The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 30, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #12,271 of 12,992
I also own the M-100 and I have to agree with @baunauf about the Edition XS. The bass is definitely much better on the Edition XS. Despite being open-backed, it can produce some face rattling bass with the Pro iCan bass boost. So far, it's my favorite presentation of bass, especially subbass, ever. I just recently sold my TH-900s because the XS outdid them on everything.

May 30, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #12,272 of 12,992
I own the M-100. The bass isn't that good. Check out the Hifiman XS or Hifiman HE400 (original) with some bass boost. Oh lord it's so good.
In that we obviously disagree... I know both of those Hifiman models and like neither -- besides that I'd never buy any Hifiman model due to that fast model change and build quality problems like with the initial HE1000. I also know other planar magnetic models, and I think I just don't like how planar present bass.

Edit: I also have no use for open headphones...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #12,273 of 12,992
Anyone tried the Fostex TH610 out? was wondering if the bass strength on it was comparable with the TH900 or the v-moda LP2 that I'm familiar with.
Thinking about getting the 610 or a m1060c at some point but I do like some strong bass so not sure on the differences,
thanks

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #12,274 of 12,992
The TH610 is basically an E-Mu Teak with walnut cups. So most of what you read about the Teaks will apply to the 610

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #12,275 of 12,992
I own the M-100. The bass isn't that good. Check out the Hifiman XS or Hifiman HE400 (original) with some bass boost. Oh lord it's so good.
Try reducing the mid bass frequency on your M-100. ( 100 to 180 Hz) The texture and Timbre will significantly improve. Hard to beat. It will also stop the bass from bleeding into the mids and become more musical.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #12,276 of 12,992
Try reducing the mid bass frequency on your M-100. The texture and Timbre will significantly improve. Hard to beat.
Very good point.
My feeling is that the XL pads do quite exactly that, i.e. reduce midbass.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #12,278 of 12,992
Just chiming in to say that @AlwaysForward is accurate in his description of the VZR Model One. The hype is real and definitely worth a try. You will not be disappointed.
I’m so glad to hear that. I was wondering if any bass heads might give them a ride. Keep us posted on your thoughts as they break in! 😎

Pro tip: They’re ultra efficient and seem to like low gain settings on amps.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #12,279 of 12,992
Just chiming in to say that @AlwaysForward is accurate in his description of the VZR Model One. The hype is real and definitely worth a try. You will not be disappointed.
Seems to still be available only in the US...

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #12,280 of 12,992
Anyone tried the Fostex TH610 out? was wondering if the bass strength on it was comparable with the TH900 or the v-moda LP2 that I'm familiar with.
Thinking about getting the 610 or a m1060c at some point but I do like some strong bass so not sure on the differences,
thanks

Fostex TH610 with eq is bass heaven these and the denon D600 are really good you wont be disappointed with TH610 ive not tried the others though .

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #12,281 of 12,992
I also own the M-100 and I have to agree with @baunauf about the Edition XS. The bass is definitely much better on the Edition XS. Despite being open-backed, it can produce some face rattling bass with the Pro iCan bass boost. So far, it's my favorite presentation of bass, especially subbass, ever. I just recently sold my TH-900s because the XS outdid them on everything.

I don't mean to cause alarm but like I literally owned TH900 probably 3+ times and I never understood the people gushing on their bass.

There are a lot of headphones I would take above them for bass, not to mention the hard treble they can on occasion display.

Some planar headphones are real good in extension, like you say with your XS, especially sub bass.

My HE-500 is one of my favorites for bass articulation and extension.

Punch and visceral impact is typically better done with dynamics IMO but the 500 does it well too.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #12,282 of 12,992
Tell me how you like em!

I heard they're bass cannons
The HE-R9's definitely have a Lot of bass! But it is not a sharp bass like the Cascades. It is a little softer. Many people say it is more of an echo/reverb caused by the cup design. But it is a little addictive.
I wore them nightly for about a week. My favourite amp with them was the iFi Pro iCAN, but I could not use any bass boost or 3D sound effects. With some music the vocals sounded a little soft or fuzzy, but then I would land on something like Florence and the Machine and I would be blown away by the bass And the vocals!

Today I went back to my Elegia's (with Dekoni Stellia pads), plugged into the iFi and hit bass boost up to 20hz. Definitely a cleaner sound and much better isolation. But, they feel so bass light compared to the HE-R9's.:smile:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #12,283 of 12,992
The HE-R9's definitely have a Lot of bass! But it is not a sharp bass like the Cascades. It is a little softer. Many people say it is more of an echo/reverb caused by the cup design. But it is a little addictive.
I wore them nightly for about a week. My favourite amp with them was the iFi Pro iCAN, but I could not use any bass boost or 3D sound effects. With some music the vocals sounded a little soft or fuzzy, but then I would land on something like Florence and the Machine and I would be blown away by the bass And the vocals!

Today I went back to my Elegia's (with Dekoni Stellia pads), plugged into the iFi and hit bass boost up to 20hz. Definitely a cleaner sound and much better isolation. But, they feel so bass light compared to the HE-R9's.:smile:

This is tempting, darn it!

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #12,284 of 12,992
I don't mean to cause alarm but like I literally owned TH900 probably 3+ times and I never understood the people gushing on their bass.

There are a lot of headphones I would take above them for bass, not to mention the hard treble they can on occasion display.

Some planar headphones are real good in extension, like you say with your XS, especially sub bass.

My HE-500 is one of my favorites for bass articulation and extension.

Punch and visceral impact is typically better done with dynamics IMO but the 500 does it well too.
This is just about how I felt with every Fostex can I've heard. I even modded a few quite a bit. The bass didn't sound anything like what people were stating to my ears.

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #12,285 of 12,992
This is just about how I felt with every Fostex can I've heard. I even modded a few quite a bit. The bass didn't sound anything like what people were stating to my ears.

Yes! They are not for me and I agree they didn't match what people say about it being king of electronic etc.

And yes, for me I didn't love X00 either - to me those were loose and boomy sounding.

To me - I like an impactful, tight, and aggressive low end. The Fostex are always talked about for their bass but sorry I just can't get behind it personally.

I actually think the Sivga SV 021 is the way to go for wooden closed once I found them instead of the Fostex, similar type of sound to me with a warm and large sub bass emphasis but just $100, more comfortable with some amazing marshmallow pads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back