The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 2, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #5,821 of 12,991
Hey guys, 
I own the JVC HA-SZ2000 headphones with the brainwavs hm-5 pads. I have the asus xonar phoebus sound card with them right now, but i was wondering if i would get a more immersive experience with external amp /dacs, in a gaming sense, and if anyone could suggest some? Ive been trying to use some audio enhancing software on my computer like DFX and razer surround but the high pitch noises start to screech in my ear. The secon part of my question would be whats the best audio enhancing software available? price doesnt matter. Thanks

I just installed equalizer apo for windows on my pc last night, and it appears to be a very powerful, global software program if you have the motivation to learn how to use it. I'm sure there are youtube videos and guides but I haven't gotten that far with it yet.

Just messed around last night and didn't have any success getting the results I wanted. But I definitely got results and am looking forward to continuing to learn more about it and optimizing my pcs audio output primarily for gaming.

As for external amps/dacs, I just started using a schiit modi 2 uber and ifi ican with my SZ2000s for ps4 and xb1 gaming and it's incredible. The modi 2 really gives a great signal for the ican to work wonders with.

I just started playing star wars battlefront and with this setup, and it's absolutely astounding. The 3D switch on the ican makes the sound stage huge, providing a magnificent sense of depth to the battlefield, and the xbass switch will produce face vibrating, rumbling explosions. This game really shows what the setup is capable of. Play walker assault with this setup for the first time and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

You should be able to get this going for under $400 no problem and it's worth far more than that imo.

I'm unfamiliar with pc sound cards at the moment so the external dac might not be needed and you'll be up and running for under $300, but there is definitely a huge increase in soundstage and sound quality using the modi 2 uber.

The cayin c5 is also a very nice piece if equipment if you don't wanna spend that much. It's very similar to the ican--it will give you better SQ, larger soundstage, and a nice bass boost, but imo the ican substantially beats it in all those areas and is definitely worth the double cost. No diminishing returns there at all, get the ican if you can.

Hope that helps!

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #5,824 of 12,991
Little sharing. I advised my best friend to buy ATH pro700 mk2 as he wanted a good budget Basshead. It is ranked better than vmoda m100 in bass region. It has in fact more impact. However I find it weaker in the ultra deep bass. It s not the same price but again I realise as time goes by the m100 again is a perfect all around! The pro 700 mk2 needs lot more amplification and equalization as well to get the bass Bassheads want and is not as clear in the vocals neither (but again it costs less than the vmoda). Anyway again I would advise m 100 to anyone wanting a Basshead set (price/bass/clarity/not much power hungry /durability /size)

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #5,826 of 12,991
Little sharing. I advised my best friend to buy ATH pro700 mk2 as he wanted a good budget Basshead. It is ranked better than vmoda m100 in bass region. It has in fact more impact. However I find it weaker in the ultra deep bass. It s not the same price but again I realise as time goes by the m100 again is a perfect all around! The pro 700 mk2 needs lot more amplification and equalization as well to get the bass Bassheads want and is not as clear in the vocals neither (but again it costs less than the vmoda). Anyway again I would advise m 100 to anyone wanting a Basshead set (price/bass/clarity/not much power hungry /durability /size)

Lets not forget the looks of the M-100s! Very slim and sleek. I have a lot of trust with Audio-Technicas, so it would really be a win if you got either or.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #5,830 of 12,991
The chrome M100 are total boss level in the looks department. Vader would be proudly seen in one.

I just found out about the V-Moda M-100 Wireless and they come in black/chrome. If I buy those and get to exchange my X2's with a pair without glue on the ear pads..... My collection would be complete since I already own the SZ2000's. :)

Oh yeah, simply the best color combo!

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #5,831 of 12,991
I just installed equalizer apo for windows on my pc last night, and it appears to be a very powerful, global software program if you have the motivation to learn how to use it. I'm sure there are youtube videos and guides but I haven't gotten that far with it yet.

Just messed around last night and didn't have any success getting the results I wanted. But I definitely got results and am looking forward to continuing to learn more about it and optimizing my pcs audio output primarily for gaming.

As for external amps/dacs, I just started using a schiit modi 2 uber and ifi ican with my SZ2000s for ps4 and xb1 gaming and it's incredible. The modi 2 really gives a great signal for the ican to work wonders with.

I just started playing star wars battlefront and with this setup, and it's absolutely astounding. The 3D switch on the ican makes the sound stage huge, providing a magnificent sense of depth to the battlefield, and the xbass switch will produce face vibrating, rumbling explosions. This game really shows what the setup is capable of. Play walker assault with this setup for the first time and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

You should be able to get this going for under $400 no problem and it's worth far more than that imo.

I'm unfamiliar with pc sound cards at the moment so the external dac might not be needed and you'll be up and running for under $300, but there is definitely a huge increase in soundstage and sound quality using the modi 2 uber.

The cayin c5 is also a very nice piece if equipment if you don't wanna spend that much. It's very similar to the ican--it will give you better SQ, larger soundstage, and a nice bass boost, but imo the ican substantially beats it in all those areas and is definitely worth the double cost. No diminishing returns there at all, get the ican if you can.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that, Is there really any reason for me to get a DAC? when my main use would be for playing video games. Thanks

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #5,832 of 12,991
  Thanks for that, Is there really any reason for me to get a DAC? when my main use would be for playing video games. Thanks

If you have a good soundcard already, its DAC is probably fine. like the other user said, if for some reason you find the output lacking you should be able to 'line out' from soundcard into an outboard amplifier, it may also have a digital out post-DSP pre-DAC if you want to use an external DAC for some reason. See also, Computer Audio section of the Equipment forum, a few gaming specific threads like http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound there are even a few big threads about Asus soundcards.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5,833 of 12,991
Hi, Can anyone please tell me how to connect 3.5mm Y-splitter with ps3 so I can use an external amp for headphones and subpac. I followed some random advise a few years ago and bought an extrnal USB sound card but I wasn't able to connect it. Do I need any accessories or is there some internal ps3 configuration? I have no clue how it works :confused_face_2: and any help from you guys will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #5,834 of 12,991
Hi, Can anyone please tell me how to connect 3.5mm Y-splitter with ps3 so I can use an external amp for headphones and subpac. I followed some random advise a few years ago and bought an extrnal USB sound card but I wasn't able to connect it. Do I need any accessories or is there some internal ps3 configuration? I have no clue how it works
confused_face_2.gif
and any help from you guys will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

@Luckbad can help. PM him if he misses this post.

Happy New Year BTW
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back