The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #1,636 of 12,991
The crazy thing is my Lawton modded D7000 is a match for my formerly owned TH900, also with Lawton mods.

Which makes sense since it's the same chassis.

Really, the D5000 I have stock is awfully close to my D7000 as well, just not as crisp (Lawton mods do make a difference).

Gents, out of vintage amps with tone controls used and loudness switch thrown these Denon/Fostex cans are epic and sound incredible.

Then we throw on the D7100...........another thumper to rival the earlier brethren.

We had gelocks in here doing a paper test before. Your welcome to use the standard or bass track used on the Fostex. Add it to the archive of the channel or your own. 
The sz need a pad change which is a simple mod but goes to the point that it's not what a can does but it's what a can CAN do. 
biggrin.gif

(3 out of 9 words were can...but ya'll get my point
wink.gif
)

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,637 of 12,991
How dare you say anything negative about my TH900s (I'm kidding of course)!  That's interesting though about the Lawton mods.  I've only heard the D7100 for a relatively short period (10min) but I do remember the bass impact being as "rock your skull" as the D600 but I would still give the nod to the TH900 for better bass detail (my opinion of course).  I really wish Denon would drastically lower the price on the D7100 as I liked them more than the HD700.

I bought my D7100 used (barely as they still had the plastic protective material on the cups still) for $475..........and I've seen a couple others recently for $625 or less. I agree with you, the Denon price is ridiculous. Well worth $500ish.........not so much near $1000.

HBB - I'd have to use totally different amping and sources so in the interests of consistency I'm not able to reproduce the test properly. It's just cool to see the cross-pollination occurring with audiophile cans competing with these bass monsters.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #1,638 of 12,991
I bought my D7100 used (barely as they still had the plastic protective material on the cups still) for $475..........and I've seen a couple others recently for $625 or less. I agree with you, the Denon price is ridiculous. Well worth $500ish.........not so much near $1000.

HBB - I'd have to use totally different amping and sources so in the interests of consistency I'm not able to reproduce the test properly. It's just cool to see the cross-pollination occurring with audiophile cans competing with these bass monsters.

I totally agree with you at $500 they're an easy purchase.  What's HBB?

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,641 of 12,991
Just broke my XB-800's yesterday. They are super-glueable, but it was time to get a new pair anyways since the input's rubber coating was beginning to chaff from putting my phone in and from my pants pocket. Looking to spend honestly under $100, but willing to go over by $30 if absolutely necessary. Today i will also find out if i'm approved to own my dream car, so if that falls through, i can go willy nilly so to speak. I'd like to stay away from JVC as i had issues with the cord coming from the cans consistently. Even dropped my phone once with the cord coming with the phone and cans still on my head.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,644 of 12,991
The crazy thing is my Lawton modded D7000 is a match for my formerly owned TH900, also with Lawton mods.

Which makes sense since it's the same chassis.

Really, the D5000 I have stock is awfully close to my D7000 as well, just not as crisp (Lawton mods do make a difference).

Gents, out of vintage amps with tone controls used and loudness switch thrown these Denon/Fostex cans are epic and sound incredible.

Then we throw on the D7100...........another thumper to rival the earlier brethren.

I'd love to hear the infamous D7000 :)

How does it compare to the D7100?

A worthy successor?

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,647 of 12,991

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/LDBxvWpr1S4[/VIDEO]

This Dubstep video is pretty awesome listening with bass cans on heavy EQ :D

imagejpg1-89.jpg

Approved with big reputation & thumbs up for sure :wink:

Ahhhhhh. My ears are ringing after listening to 20 minutes of that killer dub. Think a need to take a break from music for little whiles

Woah, that was crazy. Ears just stopped ringing. Back to some more bass. Lol

Yessssss, can't wait for the show to begin.

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #1,648 of 12,991
Just thought I'd throw this in quickly - recently a good headfier buddy of mine seemed to have found what I can only imagine is the last remaining new stock of SONY MDR-XB700's from an online retailer whom mustn't be aware of just how rare whatever remaining stock he has of these.

I was sceptical at first so ran the vendors web address through a number of checks including http://scamadvisor.com, and they checked out as 100% safe with years of consistent good history behind them :)

I've already got these cans - I bought them second user as that's all I could find at the time, and I've got to say the XB700 put a smile on my face from the second I put them on my head and pressed play.

By the time Id added some bass heavy EQ I was positively grinning from ear to ear, and it's no surprise that these 50mm bass cannons have been a long feature in the extreme bass cans top 10 and still currently reside there.

Not wanting to miss a chance of picking up a new pair, I put my order in and today they arrived!

Pretty amazing that there's still new stock of these classics still out there....but there is :wink:

Production date shows as 03/2012 - wow! Maybe these were forgot about in the back of a stock room and uncovered only until now?

Price paid: £79.99 GBP ($134.14 USD) via PayPal

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,649 of 12,991

We had gelocks in here doing a paper test before. Your welcome to use the standard or bass track used on the Fostex. Add it to the archive of the channel or your own. The sz need a pad change which is a simple mod but goes to the point that it's not what a can does but it's what a can CAN do. 
biggrin.gif

(3 out of 9 words were can...but ya'll get my point
wink.gif
)

I'll try with my Denon D5000s later in the weekend to see what I can get out of them... but as Oregonian says, different equipment and methodology (probably no bass boost) but I'll try to apply some ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back