The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,651 of 12,991
I'd love to hear the infamous D7000 :)

How does it compare to the D7100?

A worthy successor?

The D7100 gets a lot of hate on the boards here and I only tried it because the D600 was so good. It's a worthy successor to the D7000 to a point. It still doesn't have the (hard to explain) rich sound the D7000 has much like the Fostex cans. It's got oodles of bass and plenty of it so from that standpoint (reminding myself this us the extreme bass thread) it likely hits deeper than the D7000. On the graphs from Headroom's create a graph with four Denon cans the 7100 has the most bass in both the sub and mid bass region.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,652 of 12,991

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,654 of 12,991
Hey Hawaiibadboy, should the Akai MPC/M-Audio HDH-50 bass modded be on the recommendation list? Wondering if you forgot about em?

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,655 of 12,991
Hey Hawaiibadboy, should the Akai MPC/M-Audio HDH-50 bass modded be on the recommendation list? Wondering if you forgot about em?

There's a few cans I've not got around to adding to the recommended list yet, but will be shortly which include the Monster N-Pulse, SMS Street DJ and vintage Lafayette model F-990, but modded cans don't feature, outside of pad changes.

----------------------------------​

If anyone would like to download the bass/paper test mix as used recently in the FOSTEX Fury Vs. JVC HA-SZ2000 battle, you can find it at below link - and it's totally free and easy to download - just click the download tab and you'll have it in no time :)

https://soundcloud.com/happy-daze/cb3723-brutal-bassegeddon-headphone-test-mix

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Oa3sAg4wOpw[/VIDEO]

Bass/paper test mix as used in both these video's!

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/ABYgPOmpm1o[/VIDEO]​

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #1,656 of 12,991
Oh lol. HBB modded his Akai MPC's after he was sent a mysterious email. He cut open two diaphragm ports as the email instructed him to do... It seems like a pretty easy mod, and you get a bassy audiophile can that way. He said before the mod, they wouldn't budge their sound sig even with +24db of bass iirc. I'll wait for him to comment. :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,657 of 12,991
Oh lol. HBB modded his Akai MPC's after he was sent a mysterious email. He cut open two diaphragm ports as the email instructed him to do... It seems like a pretty easy mod, and you get a bassy audiophile can that way. He said before the mod, they wouldn't budge their sound sig even with +24db of bass iirc. I'll wait for him to comment. :)

I've discussed this with HBB already, and it is his decision to not include the modded Akai MPC's, but I'll leave it for HBB to comment in more detail on this as you request :wink:

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,658 of 12,991
I've discussed this with HBB already, and it is his decision to not include the modded Akai MPC's, but I'll leave it for HBB to comment in more detail on this as you request :wink:
oh ok nevermind lol... Akai MPC/M-Audio HDH-50's sure have a good build quality it seems for 200$. Quite the lookers too. Well, if modded cans aren't included, then alright. :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,659 of 12,991

His mod worked nicely. Not as good a bass response as the Q40 but clearly better than stock.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,660 of 12,991
His mod worked nicely. Not as good a bass response as the Q40 but clearly better than stock.
oh... I'd rather have the HDH-50/MPC's anyways. Q40's build just looks... Flimsy. It doesn't look to be as bad as the Sony MDR-V55's horrible build quality (oh my gosh, the build on those is SO BAD. I couldn't believe that they are 80$. They sounded decent, but the build was horridly bad when I tried them.)but it still looks pretty inexcusable for 100$.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,662 of 12,991
I don't know what you guys think of them, but imo, those Denons are very nice looking cans. :)
denon_d7100_d600_05.jpg
I'd like to own a D600 someday. :)

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,663 of 12,991
In a nod to those who think me and cb don't disagree we do
wink.gif
. Not often.... but I find the Q40 to be the most overrated cans i have ever touched. It was called a cannon and a face melter and so on in the old bass thread and it's not and it's build quality is terrible. Somebody in there once implied the Q40 were superior in bass response to the sz. That's how much the homerism was.

AKAI​

77X
HPH AKAI​

The mod mailed was a semi fail.
The holes need to be opposed and the weakest part of the otherwise oustanding build was the plastic cups. Like deadining material the bass went to it and died. Ad the aluminum flashing and it hammers.

My 77x are my hardest hittings cans and they do crazy **** after this mod (left pic)

They are modded so I don't spout about too much but when folks talk about Lawton mods and other stuff I gotta jump in.

The AKAI stomp a mud hole in the Q40's ass and walk it dry. Need to put in work but if modding is within your thing than this is within reach. They eat more amd and hit harder just like a nice new 50mm driver should do to a older smaller 40mm. It all lines up with common sense

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,665 of 12,991
  In a nod to those who think me and cb don't disagree we do
wink.gif
. Not often.... but I find the Q40 to be the most overrated cans i have ever touched. It was called a cannon and a face melter and so on in the old bass thread and it's not and it's build quality is terrible. Somebody in there once implied the Q40 were superior in bass response to the sz. That's how much the homerism was.

Well I'm sure I will disagree with you guys a lot :).  I'm a bit of a Beats & Bose hater but not as much of a hater anymore given their stuff sounds noticeably better than it used to.  I will try to keep an open mind though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back