The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 26, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #6,376 of 12,971
Some recent talk about the AKAI AP-HPH-002 got me thinking, are there any other headphones in this thread that are flat and accurate but still have really good bass response? even better if it refuses to respond to EQ like the Akai does.

Looking for something strictly for studio use.

I only found one eBay seller trying to get $288+shipping for the AKAI AP-HPH-002... I dunno if that's a good price or not. I thought they used to sell for $199 but maybe they've been discontinued for a really long time.

Maybe one of you guys still has a set collecting dust? haha.

I currently don't own a single set of over-ear headphones.

P.S. The TH-X00 is a "no".

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #6,377 of 12,971
  Some recent talk about the AKAI AP-HPH-002 got me thinking, are there any other headphones in this thread that are flat and accurate but still have really good bass response? even better if it refuses to respond to EQ like the Akai does.

I only found one eBay seller trying to get $288+shipping for the AKAI AP-HPH-002... I dunno if that's a good price or not. I thought they used to sell for $199 but maybe they've been discontinued for a really long time.

Maybe one of you guys still has a set collecting dust? haha.

I currently don't own a single set of over-ear headphones.

P.S. The TH-X00 is a "no".

$300 is too steep, especially when it's M-Audio "brother" sells for $100 used --> http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-HDH-50-Definition-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00F3F7316/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456521834&sr=8-1&keywords=M-Audio+HDH+50

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #6,378 of 12,971

$300 is too steep, especially when it's M-Audio "brother" sells for $100 used --> http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-HDH-50-Definition-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00F3F7316/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456521834&sr=8-1&keywords=M-Audio+HDH+50

I think I read they are slightly different sounding from each other?
The Akai one looks better but $100 is so much more agreeable to pay.

edit: I am going to order a set in "Like New" condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals I think. $120 shipped and will be here Monday (it's Friday now). I'd be pitting them against the DT990 which has no bass but I know excels as a studio headphone.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #6,379 of 12,971
Proud new owner of these HA-SZ2000 cans. Really enjoying them 
beyersmile.png

I'm coming from a background of working in car audio where we had an Astro van built with (16) 15" Soundstream SPL subs tuned around 35hz and doing around 159-160db sealed on the dash....way back in 1998!

In those days, the rage wasn't 4th-order bandpass boxes...it was sealed clamshell or diamond enclosures. 2000w rms per woofer was considered a lot. These days, that's child's play!

Fast forward to today....I'm no longer helping build SPL systems but I still love bass.

This is my current setup: FLAC files (pc) > USB Regen > Fiio E17K DAC > Fiio K5 Amp > HA-SZ2000

Sounds warm and has plenty of impact but I think I found the excursion limit of these cans with a few tracks. I think the K5 can overpower these but at that level they are moving some air with good seal around your head. Feels like they are at least in the upper 130db range with a good seal on your head!

What I'd like to see is a company like Sundown Audio or Digital Designs make a high-excursion driver with serious power handling...
5 watts...or even 10 watts would be awesome!

No other cans have this impact but I really think they can do better than just 1.5w power handling
Might be a bit extra weight on the head though with huge magnets :wink:

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #6,380 of 12,971
beyersmile.png

I'm coming from a background of working in car audio where we had an Astro van built with (16) 15" Soundstream SPL subs tuned around 35hz and doing around 159-160db sealed on the dash....way back in 1998!

In those days, the rage wasn't 4th-order bandpass boxes...it was sealed clamshell or diamond enclosures. 2000w rms per woofer was considered a lot. These days, that's child's play!

Fast forward to today....I'm no longer helping build SPL systems but I still love bass.

This is my current setup: FLAC files (pc) > USB Regen > Fiio E17K DAC > Fiio K5 Amp > HA-SZ2000

Sounds warm and has plenty of impact but I think I found the excursion limit of these cans with a few tracks. I think the K5 can overpower these but at that level they are moving some air with good seal around your head. Feels like they are at least in the upper 130db range with a good seal on your head!

What I'd like to see is a company like Sundown Audio or Digital Designs make a high-excursion driver with serious power handling...

No other cans have this impact but I really think they can do better than just 1.5w power handling

Welcome basshead!!

Change the pads to 55x pads off of the jvc 55x. Can sometimes fins and old set or just pads on ebay.

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #6,381 of 12,971
beyersmile.png

yep these are fun as fook cans!

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #6,382 of 12,971
just responding to this thread caused me to unplug my T90's and plug in the JVC's and man oh man. what a good time! 
beyersmile.png

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6,383 of 12,971
  just responding to this thread caused me to unplug my T90's and plug in the JVC's and man oh man. what a good time! 
beyersmile.png

If folks are doing anything like this ......smooth sound (not detail monsters) but smooth and normal listening level and your standing next to the bassists amp stack...then that's the fun that has kept me with sz2k and ma900 and I have never moved past that point. I got some other stuff before that but after those 2 I decided to hold steady and hunt for my IEM and source

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #6,386 of 12,971
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a pair of bassy headphones, I've never really tried a truly bassy headphones so im not sure what to look out for. From my researched, the Pro 900 seems pretty good. However I am looking for more of a side headphones to be used solely for listening to techno, house etc, and the Pro 900 is above my budget, I am looking for something around the $200 that has punchy bass. 

Do y'all have any recommendation?

Thank you :)

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #6,387 of 12,971
  Hi all,

I am currently looking for a pair of bassy headphones, I've never really tried a truly bassy headphones so im not sure what to look out for. From my researched, the Pro 900 seems pretty good. However I am looking for more of a side headphones to be used solely for listening to techno, house etc, and the Pro 900 is above my budget, I am looking for something around the $200 that has punchy bass. 

F.Y.I

There is a Pro 900 in the For Sale section right now. Not  good with sub-bass but great for EDM with fast mid bass beats

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #6,388 of 12,971
Hi all,

You should be able to get sz2k for that price id imagine? And get some replacement pads too?

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #6,390 of 12,971
Hi all,

Amazon has the white v-moda m100 for $204. Trust me man, the m100 is fantastic for edm. And it sounds pretty good even without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back