The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,897 of 12,993
Do you guys know of any EQ apps for Android that can eq ask sound that goes through the device. Because normal eq apps work fine for music on the device locally, but it doesn't seem to work for steamed music. Is there any way to apply an eq to music that is not on the device already, like streaming music?

theres viper4android its not a regular app that you can get off the app stores. looke on youtube theres a video on there where a guy shows you step by step on how to install it on your adroid device. I haven't played with it enough to find the perfect setting but it works with streaming music.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #2,898 of 12,993
theres viper4android its not a regular app that you can get off the app stores. looke on youtube theres a video on there where a guy shows you step by step on how to install it on your adroid device. I haven't played with it enough to find the perfect setting but it works with streaming music.

You have to be rooted as well. I personally install the HiFi version and put the UI on expert so I can use all the settings. Depending on your cans I've found that the subwoofer bass setting is nice with xhifi clarity (db gain is subjective) and purebass+ is beautiful with natural clearity. I usually leave the eq off unless I'm recessing the mid bass or making the highs a little less harsh. There's are so many nice sounding setups I could write paragraphs but sound is subjective so tinker with it a bit to find what you like.

As for eq apps for non root users, equalizer does the job well and has bass boost options. Its just and orange "EQ" icon (a Q with a line inside to make an E) with a speaker cone inside of it. Its the first one when searching for equalizer on the play store. You can't get much better than v4a though. The only thing that tops it is voodoo sound drivers for wolfson DAC containing phones (mine was the infuse 4g, ******* eargasmic if you can get one and use it strictly as a music player w/ poweramp)

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #2,899 of 12,993
You have to be rooted as well. I personally install the HiFi version and put the UI on expert so I can use all the settings. Depending on your cans I've found that the subwoofer bass setting is nice with xhifi clarity (db gain is subjective) and purebass+ is beautiful with natural clearity. I usually leave the eq off unless I'm recessing the mid bass or making the highs a little less harsh. There's are so many nice sounding setups I could write paragraphs but sound is subjective so tinker with it a bit to find what you like.

As for eq apps for non root users, equalizer does the job well and has bass boost options. Its just and orange "EQ" icon (a Q with a line inside to make an E) with a speaker cone inside of it. Its the first one when searching for equalizer on the play store. You can't get much better than v4a though. The only thing that tops it is voodoo sound drivers for wolfson DAC containing phones (mine was the infuse 4g, ******* eargasmic if you can get one and use it strictly as a music player w/ poweramp)

Man....

What is with apple? There itunes ui suckz and their apps mostly suck.
Android ftw in this case.
That is awesomeness.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,900 of 12,993
Man....

What is with apple? There itunes ui suckz and their apps mostly suck.
Android ftw in this case.
That is awesomeness.

I agree 100%. For a company that started the iPhone line with playing music being one of the primary ideas, its sad to know how ****ty it really is. Like even jailbroken iDevices suck pretty hard in terms of audio.

If you like viper though I highly suggest you try to get an old Samsung phone with a Wolfson DAC and installing the voodoo sound drivers. They were specifically written for that chip and they pump some bass natively. I can only imagine what it would do paired up with the e12. The only reason I keep mentioning it is because on android you have sooo many sources of music to chooses from where as a fiios or other player is storage only. Not to mention the UI of some of the music players being beautiful and feature rich *cough poweramp cough*. I had an old infuse that I compiled a custom ROM for it to strip all the unnecessary code and turn it into a supercharged galaxy player. Modded it with a zerolemon extended battery and 256GB micro SD to SDHC (full size) conversion. Thing was my go to player till someone stole it ))):

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #2,901 of 12,993
Thanks guys, I'll check out V4A. Already been rooted too for a long time, I was assuming it would need root too since it needs to access the low level sound drivers or whatever so it can affect all the sound passing.

I don't think I would realistically give up the convenience of everything on my phone, by having to carry around another device just for music.

Speaking of bass, I mean I know we are only on the extreme bass club thread, but maybe this topic of bass I'm going to bring up can be a little relevant. /s
How do the E11 and E12 compare to each other in terms of boosting bass? I have the E11 right now and it definitely will make same banging bass, but how does the E12 perform? I keep looking for comparisons, but no dice. Anyone have the two or know?

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,902 of 12,993
Thanks guys, I'll check out V4A. Already been rooted too for a long time, I was assuming it would need root too since it needs to access the low level sound drivers or whatever so it can affect all the sound passing.

I don't think I would realistically give up the convenience of everything on my phone, by having to carry around another device just for music.

Speaking of bass, I mean I know we are only on the extreme bass club thread, but maybe this topic of bass I'm going to bring up can be a little relevant. /s
How do the E11 and E12 compare to each other in terms of boosting bass? I have the E11 right now and it definitely will make same banging bass, but how does the E12 perform? I keep looking for comparisons, but no dice. Anyone have the two or know?

the E11 is more than half of the e12's price, so naturally they're not on the same level. 
e11k: Output: 270mW @ 32 ohms (I don't know about the original e11 but it can't be more, not significantly at least):
e12: Output: >880Mw @ 32 ohms

e12 has a lot more power to pump that bass in a lively manner. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,903 of 12,993
  the E11 is more than half of the e12's price, so naturally they're not on the same level. 
e11k: Output: 270mW @ 32 ohms (I don't know about the original e11 but it can't be more, not significantly at least):
e12: Output: >880Mw @ 32 ohms

e12 has a lot more power to pump that bass in a lively manner. 

With the E12s significantly higher power output, wouldnt it just get to a point where the bass would distort and the cans would not really improve in sound? What if that point is near the E11s max?

Edit: E11 has a 300mW output
300mW (16Ω); 200mW (32Ω); 35mW (300Ω) (source)

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #2,904 of 12,993
With the E12s significantly higher power output, wouldnt it just get to a point where the bass would distort and the cans would not really improve in sound? What if that point is near the E11s max?

that's the point of this thread :p
To find headphones that can thump without distorting. Just ordered a pair of 77xs today because my current cans can't even handle my little cheapo RadioShack amp. For under $100 you might as well get them if nothing else. They're the cheapest model listed in the top ten of this thread (I believe).

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #2,905 of 12,993

well the only distortion you get with the SZ2K is if you go too crazy on the eq. That's the only time mine distorted and I had to cut down a bit. The amp doesn't distort my cans. A decent designed amp can't distort, it's the headphone being the bottleneck most of the time (if it's not the source) because the amp is the one helping out and energizing the headphones not the other way around.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,907 of 12,993
that's the point of this thread :p
To find headphones that can thump without distorting. Just ordered a pair of 77xs today because my current cans can't even handle my little cheapo RadioShack amp. For under $100 you might as well get them if nothing else. They're the cheapest model listed in the top ten of this thread (I believe).

well the only distortion you get with the SZ2K is if you go too crazy on the eq. That's the only time mine distorted and I had to cut down a bit. The amp doesn't distort my cans. A decent designed amp can't distort, it's the headphone being the bottleneck most of the time (if it's not the source) because the amp is the one helping out and energizing the headphones not the other way around.

Got you guys. I don't think someone would even want to turn the e12 all the way up while listening unless they want to blow their ears off. When I get a pair of SZ2K's, hopefully soon, I'll try my E11 and test with it, then with an E12. I'll be sure to say what happens and how it goes. Maybe I'll even make a review or impressions thread, because it seems so underrated and dead, but they are really something to appreciate.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2,908 of 12,993
  Does anyone have a good recommendation for a PC based EQ program? Haven't really been able to find a good one yet.

Equalizer APO + a UI if needed. 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ 
http://jiiteepee.tripod.com/fpeqgui-10mc.html

You gotta install on all the sound devices you have connected to the computer that you want to EQ in order for it to work.

Sky is the limit as far as how far you can push the eq. Just stacking curves you can get above 30db's for any range of frequencies even if the UI only shows 21 db's. But 21 really is the max for the SZ2K, above that I get distortion with the e12.

Quote from PocketSmiley from the first page of the thread (quick how-to):

§ Tutorial

This only works for some Realtek drivers and the default Windows sound drivers under Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1. The built-in Windows "Bass Boost" is used with Equalizer APO (here is a head-fi thread dedicated to the latter). Basically, Equalizer APO allows detailed control of the built-in Windows sound modules, so it only installs the controller (no GUI) and you set the settings in the file "config.txt" under "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config". Any changes you make in config.txt affects the sound in real-time. You can read the head-fi thread for very quick tutorials, but I promise that it only looks complex at first. Inside my config.txt is this:

Filter 1: ON PEQ Fc 25,0 Hz Gain 15,0 dB Q 1,000
Filter 2: ON PEQ Fc 3000,0 Hz Gain 5,0 dB Q 1,000

Red is the center frequency in Hz (comma means decimal), blue is the level, and green is the width of the curve (when using "Q", 0 is the widest, and affects the entire spectrum, while 10 limits the boost to just the center frequency).

Some head-fiers made a GUI for it, most used is jiiteepee's FPEQGUI-10MC, head-fi thread here. Using the GUI, Filter 1 above looks like this:

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2,909 of 12,993
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a PC based EQ program? Haven't really been able to find a good one yet.

"There are a couple of programs and apps that very good for pc use. Equilify for use with spotify and EQ APO but this changes the whole parameter of your pc. So everything that deals with sound is affected with adjusting with APO"

Also make sure to check if you have a native eq program. With my motherboard, the sound drivers include a built in EQ. What OS do you have? I can walk you through, takes like 10 seconds. It may not look or be as advanced as some third party EQ programs, but it works, easy to use and because it is native should not have any problems.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,910 of 12,993
Got you guys. I don't think someone would even want to turn the e12 all the way up while listening unless they want to blow their ears off. When I get a pair of SZ2K's, hopefully soon, I'll try my E11 and test with it, then with an E12. I'll be sure to say what happens and how it goes. Maybe I'll even make a review or impressions thread, because it seems so underrated and dead, but they are really something to appreciate.

The reason we use the E12 is because SZ2K needs power to do what the thread is about: extreme bass. Sure, some amps can make them sound loud but no amp I have can make the cups vibrate and shake like the e12 can. The gain setting adds even more earthquake. That's what the power is for. I never tried the e11 but I think someone might have tried both the e11 and the e12 with these cans so maybe they can chime in. Until then, I vouch for the e12 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back