The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #2,926 of 12,991
I meant Thank you HBB!

181.1 Billion in equity.

I'm cool with being called HSBC
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #2,928 of 12,991
So will HSBC loan me a MA900 and an SZ1000 for the joyous celebration of Xmas too?

How about a video and a wish to Santa.

I made this for a person who said the bass rolled off like it wasn't there.
Another said it distorted with bass tracks.
So

Fire up a vid, play the basshead default test track and a kick drum track and let everybody argue with a video.

Which they didn't.
They never do.

And sz1k has plenty bass and like the ma 900 ans sz2k...have a bass lens. I'm not aware of other cans that use this. The ma900 is to focus the low freq so the diaphragm can reproduce the mids and highs and for the SZ it's just to make it a dedicated subwoofer with a passive x-over using the lens and 2 chambers.

That think weirded me out when I saw it. Like an alien nest in your subwoofer.

EDIT:

Just to clarify.
The ma are not basshead and are open back. Vid was made to prove a point.
People are full of ****. Videos...unedited are less prone to being full of ****....imo

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,930 of 12,991
Alright, I'll post a video of the paper test with the Cayin C5 with the SZ2000.

I had forgotten about that. Honestly.
 It is true that videos are great for the ADHD crowd. JVC has benefited tremendously via video as has the e12

This is the bass switch on video.
It holds more sway than charts that some folks can't read or distrust.
It would be good for Cayin no doubt.

The YT channel has like 60 subscribers and 55k views (approx)

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,931 of 12,991
Alright, thanks HBB. So the mids are not bad, that's good. I listen to mostly dubstep, slow deep original dubstep, not the fast crazy skrillex full of highs and ****. So I probably don't have to worry about mids or high too much, but they will still be present in my music. I'll be getting the 2K's next week, ******* excited!i still don't see why they are so dead everywhere else, I think you are the only one with vids on them, all the others are in Japanese with just how they look.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #2,932 of 12,991
  Sorta noob to EQ here, why should one use this instead of a basic 10 band eq, like this? Is there any much difference besides the UI?

Well, first because most soundcards don't have that option in windows sound properties (it's only for Realtek onboard soundcards). I've got an asus card (and I still wouldn't use asus' eq because they mess up the mids). Second, looking at it quick it looks like it doesn't have a high enough threshold for me. Looks like 10 db's when I go for about 20db's and that brings up another point, doesn't show enough information like what the graph looks like of the affected frequencies and what the curve looks like. Basic 10 band eq's usually mess up the mids even if you just boost at 30hz because the curve is exaggerated. I'm not gonna say all, but every one I tried did.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,934 of 12,991
I'm thinking of starting a thread like this, but for IEM's. All of us here are extreme bass heads, we need our daily dose of booming and earthquaking bass, but do we want to wear our big headphones all the time or out in public? I don't, I always use IEM's out in public or at school. As if it wasn't hard enough to find the right cans for ourselves, we also want IEM's with the same level of bass. I look here on head fi and most of the threads relevant to this are about "decent" smooth bass that brings out the low end. **** that, I want earth shaking bass. So why not start a central place like this for the bassist IEM's? I don't have a ton of money to buy and test a lot of IEM's, but I can at least start the thing and maybe get the ball rolling. Would anyone else be interested in adding to a thread like this? Basically an extreme basshead IEM thread like this.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,935 of 12,991
Hello!
A curiosity; over the FiiO E12, there are other solutions AMP or DAC + AMP tested for use BassHand, both portable and desktop (PC / Mac)?

Thank You :)

I second this, but keep in mind, a DAC with a portable source like a phone may not work. You might need a custom ROM on an Android, for example, to get it to work with a DAC. With Apple, doubt it would work at all.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,936 of 12,991
^ Do it :)
 I haven't forgotten about the QFX things, been so swamped with other tests and mods etc not found the time to sit down. Soon. Pics of insides and tuning of the rear ( too big ) driver magnet vent.

Things need to be drawn forward in the mix the stage is simply too large as is the bass level versus the rest. Feel like I need to reach into the sound and pull stuff out . It's maddening.
Getting the other stuff audible  right now means volume increase, which pushes the bass to disgustingly large levels. Then leads to hearing loss :)

Also have 2 other stock ones around to compare.
 Might be a futile effort, but i'll make the effort anyhow.

BTW for bassy iems i did grab 2 of the Elecom Grandbass series, which each have an extra magnet on the front side to the drivers to make the voice coils respond faster and tighter. One is a 15.4 mm driver.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,937 of 12,991
I second this, but keep in mind, a DAC with a portable source like a phone may not work. You might need a custom ROM on an Android, for example, to get it to work with a DAC. With Apple, doubt it would work at all.

Wondering if there are other models desktop or portable over the FiiO e12 recommended and well tested? I would know if you indicate some of them?

Thank You.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,938 of 12,991
I'm thinking of starting a thread like this, but for IEM's. All of us here are extreme bass heads, we need our daily dose of booming and earthquaking bass, but do we want to wear our big headphones all the time or out in public? I don't, I always use IEM's out in public or at school. As if it wasn't hard enough to find the right cans for ourselves, we also want IEM's with the same level of bass. I look here on head fi and most of the threads relevant to this are about "decent" smooth bass that brings out the low end. **** that, I want earth shaking bass. So why not start a central place like this for the bassist IEM's? I don't have a ton of money to buy and test a lot of IEM's, but I can at least start the thing and maybe get the ball rolling. Would anyone else be interested in adding to a thread like this? Basically an extreme basshead IEM thread like this.

I agree about iem's being better for public use than headphones. My ciem's have actual isolation at any volume. No headphone with decent sound I've heard have good isolation as well as no leaking. There's ton of basshead iem's out there. Shure as one example has plenty. My CIEM's by Perfect Seal have ton of bass as well.

But the thiing is, headphone bass is completely different from iem bass. Nothing shakes, or vibrates but it can still be felt in your head as much as heard. The basis of this thread is to show the impact on these cans video as well, can't do that with iem's. The earthquake we feel on the ear and skin and hear is made by pushing air from the drivers, can't do that with iem's.  If headphones here are a step down in physical impact from actual subwoofers than iem's can't put up a fight in that battle. Honestly, there's tons of iem's that do bass very well and some add more quantity than others but it doesn't fit with any definition of extreme we have here in this thread.
Although, I'd like to end by saying something else positive about them. From the many headphones and iem's I've tried, there are probably more iem's that have basshead level bass AND have a good representation of the rest of sonic spectrum than headphones doing both of those things.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,939 of 12,991
I agree about iem's being better for public use than headphones. My ciem's have actual isolation at any volume. No headphone with decent sound I've heard have good isolation as well as no leaking. There's ton of basshead iem's out there. Shure as one example has plenty. My CIEM's by Perfect Seal have ton of bass as well.

But the thiing is, headphone bass is completely different from iem bass. Nothing shakes, or vibrates but it can still be felt in your head as much as heard. The basis of this thread is to show the impact on these cans video as well, can't do that with iem's. The earthquake we feel on the ear and skin and hear is made by pushing air from the drivers, can't do that with iem's.  Honestly, there's tons of iem's that do bass very well and some add more quantity than others but it doesn't fit with any definition of extreme we have here in this thread.
If headphones here are a step down in physical impact from actual subwoofers than iem's can't put up a fight in that battle.

You're right on that, I forgot about that being the kind of bass. I got some on right now too, no shaking at all, but the bass definitely is exaggerated and is just kind of booming. If we like crazy shaking bass here, with IEM's I can imagine we would want booming bass. Maybe with IEM's it's too different for there to be a large enough concensus? The kind of bass I want in an IEM is booming and powerful,but of course it won't be shaking like a set of cans, it'll just be like pressure. I don't think they would be able to put up a fight against a set of cans for bass heads because they are very different acting with bass, like you said, but they should be a compliment, not a primary set to take the place of a good set of cans. Like if someone has a good set of bass head cans, like one from this list, they should have a good set of bass heavy IEM's as well as a secondary or compliment to the headphones. That's how I see it, but that's just me.

Nevertheless, I would like a central place to list IEM's with the best bass (deep, power, etc.) and others can ask about them or other sets and add to the list or just whatever. Then again, I like organization and uniformity, so it's just natural I want a central location for that topic, and it helps that I love bass, like we all do here.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #2,940 of 12,991
Wondering if there are other models desktop or portable over the FiiO e12 recommended and well tested? I would know if you indicate some of them?

Thank You.

As far as a DAC goes, you probably won't need one, unless you have an old computer with horrible on board audio. I can recommend a good sound card if you want one or need one, I can vouch for the Creative Sound Blaster Z, and it's only $70 on Newegg.

For amps, the unofficial amp here for the crazy bass you see in the videos or the bass we are after is the Fiio E12. So, I guess my answer would be no, I don't know of any other amps besides the e12 that would be for the best bass here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back