The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jun 8, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #12,287 of 12,992
Anyone tried the Fostex TH610 out? was wondering if the bass strength on it was comparable with the TH900 or the v-moda LP2 that I'm familiar with.
Thinking about getting the 610 or a m1060c at some point but I do like some strong bass so not sure on the differences,
thanks
They never sounded great to me. I didn't find them very bassy and I found the sound lacked clarity.
I gave them the tune up, which improved them a bit, but still not very good, to me.
Then people were saying that I needed to change the cups. At that point I jumped ship and sold them.
You can do so much better.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #12,288 of 12,992
I grew up (mis)spending a lot of my youth in Fabric, at several points considered the world's best nightclub, with a particular need to satisfy my penchant for bass, and can say that I reached my headphone endgame in the TH900. It's the only can that's come anywhere close to replicating the deep, full, meaty low frequencies of the club environment.

I'm honestly rather astounded by those who thought the bass on these is anything other than sensational.

Edit: for reference on my bass tastes, I'll quote Wikipedia on Fabric's sound system.

"A feature of the club is its vibrating floor in Room One: known as a "bodysonic" dancefloor, sections of the floor are attached to 400 bass transducers emitting bass frequencies of the music being played."

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #12,289 of 12,992
I grew up (mis)spending a lot of my youth in Fabric, at several points considered the world's best nightclub, with a particular need to satisfy my penchant for bass, and can say that I reached my headphone endgame in the TH900. It's the only can that's come anywhere close to replicating the deep, full, meaty low frequencies of the club environment.

I'm honestly rather astounded by those who thought the bass on these is anything other than sensational.

Edit: for reference on my bass tastes, I'll quote Wikipedia on Fabric's sound system.

"A feature of the club is its vibrating floor in Room One: known as a "bodysonic" dancefloor, sections of the floor are attached to 400 bass transducers emitting bass frequencies of the music being played."
Same here. Grew up in the Netherlands with function 1 sound systems in clubs and festivals. TH900 comes damn close for a headphone, but only with a sick bass boost. I use my computer (EQ APO) with a 16 DB boost in that region, then a RME ADI-2 DAC with a 12 DB boost in the bass region and to top it of all of this goes into my iFi Pro iCAN with the Xbass boost to the max on 40hz. Bass is just insane. I mostly listen to EDM. Only headphone that tops the bass quality is my HE6se v2. That thing sounds crazy good with the right amplification (bass and sound quality is jaw dropping) but is open if course. And when I really want to go mad on my skull I grab my JVC HA SZ2000.

TLDR: You need the right equalization and for some headphones also the right amplification to get to the bass levels I and many more in this topic crave. But most of the people judge headphones how they sound out of the box with no equalization. And yes the TH900 and many other headphones sound rather dull and boring in the bass regions. I can't listen to cans and IEMs anymore without EQ. it just makes the listening sensation way more intense. Like it was meant to be.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #12,290 of 12,992

I honestly think it might have something to do with the pads not creating a good seal for some people. I can't come up with a better possibility for the night and day bass impressions. Don't know.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #12,291 of 12,992
Y’all the VZR does give you a body sensation in the bass impact. Something about the Crosswave and how it hits your ear differently than direct firing. It’s very speaker like. If you want what you’re describing from a headphone, the VZR will deliver it.

Without EQ. In a reference tuning.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #12,292 of 12,992
Y’all the VZR does give you a body sensation in the bass impact. Something about the Crosswave and how it hits your ear differently than direct firing. It’s very speaker like. If you want what you’re describing from a headphone, the VZR will deliver it.

Without EQ. In a reference tuning.

I can't seem to find any measurements on the ear pads. I have a pretty large head and possibly even larger ears hahah

Do you mind measuring the opening of the pads so I can compare them to my Sony Z7 pads?

Also, it doesn't look like VZR offers any replacement pads... That's a little concerning for long term use..

Jun 10, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #12,293 of 12,992
I can't seem to find any measurements on the ear pads. I have a pretty large head and possibly even larger ears hahah

Do you mind measuring the opening of the pads so I can compare them to my Sony Z7 pads?

Also, it doesn't look like VZR offers any replacement pads... That's a little concerning for long term use..
Sure here you go, I got the iPhone with the LiDAR so it should be pretty accurate.

I actually got in touch with the founder to suggest some future product ideas and share some audiophile marketing suggestions, I’m fearless and resourceful when it comes to stuff like that. He mentioned that new pads are being released soon and seemed excited about them.

Attachments

• 73601909-9804-46C9-98BD-1BF390BAC4F5.jpeg
    73601909-9804-46C9-98BD-1BF390BAC4F5.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #12,294 of 12,992

Same here. Grew up in the Netherlands with function 1 sound systems in clubs and festivals. TH900 comes damn close for a headphone, but only with a sick bass boost. I use my computer (EQ APO) with a 16 DB boost in that region, then a RME ADI-2 DAC with a 12 DB boost in the bass region and to top it of all of this goes into my iFi Pro iCAN with the Xbass boost to the max on 40hz. Bass is just insane. I mostly listen to EDM. Only headphone that tops the bass quality is my HE6se v2. That thing sounds crazy good with the right amplification (bass and sound quality is jaw dropping) but is open if course. And when I really want to go mad on my skull I grab my JVC HA SZ2000.

TLDR: You need the right equalization and for some headphones also the right amplification to get to the bass levels I and many more in this topic crave. But most of the people judge headphones how they sound out of the box with no equalization. And yes the TH900 and many other headphones sound rather dull and boring in the bass regions. I can't listen to cans and IEMs anymore without EQ. it just makes the listening sensation way more intense. Like it was meant to be.

I honestly think it might have something to do with the pads not creating a good seal for some people. I can't come up with a better possibility for the night and day bass impressions. Don't know.

See, I've spent quite a few nights in Fabric myself. But I'm pretty confused - the TH series from Fostex are good, but...they reach their limit pretty quickly IMO. They're a little over-hyped in this domain. They get out bassed by a lot of things (like the M-100s with XL pads, EQ and power) - but out resolve a lot of things too (basshead wise in the £500 and below range).
However, I will say that the TR-X00 Purplehearts are my favourite cans out of the box, because it's the only one that seems to do sub bass at an enjoyable level (within reason) without EQ. But all those Fostex cans cry if you push them.
Just try "Kites" by Submotion Orchestra (3:50 onwards) and try to play it at any serious volume. The M-100s do it better.
It's always useful to see what songs people are playing and if they're mid bass, bass or sub bass heads. Mid bass is usually quite easy to achieve and pretty popular. Sub bass is usually a fruitless endeavour re: headphones (thank god the SZ2000s exist), or if done at good SPL, the SQ isn't usually great.
And bass is hit or miss, sometimes headphones do it will and others not so much.
The only cans that have out-sub-bassed the SZs are expensive Audeze planars. LCD-X 2021, LCD-3 and LCD-4.
The LCD-X with the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label as the DAC/Amp + bass boost is great, but if you're trying to do silly basshead stuff, you need a silly amp. I use the Emotiva Basx A-100 and it just makes me smile that decent planars will basically do anything you want if you can power them. And the rest of the frequency response is amazing (within reason) compared to all the other "cheaper" basshead cans.
Like I can listen to "Fumez - Jungle" until my whole head is shaking and there's no (well...OK, minimal) distortion with a total boost of around +16db in the nether regions of the FR. The SZs can do it too, but mids are incredibly poor in comparison (which was never an issue with that kind of listening and always an acceptable trade off - until I found that you didn't need to trade off anymore).
Actually I'm wondering how it's possible with a single driver setup - but meh, above my pay grade - I just accept planars are magic, and I'm just happy the basshead search is complete. In any case, it's a lot to pay (LCD-X 2021 + iFi Micro BL + Emotiva BasX or maybe a Flux FA-10), but I highly recommend it if you haven't.

I will say that getting the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads for the Purplehearts helped - but only with comfort, sweat (none anymore) and stability (headbanging can now ensue without the can flying off your head). Both the 900s and X00s suffer the exact same wind turbine effect when heavy sub bass and mids are playing at the same time regardless of pads, power or EQ and the highs will kill you quick without EQ if you listen to aggressive music (which is the same for most cans, but especially those for highs). For solo bass notes however, they're extremely competent.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #12,296 of 12,992
Hi I’m a sub bass head. Previously Audeze has been my preferred hifi brand because of this. I find the VZR to seriously deliver the sub-bass goods.
I'm very interested in this headphone, I wonder if it lives up to the hype. I may buy it just to test it out.

I will say that I'm not at all impressed with anything coming from Apple or its former employees, in fact, to me anything associated with the Apple brand is synonymous with crap but I'll give credit where credit is due. I'm not an anti fanboy but in my experience with Apple and the way they run their business is nothing positive.

I highly doubt it will have more sub bass than my modded Sony z7m2 as I took it to canjam nyc to compare to alot of other headphones there and nothing came close.

How is the rest of the frequency response?

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #12,297 of 12,992
I'm very interested in this headphone, I wonder if it lives up to the hype. I may buy it just to test it out.

I will say that I'm not at all impressed with anything coming from Apple or its former employees, in fact, to me anything associated with the Apple brand is synonymous with crap but I'll give credit where credit is due. I'm not an anti fanboy but in my experience with Apple and the way they run their business is nothing positive.

I highly doubt it will have more sub bass than my modded Sony z7m2 as I took it to canjam nyc to compare to alot of other headphones there and nothing came close.

How is the rest of the frequency response?
Hi! I’ve never heard that Sony but the VZR tuning is a reference tuning which I think would be ideal for mixing/production.

It sounds like speakers, though, with end to end slam and physical presence. 20hz to 20khz. Usually people say “the drums sound so real” which is reflective of this quality from cymbals down.

While I am an apple fan, I think most non-fans would probably point toward the software as the reason for the distaste. I think it’s probably difficult to say the same thing about the electro-mechanical side of the house.

Give it 40 hours or so to break in if you try it out!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #12,299 of 12,992
Modded Sony Z7m2 hits very hard. It has the hardest hitting sub bass I've heard in a headphone so far.

Will tenderize your eardrums like you were at an EDM concert.
What mods did you do on them?

Jun 14, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #12,300 of 12,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back