The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #871 of 12,975
So,

months after trying to simulate the built-in Windows bass boost enhancement, specifically at 50Hz +24dB, I measured its frequency response again, zoomed in, and saw that it was peaked at 41Hz lol. But then I saw that my 25Hz peak was shifted to 35Hz this time. Then I saw my soundcard was using a 192KHz sample rate and was causing audible intermodular distortion. Anyway ...

@milk asked for advice on EQ for Mac OS X, so I'll just share what I said in here as @hummel is looking for better Mac EQs as well. I've never used OS X my entire life--UNIX yes--and my last attempt at a Hackintosh required buying a new wireless card, so I'm not aware of important Mac apps. What you want is a Parametric EQ (PEQ). For starters, try searching for "Parametric EQ" for OS X. I'm very, very sure PEQs are available for iOS as well as OS X since they're basic stuff. Here is a head-fi google search so you can look for similar threads before starting your own--I found this thread to be the most helpful so far. I was able to simulate the Windows bass boost using only a parametric EQ (Equalizer APO), so my settings should be usable in other parametric EQs:

Filter 1 : ON  PEQ     Fc 50 Hz    Gain 24.00 dB  Q 0.329
Filter 2 : ON  PEQ     Fc 25 Hz    Gain 21.00 dB  Q 1.000
Filter 3 : ON  PEQ     Fc 3000 Hz Gain 21.00 dB  Q 0.266

1. Filter 1 is for the hardest bass impact, which turns this kick drum into this (indistinguishable to the effect of WBB).
  2. Filter 2 is for the deepest bass (lower peak frequency) AND rumble, and works together with Filter 1, as the two filters overlap, add up, and form a steeper curve peaked at 25Hz. Why the overlap instead of just one filter? It's impossible to get the same shape/effect, as you either get a significant attenuation of -5 to -7dB (7 compared to WBB) at 50Hz, or the low midrange floor gets raised thus reducing the perceived impact.
  3. Filter 3 is for restoring "clarity" by raising the Singer's Formant frequency while preserving the dynamic range, so the bass is still loud. Compare this less clear track to this clearer track, and notice that the bass is not significantly diminished.

Click here for the Windows tutorial.

RMAA FR measurements:

TobYugL.png

Notice how the green (APO w/ WBB) and white (APO only) curves are very close by -2dB from the 25Hz peak up, and only different in the less audible lower frequencies. Also note Cowon iAudio's BBE effect visible as an increasing slope starting from 600Hz towards infinity, which purports to "refine sound quality into clearer and more vivid sound," and see how Filter 3 is similarly curved up to the magic 3KHz peak frequency. You can definitely simulate other JetEffect technologies using only EQ (except reverb and stereo effects such as crossover and soundstage), even the $250 digiZoid ZO3 (which maxes at +14dB at 25Hz PF measured from the midrange floor; the ZO2.3 reaches +15dB at 25Hz PF):

Now, these settings should be a bit too extreme even for the extreme basshead, but tweaking them is as easy as lowering the gain of each filter by the same amount. Hawaii shared some EQ tricks in here. As a general solution, it works for most of the tracks that I listen to, and I even find it enjoyable with delicate piano tracks!

These settings, simple as they are, doesn't work properly with RockBox as RockBox clips the signal even with a -50dB precut. Let us know if you know any app with parametric EQ for Mac and Android!

Why do this?

Straightforward answer: Listen for yourself:

Wiz Khalifa - On My Level
Before: (Listen to normal volume.)

After: (This track is preamped to -24dB, so raise normal volume +24dB. This is an older version of my EQ settings with a much weaker Filter 3, so it does not sound as clear. This track with the new EQ sounds better and much clearer without losing bass impact.)

Judas Priest - Painkiller
Before: (Listen to normal volume.)

After: (This track is preamped to -24dB, so raise normal volume +24dB. This is an older version of my EQ settings with a much weaker Filter 3, so it does not sound as clear.)

Click here for more song comparisons.

Detailed answer:

Most people are slaves to what they unknowingly internalize as "original," "authoritative," "canonical." They grow a system of beliefs based on unchecked foundations, and within the hi-fi community, one such foundation is that there IS an "original" recording of music that needs to be reproduced accurately. Philosophers like de Man and Baudrillard have long freed us from this tethered thinking since last century, with catchphrases such as "They kill the original, by discovering that the original was already dead" and "The author is dead" graffitied in the blood of tyrants. Poststructuralism has been powerful in destroying absolutist frameworks that determine systems of oppression; however, some of its theories have also been used to justify nihilism and to discredit history. In the context of signal reproduction, true, there is such a thing as accuracy, where signal "A" must cross a journey to arrive at its destination in "C_T" as "A" and not "U" or else the resulting message becomes "CUT" and not "CAT." However, the issue is not accuracy, but whether YOU intend to send the signals "U" and "E" to "C_T" to make it "CUTE." It is not about killing the author as it is about bringing YOU, the audience, to life. You have agency. You are free. Most importantly, you are ALIVE.

Here at Head-Fi, digital/analog filters as simple as an equalizer are generally considered taboo that you see veteran head-fi members prefacing a review to justify/apologize for their use of any equalizer. But most music in the industry are in fact mixed in the studio for optimal reproduction with particular categories of sound systems. This optimization ensures that the music would sound its best to as many of the target audience as possible. Since most domestic sound systems notoriously roll off the bass at around 80Hz, mastering studios bump the bass a bit higher than that, which really sucks if your preferred bass kick peak frequency is a deep 25Hz.

There are so many who genuinely love bass, and would love to have more of it, but are limited by a purist, antiEQ mentality. To get their desired bass level, they try to raise the volume enough until the more sensitive frequencies--the 2KHz-5KHz range for example breaches your perceived loudness threshold earlier than the other ranges--get too loud. They are stuck with this method, so when testing the same volume with the SZ2000, they find the bass could not deliver compared to other headphones with stock FRs that have the bass boosted higher than the SZ's.

With this reasoning, they solve their problem by relying on stock FRs. Hey, many, if not the majority, are averse to audio processing of any kind and rely on stock FR. I respect that. That is fine. And costly.

You need EQ. Because it's cheap. And it can bend your perceived FR however you want it (within an inaudible margin of error). For example, consider having headphones that are harsh on the 2KHz-5KHz range and lacking in the sub 100Hz range. You can use EQ to attenuate the 2KHz-5Khz range and emphasize the sub 100Hz range to make the FR flat. In fact, Golden Ears has launched an EQ product that simply uses an inverse linear filter customized to match the stock FR of your headphones, basically cancelling out the dips and spikes for a resulting flat FR.

However magical a tool it is, EQ cannot correct room reverberations. Excessive room reverb is when sound gets echoed off walls (such as the headphone cups and earpads) and create standing waves that interfere with the direct sound (sound coming directly from the speaker). This is why it is ideal to have an anechoic chamber (basically a chamber with walls that absorb sound to mimic an infinitely open space, and at the same time prevent external noise), or a simulation of it when it comes to headphones. To minimize room reverb in headphones, most of the big name manufacturers use an open design, which you will notice is the most implemented design among Summit-Fi cans. For closed headphones, some line the interior with sound absorbent material. Room reverb is the bane of acoustic engineers. For bassheads, however, room reverb is often beneficial especially for the lower end, as it adds room gain to the lower frequencies and sometimes lowers the peak frequency, making the bass deeper. Basshead cans such as the old XB series have these huge, roomy leather pillows for earpads that enhance the bass experience. The SZ2000 earpads are covered in a kind of absorbent leather, and the isolation isn't strong enough that it leaks sound--this design possibly was an attempt at minimizing room reverb, but to most of the owners that was a mistake.

Can room reverb be corrected with audio signal processing? Perhaps; I've seen a few solutions already, but they aren't widely used. There IS a method called convolution, which takes the impulse response of a room (the room reverb of an actual room or inside a headphone can), and "convolves" any audio signal using that impulse response to simulate how that signal sounds like in that room. In Foobar2000, you can get the Convolver plug-in and use the impulse response of a basshead headphone to enhance your bass experience. EQ can't do this. Now, if you want the other way around, such as recording the impulse response of a room, and creating an inverse filter function to counter its effects, it is called deconvolution and you can find some solutions in Google, but I personally haven't tried them.

One irony with people averse to audio processing of any kind is that the volume control itself is a form of audio processing. Increasing the gain of all the signals equally, with little distortion, either requires amplification of that signal to add gain, or an attenuator that decreases resistance if you want to increase volume. My simple point is: Don't be afraid to use tools.

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #872 of 12,975

One irony with people averse to audio processing of any kind is that the volume control itself is a form of audio processing. Increasing the gain of all the signals equally, with little distortion, either requires amplification of that signal to add gain, or an attenuator that decreases resistance if you want to increase volume. My simple point is: Don't be afraid to use tools.

Man.....
You were missed while you were gone!!  You and cb contribute so much to this thread. You guys are this thread.

Mahalo nui loa!!!

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #873 of 12,975

The Throne...​

It awaits @cb3723

I have been busy playing shaved ice man and ******* with my underwater camera....******* love that thing.

Anyway.
If me and him can play on the same field (he's using what I got...is it the best?? Not the point... it's identical...that's the point)
He has about every can I have deemed to be worthy of Top 10 slotting. If we consider the sz2k with xx pads to be the zero point standard then cans like the xb1k and others can be slotted more accurately. The NPulse which is 40mm is/was slotted for removal as I have become convinced beyond doubt that a 50+mm driver holds a clear audible advantage over -10cm cans. 53,55....70??? Clearly better able to handle extension on low frequency sub-bass hits and deliver the energy to travel through pads and punch heads.

Edit my list. Make a new one...whatever:D ...July....is yours

......Pass the Mic...

"​
In The Place With The Bass I'm Going All The Way​

I Can't Stop Y'All​
Tock Tick Y'All​

And If You Think That You're Slick You'll Catch A Brick Y'All​

'Cause I'm A Turn It In​
And I'm A Turn It Out​

But Now I've Got To Pass The Mic "​

Dear Extreme Bassheads, on Sept 12th 1962, President John F Kennedy, speaking at Rice University in what's now known as his "moon speech" said the following:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/g25G1M4EXrQ[/VIDEO]​

In that same spirit of endeavour, I have sought to replicate the bass/paper test, using the exact hardware and settings as formulated by a true pioneer of Extreme Bass namely, Hawaiibadboy.

Enjoy :wink:

fd2a220e-d9a7-4db1-8348-189d49ed050a.png
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Id5Ub1k11sc[/VIDEO]
45cf55b6-111f-4a7e-b124-86f3b22ca421.png

Extreme Bass is outerbass - a Bass Odyssey!
(not 2 b confused with the moon with the rebel base :wink: lol)

2uqmc92.gif

As for the "Throne" I see this as everybody's who contributes and participates -
- a collective in pursuit of bass and its extremities - We Come 1 :wink:

2mq00gp.gif

2e6e66b9-a5ec-4914-af8a-37561b3b9d9d.png
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/65EfTFUFDwI[/VIDEO]
34940c4c-5de7-4378-af78-981b9c439844.png

15p05f7.gif

Important note: if you wish to replicate this HBB formula - the main device doing a lot of the work here is the jeteffects settings from the Cowon iaudio 10 - the E12 amp with bass boost switch and 16dB switches turned on alone without the Cowons EQ settings used, is not enough though still an important device in this chain.

To get similar results without having to buy another DAP, unless you already own such, is the Fiio E17 as it has higher bass EQ settings and if you are like me and use a few Apple devices such as iPod/iPad etc - the Fiio E17 is a very good match.

My experience with the Cowon iaudio 10 DAP so far is that it is a great little DAP and the custom EQ that HBB has provided via jeteffects is pretty awesome for sure.

But if you are looking to pick up either the SZ1000 or SZ2000 and are looking for the kind of bass shown on this threads videos, and you already own an Apple device, but not yet owning a portable headphone amplifier - the E12 will not produce the level of bass you are looking for when paired with say an iPod for example, but the E17 will IMO.

Want to really blow your head off? Buy a Cowon DAP with jeteffects 3.0 or over with a decent headphone amp E12, E17 or whatever other good quality brand takes your fancy that you can audition for yourself :wink:

I will at some point try the Cowon out with my E17 to see what happens.....:)

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #874 of 12,975
Also, I uploaded a video for laughs... I say my K240 gets an A for effort. :D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKNqIkKdVs this isn't as important as what CB posted a second ago, although the duct tape on the back to close the k240's was interesting... Btw, congrats guys! 4,104 views on YouTube on the extreme bass channel!

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #875 of 12,975
Also, I uploaded a video for laughs... I say my K240 gets an A for effort. :D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKNqIkKdVs this isn't as important as what CB posted a second ago, although the duct tape on the back to close the k240's was interesting... Btw, congrats guys! 4,104 views on YouTube on the extreme bass channel!

Good job bro - it's all about participating and taking the time to put up a video - cool 2 U bru - anybody want 2 know how the AKG 240 rocks the bass paper test? (With gobs of duct tape on the open back earcups - lol :D )

BOOM!

Now they know!

:cool:

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKNqIkKdVs[/VIDEO]​

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #876 of 12,975
Has anyone heard the yamaha pro500 could you tell me whether it is truly a bass cannon its the only headphone I have not heard and interested in getting them and could you match them to another headphones some reviews say they are no better than the ue6000 and others say they are cannons a little confused about them if they are like the ue6000 then not interested in them if they are more like the sz2000 and pro700mk2 then its a defo buy. thanks for any help

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #877 of 12,975
  Has anyone heard the yamaha pro500 could you tell me whether it is truly a bass cannon its the only headphone I have not heard and interested in getting them and could you match them to another headphones some reviews say they are no better than the ue6000 and others say they are cannons a little confused about them if they are like the ue6000 then not interested in them if they are more like the sz2000 and pro700mk2 then its a defo buy. thanks for any help

Check my review on my sig. Apart from the style and fit, I personally LOVED those headphones! :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #878 of 12,975
These look interesting. 53mm driver. Bass heavy. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-XD2-53-Professional-Monitoring/dp/B00797YYV8/ref=sr_1_35?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1404171239&sr=1-35

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #880 of 12,975
I think these may have featured in the top 10 at some point?
maybe... I mean, there was that torrent of DJ cans that one month. Can't remember most of them.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #881 of 12,975
@cb3723

You even got the Princess luna (whatever it's called) mini plug!!
I can HEAR the paper going nutz
beerchug.gif
....awesome!!
You got 30 days to put up your Top Ten. 

The 53mm Heath's could hit like the 700mk2 but maybe harder? Maybe not....same driver I think. The DJ cans have input ratings around 3000mW because of the DJ equip so if you invert/negative eq you can get them to be pretty impactful. I took them off because for some that's a long way to go for a bass hit but those guys have to hear over the din of clubs bumping with music. They get really loud...LOUD! If you can tame the highs while raising the lows you get a hammer...lotta work though.

Back to the test. Comparing your previous test with the sz2k this vid is clearly doing the earthquake to the point where the paper seizures are sometimes louder than the music. Put em on your head and go full throttle for the whole wiz song...cheap non isolating pads.....FTW BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Seriously.....you got the cable too....******* Aaaaaaaawesome!!

@DisCHORDDubstep

Nice work....every vid is an important contribution!! Nice work!!

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #882 of 12,975
Important notice to any prospective Cowon iaudio 10 buyers!

One important thing I nearly forgot to mention regarding the Cowon iaudio 10 DAP, and did delay me in getting test video up a little, is the European Union volume limiter.

I was a bit dumbfounded as to What was going on until I found this bit of advice from a Cowon iaudio 10 owner, which when applied - works and is essential to get the best out of your Cowon, if you live in European Union!

"Now, an important tip. Sound volume will be very low if you bought this player in the UK/EU - as all other manufactures Cowon have to limit the sound volume as per EU directive (big brother always thinking about you!). I was contemplating whether to buy an amplifier or return the player when I found out how to remove this limitation.

Open a player in Explorer, go to System, find and delete PARAMS.CFG file. You can copy and save it on your PC if you want. Restart the player. It will start with the options. Select your language, then go for Non-European Union!!!! - this will remove the sound volume limit and even further improve the sound."

Deleting the PARAMS.CFG file from Settings = wow! what a difference removing a dumb ass file can make! :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #883 of 12,975
Ok today i received my second and third pair of headphones. The 55x for the pads and the beats pro
I'm not sure of the 55x pads give extra bass to the sz2000... and for the beats pro. I'm still testing, but they can hit as hard as the sz2000 at normal listening levels

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #884 of 12,975
Ok today i received my second and third pair of headphones. The 55x for the pads and the beats pro
I'm not sure of the 55x pads give extra bass to the sz2000... and for the beats pro. I'm still testing, but they can hit as hard as the sz2000 at normal listening levels

Cool cans bra - you gonna do a bass/paper test video? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back