The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 31, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #5,791 of 12,991
I currently own an HD800 and love it; however, sometimes I am in the mood for some heavy bass, and can't keep the family up late at night with speakers blasting.

A year or so ago I bought my sister beats studio 2.0, and was not impressed with their bass deliverance.

Which headphone will give me the greatest bass, without sacrificing too much sound detail.

How do the th900s compare, in bass deliverance, to other bass heavy headphones?

I am looking to spend, at most, $1600. Should I wait until the revision of the th900 comes out to see what it brings? The th900 was at $1,100 on amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing against the TH-900 but if you don't want to take a massive plunge you can get the TH-600 for about half the price :) You could use that extra cash for equipment (amp/DAC) or even mods (wood cups). You're not getting double the bass for double the money and I think the TH-600 holds its own against the TH-900.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #5,792 of 12,991
HE400 off of the HE-6 rig.

I made this for an acquaintance who sent me an E-mail about the "Lack of bass" they found while using a portable amp with the HE400. I shared the video with a couple of members on here just because of the results that were achieved with adequate amping. Forgive the fact that I did not use the standard Wiz Khalifa song, the E-mail was sent by someone that listens to EDM.

I have privately shared this with a couple of members of this thread, but decided to post it on here.This proves nothing, but in the spirit of this thread I'm posting it because it is cool to see the bass and speed of bass from the HE400 demonstrated.

This is regarding the HE-400i but I found that the bass, while it had physical impact, felt a bit "hollow" almost. I think that it is probably due to the open-back design versus the semi-closed TH-600 that I'm used to. It would be interesting to see HFM make a closed or semi-open headphone.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #5,793 of 12,991
This proves nothing, but in the spirit of this thread I'm posting it because it is cool to see the bass and speed of bass from the HE400 demonstrated.

We are over 400,000 views and steaming towards the largest thread this site has ever had which relates to bass response.

People put more stock into what they can see v.s. what they are told. There are hundreds of attempts at making vids with cans that we never saw because there was nothing to see.
The image of Planar being inferior with bass can be pushed back with demonstrations showing otherwise. Your words like mine prove nothing but videos speak for themselves.

Happy coming New year BTW!!

Is that why you're now an esteemed 'contributor' here instead of a lowly pleb? :wink: I thank you for your help and honest opinions in this and other threads as it has helped me narrow my search for bass in a short period of time. I was pretty lost and found myself in the wrong threads at first but I now have my setup to a point that I am happy with, but never content :p

Happy New Year!

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,794 of 12,991
Is that why you're now an esteemed 'contributor' here instead of a lowly pleb?
wink.gif
I thank you for your help and honest opinions in this and other threads as it has helped me narrow my search for bass in a short period of time. I was pretty lost and found myself in the wrong threads at first but I now have my setup to a point that I am happy with, but never content :p

Happy New Year!

it's 2016 in Japan

100 dolla bills ya'll!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #5,795 of 12,991
This is regarding the HE-400i but I found that the bass, while it had physical impact, felt a bit "hollow" almost. I think that it is probably due to the open-back design versus the semi-closed TH-600 that I'm used to. It would be interesting to see HFM make a closed or semi-open headphone.

Like I said, I did not post to compare, but fast decay could be perceived as hollow. I Could see that .

I sent the TH-600 back, it had too much of a similar sound to my D5/7k. I liked it, but I could barley hear a difference from the Denon.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5,796 of 12,991

Like I said, I did not post to compare, but fast decay could be perceived as hollow. I Could see that .

I sent the TH-600 back, it had too much of a similar sound to my D5/7k. I liked it, but I could barley hear a difference from the Denon.

As I understand it, Fostex made the D5/7K, so it would stand to reason they sound the same. I wouldn't want a stable of near-identical headphones, either, and would want various sounds for different genres or equipment.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #5,799 of 12,991
I've seen it talked about here and I think it's past due, and I know HBB doesn't have time to curate. We need an amp thread for basshead recs. I know it's common to talk about amps in this thread as they go hand-in-hand but I also think there should be some presence in the dedicated forums so people have somewhere to look. I'm volunteering myself to curate but I'll need some help as I have limited exposure. We may need to start with just a list of recs instead of ranking 1 through 10. Any help is appreciated!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/793088/the-best-desktop-amp-for-bass-is-the-extreme-basshead-club

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #5,800 of 12,991

it's 2016 in Japan

100 dolla bills ya'll!!!
beerchug.gif

Happy new year bud!

Just got the SZ2000's. Love them! Already rank them ahead of the Philips X1 and X2's after some EQ love. I haven't removed the stock ear pads yet so I'm looking forward to trying out the M55 pads this weekend.

Connected them to my iPhone 6s Plus and they still pound! Fired up DJ Snake's "King of Bass" album using Spotify Premium and there's plenty of bass and doesn't distort at max volume.

These honestly live up to the hype unlike the countless other headphones I've tried. 
gs1000.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #5,801 of 12,991
Just downloaded Equalizer APO for Windows and am working on the EQ Filters.  If anyone uses this and can please post their settings for ultimate SZ2000 setup, I'd really appreciate it.  Running it with Cayin C5 at the moment.

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #5,802 of 12,991
Can't help but chime in, since I've noticed this thread. I must say to anyone with the urge or willingness to do a bit of DIY: get a pair of T50RP MK2, and get MrSpeakers Alpha Pads. Go to the "T50RP mods and measurements" thread here on Head-Fi, and find the "nick n memory foam mod". Preform this mod to the best of what's at your disposal, with the Alpha Pads, but leave one or two entire port-slots open on the rear side of the headphone.

The result? The best sub-bass response I've ever heard from a headphone under 1000. Tuning is time consuming, but I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves Drum n Bass, hip hop, deep house, breakbeat, trance, dubstep, or anything of the sort. Eargasms! Not to mention, very FAST bass response as well compared to dynamics, while still having seductive mids and super clear, detailed treble. Plus, they only get better with more power.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #5,803 of 12,991
Can't help but chime in, since I've noticed this thread. I must say to anyone with the urge or willingness to do a bit of DIY: get a pair of T50RP MK2, and get MrSpeakers Alpha Pads. Go to the "T50RP mods and measurements" thread here on Head-Fi, and find the "nick n memory foam mod". Preform this mod to the best of what's at your disposal, with the Alpha Pads, but leave one or two entire port-slots open on the rear side of the headphone.

The result? The best sub-bass response I've ever heard from a headphone under 1000. Tuning is time consuming, but I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves Drum n Bass, hip hop, deep house, breakbeat, trance, dubstep, or anything of the sort. Eargasms! Not to mention, very FAST bass response as well compared to dynamics, while still having seductive mids and super clear, detailed treble. Plus, they only get better with more power.

Funny you mention that now, I was just researching t50rp as a potential upgrade for my at work cans. But I don't see a t50rp mk2 anywhere. You just mean t50rp or maybe t40rp mk2?

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,804 of 12,991
Funny you mention that now, I was just researching t50rp as a potential upgrade for my at work cans. But I don't see a t50rp mk2 anywhere. You just mean t50rp or maybe t40rp mk2?

Well, I suppose I meant just the T50RP. Technically, the 'vanilla' T50RP would be the original Fostex T50 vintage headphones, so I reckon they didn't feel the need to say "MK2" since they already were called "RP". In any case, the most recently released iteteration is officially known as the T50RP Mk3, thus I refer to the previous generation as MK2.

Dang, I am awfully wordy. My English prof was correct! But yes, to clarify for sure: you want the T50RP. You could try the T50RP Mk3 (orange cable), although they are a bit of a different beast (my Mk3 are tuned for a more neutral sound)

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #5,805 of 12,991
  Happy new year bud!

Just got the SZ2000's. Love them! Already rank them ahead of the Philips X1 and X2's after some EQ love. I haven't removed the stock ear pads yet so I'm looking forward to trying out the M55 pads this weekend.

Connected them to my iPhone 6s Plus and they still pound! Fired up DJ Snake's "King of Bass" album using Spotify Premium and there's plenty of bass and doesn't distort at max volume.

These honestly live up to the hype unlike the countless other headphones I've tried. 
gs1000.gif

It only gets better.
Pads make a difference and power...they can take an iFi micro in Turbo mode with xbass flipped and 75% gain pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back