yeah its possible you mentioned before but my brain gets scrambled with life, and then the headphone business lol. But thats great to know about the Yammies i will keep in mind. I really like the look of them as well, and not in the sense of fashion, but rather more in its design features.

As for the music bit, i think you know what I mean. Sometimes when one is limited to few cans, then you listen to most of what you like on one or two, which is fine. I do it often while in bed with UFO +BT now, and just deal with it. No wires, and that convenience is a plus. I'm less picky then , as opposed to when im in more serious listening mode. Like screwdrivers, sometimes you need more than one or two when tinkering about. But its also common for many audiophiles to have one or two genres specifically, and one can might do it. I think im saying they're less likely to go from bass heavy rap music, reggae, punk rock/metal music to classical, soft rock. There are the rare cases though.

happy_face1.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #8,786 of 12,991
They do not, they bottom out quite easily then they rattle.

Thankfully Crutchfield let me exchange mine or I would have not been a happy camper !

40mm drivers

If there is a Hell for bassheads it's wall to wall 40mm drivers distorting and crunching all over the area. Never heard a 40 that can eat a good amp. Never ever.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #8,788 of 12,991

40mm drivers

If there is a Hell for bassheads it's wall to wall 40mm drivers distorting and crunching all over the area. Never heard a 40 that can eat a good amp. Never ever.

I'm all in for 40mm+ but the s500s can TAKE A BEATING. I hope JVC makes a 80mm + 40mm CNT for sz3000
biggrin.gif
Don't you live in Japan, can you please go down to their office with your blueprint drawings of this!!!
L3000.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #8,789 of 12,991

I'm all in for 40mm+ but the s500s can TAKE A BEATING. I hope JVC makes a 80mm + 40mm CNT for sz3000
biggrin.gif
Don't you live in Japan, can you please go down to their office with your blueprint drawings of this!!!
L3000.gif

Sounds like it could also be marketed as an automatic screw remover. Step 1: place earpads against wood  step 2: Ba-ba-ba-bass.  result: screws remove themselves via excessive vibrational impact :D (I couldn't resist haha)

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #8,790 of 12,991
 40mm drivers

I agree mostly. However soul headphones and my Marley ANC Legend headphones eat every single bit of C5 that I give em. Don't know what drivers are in the souls but very very similar sound SIG to the ANC Legends. Rolled off highs with big boomy lowend. Both are 42ohm I believe, and the legends can handle up to 500mw at 42ohm. Both bottoms tight in up quite a bit with amp and at bass head levels of loud the trebles actually sit good in the mix.

For 40s not bad. Better then anything else I have heard. Not as good as the Marley headphones I have with the 50mm drivers(or any others FTM), but close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back