The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 6, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #12,256 of 12,970
Great point! Have you had a chance to try these? Would love to hear additional forum members chime in if they have!
I would also really like to hear more first hand opinions (not pseudo youtube reviews) about these headphones because I am seriously considering them (I won't buy them anyway until they are available in Europe)

May 6, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #12,257 of 12,970
Just for clarity, the 'acoustic lens' is not a marketing thing.
That part of the driver that covers the diaphragm is not just a protective layer with holes: itis critical in tuning and 'shaping' the sound of any and all dynamic drivers.
Hope that clears things up a bit.

I completely agree with you on all of these examples & that physics are the main thing. I also think that there’s a bit of a curveball in CrossWave’s technology around how it disperses the sounds more akin to real life than direct firing headphone drivers.

I think the question to ponder is “can you make a driver sound larger by changing how the air arrives at the ear”

My anecdotal experience is that these sound massive & have experience peers more akin to the 100mm LCD Drivers than even 50mm Dynamic comparisons.

It reminds me a bit of what Ultrasone does with their S-Logic, which also covers up part of the driver -- though I never especially liked the results of that.

It also reminds me of the pressure chamber of a horn-loaded speaker system. Horn-loaded speaker systems generally have incredible dynamics, but especially the design of the pressure chamber is quite hard.

May 6, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #12,258 of 12,970
I'll admit I am curious about the VZR, as well. But not $350 curious. Yikes. That's a hell of a gamble, and I'm not a gambling man.

May 6, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #12,259 of 12,970
I'll probably buy them at one point to check them out. But not now, a year or two who knows. No, I won't review them, I like to listen to music not to gossip about sounds/frequencies. Plus, I'm stuffed with what I already have, I don't need more, danke.

May 6, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #12,260 of 12,970
Great point! Have you had a chance to try these? Would love to hear additional forum members chime in if they have!
I would love to try them, but they are 'impossible' to buy outside of North America.
I'm very curious about their tuning and what kind of presentation they offer.

It reminds me a bit of what Ultrasone does with their S-Logic, which also covers up part of the driver -- though I never especially liked the results of that.

It also reminds me of the pressure chamber of a horn-loaded speaker system. Horn-loaded speaker systems generally have incredible dynamics, but especially the design of the pressure chamber is quite hard.
Agree, but it seems like it's taken a bit further than those concepts.
So far the commebts/reviews show correlation.

May 8, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #12,262 of 12,970
I think many audiophiles ideals are still rooted in a time of analog instruments (and as far as I know in former times not even most organs were that big to produce really deep bass except for a select few). Even with Jazz deep bass doesn't matter that much (though there are exceptions, and some Jazz bassists love their deep notes), but with modern electronica deep bass with interesting structure not even became possible, but even a focus point.

I fully understand that nobody needs their Mozart string quartets to rattle their bones. If it does, there certainly is something quite wrong. If, on the other hand, Prodigy doesn't move some serious air volume, there is also something not aligned with how things should be. I heard they once even cancelled a show due to volume restrictions...

Which directly leads me to the disconnection between product demos at shows and real world use cases... at shows modern electronic music tends to be ignored more or less completely. But I digress...
It's weird because audiophiles in the speaker world love their bass. I look at many freq response graphs of beloved headphones and the rolled off bass(sub bass) nearly silences a whole instrument section in modern music.

May 8, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #12,263 of 12,970
That’s what’s so crazy about the VZR. It’s equally next level with Deadmau5 & Norah Jones.

I’m definitely the speakers guy that loves his JL Audio Subs. I think it’s the spatial rendering that brings so much new definition, dimension and physicality to the sound direct firing headphones lack. It’s literally 2d vs 3d.

It’s still stereo, there’s no new DSP information. It’s just rendered better in a massive sphere like soundstage. Sound moves forward and back. Piano strings vibrating rendered with new dimension bring out the “I’m there” experience.

Bass slaps more realistically. A recent comment from a friend was “I’ve never heard such realistic drums in headphones before.” I’ve certainly thought the same thing.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #12,265 of 12,970
I'm using the V-mode LP2's these days, really nice strong bass, especially the midbass. Listenin with the K5 pro though have to put the volume up close to max on it with around 3/4 on my raspberry pi so I guess it can handle quite a few watts! Manage to get pulseaudio equalizer working on it finally, had some bugs at first but it works nice now and has around 30 bands that u can even cut any band to 0. Currently have the last few at 0 to cut the treble when listening to loud bass heavy tunes and of course the bass almost at the max, only isssue is theres no indicator of the db level like other equalizers.

May 21, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #12,266 of 12,970
Has anybody here tried the new HiFiman HE-R9's? I have read some good things and bought a set on sale this morning. Cheap enough to experiment. :ksc75smile:

May 21, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #12,267 of 12,970
The Campfire Audio Cascade hits like a freight train. Their Solaris IEM is similar. The Empire Ears Legend EVO also does amazing bass through dual subwoofers and a unique bone conduction system. Killer.

May 30, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #12,270 of 12,970
I *love* the M-100, which shares pads with the LP2. I've put XL pads on most of my M-100 sets, those pads are much more spacious and increase comfort quite a bit. You might want to give them a shot, they also fit the LP2.

https://www.v-moda.com/eu/en/products/xl-cushions

I'm also after low bass, midbass tends to scare me off because its giving me stress. The M-100 fits my taste very well -- I own 2 in white and 4 in black :wink:
I own the M-100. The bass isn't that good. Check out the Hifiman XS or Hifiman HE400 (original) with some bass boost. Oh lord it's so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back