The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jul 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,216 of 12,991
Very early impressions of Yamaha Pro 500's - they just landed with me a couple of hours ago.

Dear god, these are quality!

The hard carry case with carabiner and Yamaha branded carry handle is superb and inside there's a mesh compartment on top inner for cable storage - perfect and well thought out by Yamaha - really this whole package is dripping with quality :)

Beautifully put together and such attention to detail - 2 x flat tangle free cables, 1x short with 3 button remote and a much longer straight flat - both 3.5mm jack terminated - but by far the best quality of this type I've come across - they are noticeably more thicker than the norm.

Cans themselves are clearly modelled off beats by dre studio's - the original version - only on steroids - hi-gloss premium plastic and I'm guessing over the top of an aluminium frame - these puppies are h-e-a-v-y, but in a good way - the weight of quality.

Earpads go around my ears with ease and I don't need to adjust the headband from closed position at all, but I've zero issues with comfort.

As for the sound - I've listened so far only plugged directly into my iPad with EQ setting - bass boost and quick A to B with V-MODA M-100's, the Yamaha's mids and highs seem slightly more recessed, so it does sound like the M-100's are more detailed in comparison, but not that the Yamaha's are a lower quality sound in any way, just - different with stronger more emphasised bass for sure.

So, early on I've got to say I'm in awe of these beauties, you really feel spoilt and expectations exceeded considerably - which is always very nice to experience :cool:

Going to spend more time with these beasts and I'll drop some shots of them soon also, but this is a big delicious meal in front of me and I was raised not to rush my food - savour the flavour - and this is a kick ass bass steak in front of me - and the proof is in the tasting - lol :D

edit - pics below

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,217 of 12,991
  so which one u like the most out of all the ones u mentioned 

From the bassy options?

For "complete" sound quality as a whole among those mentioned, I would choose: Yamaha Pro 500 > V-Moda M100 > JVC SZx000
For bass impact/thump/presence: JVC SZx000 > V-Moda M100 > Yamaha Pro 500

From the bassy headphones I CURRENTLY have, I would order them for sound quality: Ultrasone Signature DJ > Denon D5000 > JVC HP-DX700 (I recently sold these though) > Perfect Sound D901 Dido > JVC SZ1000 > DonScorpio Drama

For bass impact/thump/presence: JVC SZ1000 > Ultrasone Signature DJ > JVC HP-DX700 (I recently sold these though) = Perfect Sound D901 Dido > Denon D5000 > DonScorpio Drama

(the Yamaha Pro 500 and the M100 would probably fill in the middle or so of the list above)

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,218 of 12,991
HD7DJ needs to be added to this thread :p

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,219 of 12,991

From the bassy options?

For "complete" sound quality as a whole among those mentioned, I would choose: Yamaha Pro 500 > V-Moda M100 > JVC SZx000

From the bassy headphones I CURRENTLY have, I would order them for sound quality: Ultrasone Signature DJ > Denon D5000 > JVC HP-DX700 (I recently sold these though) > Perfect Sound D901 Dido > JVC SZ1000 > DonScorpio Drama

For bass impact/thump/presence: JVC SZ1000 > Ultrasone Signature DJ > JVC HP-DX700 (I recently sold these though) = Perfect Sound D901 Dido > Denon D5000 > DonScorpio Drama

(the Yamaha Pro 500 and the M100 would probably fill in the middle or so of the list above)

in what way you find the yammaha  sounding better , and is the bass in Yamaha deep and punchy, I hope it does not have sharp mids and highs as you give them the preference in sound quality

also about the Ultrasone Signature DJ that are cheap compared to denon 5000 is it really better in sound quality

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,220 of 12,991
  in what way you find the yammaha  sounding better , and is the bass in Yamaha deep and punchy, I hope it does not have sharp mids and highs as you give them the preference in sound quality

Well, you have to take into consideration that when I bought the Yamaha's their cost was actually $300+. After a year+ it is now that we find them at good prices like $150 or so via Sales or via forums or via Amazon Warehouse, etc. The Pro 500s indeed go deep and they definitely have a hump on the mid-bass, so yes, they are punchy as well, BUT you are indeed looking for "warm" headphones and these are not really warm per se. In fact, from memory, some tracks could sound a bit harsh depending on their quality. So for YOUR preferences it would be either the M100, JVC SZs or other warmer headphones.

For more info, I have a review of the Pro 500s in my signature.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,221 of 12,991

From the bassy options?

what pads and amp do you use on the SZ1000?

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #1,222 of 12,991
I too have been looking for that Bass heavy Modiophile headphone, I had the Ultrasone pro 900 and sold those immediately. I still have my XB700's and just recently picked up the M100's.  So far the M100's are my favorite.  They surprisingly had similar sub bass that the XB700's have only the M100's are a lot punchier and not muddy so it doesn't drown out the mids and highs. the high's aren't ear piercing and the mids stand out really well to me.   

I like listening to my music extremely loud often and these have been able to handle it and not distort so that was a major + to me.   Im still wanting to test out the Yamaha's and I just ordered the JVC SZ2000's. I am hoping they can handle the extreme volumes like the M100's seem to be able to do.   When I find "The Ones" ill just sell all  the others :)

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,223 of 12,991

Fitted my spare Alpha Dogs pads on the SZ1000s... sound hasn't changed much but DEFINITELY recommended! Sub-bass seems to be a bit more elevated (listening to a Shiny Toy Guns remix of song Ricochet and these things are vibrating like crazy... and keep in mind that I DON'T EQ!!!! Just thought I throw it out there... ...). But the comfort level just went through the roof! (I'm pretty used to the Alpha pads so, YMMV).

I listened to the track and for the first 2:34 seconds I was thinking...audiophile sub-bass?
biggrin.gif

Nope. A 35Hz note is a 35Hz note. That track suddenly blows up with it. 
Good stuff. Those alpha dogs look like beasts.

2 guys in one day mentioning them... ...I'm getting them. (alpha dogs) If anyone in japan @Currawong
tongue.gif
 knows where I can get em in Japan I'd appreciate it. 

http://www.musicaacoustics.com/ possibly.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,224 of 12,991
from what i read i am leaning towards the jvc sz2000

i am just a little worried and want to dole check that the mids and highs are not shouty or sharp or irritating and that it has warm signature, as my chord hugo is mainly neutral dac/amp

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,225 of 12,991
Oh I forgot to mention the XL pads do actually help with Comfort and to me makes the bass seem even more punchy. If you ever get the M100's I would seriously recommend getting those pads.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,226 of 12,991
  what pads and amp do you use on the SZ1000?

Right now, Alpha Dogs pads.

i am just a little worried and want to dole check that the mids and highs are not shouty or sharp or irritating and that it has warm signature, as my chord hugo is mainly neutral dac/amp

No shouty nor sharp nothing on these...

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,227 of 12,991

You do realise that you need to pump up the bass EQ on the SZ2000 to discover its hidden bass from it's otherwise tame stock sound signature?

gelocks mention he experienced discomfort with the v-moda m-100 earpads - here's my experience with them - no issues whatsoever and I've just been using my newly arrived Yamaha Pro 500's for the past hour or so and the m-100's to me are a lot more comfortable that the Yamaha's in as much I find the m-100's have more room and air for my ears to not warm up as much as the Yamaha's otherwise comfy fit.

Confused?

Good - you shouldn't be.

Does this seem contradictory in any way?

Good.

Now you may get the idea that different pads, different cans all provide differing experience to varying degrees to different members.

Just understand, that we cannot serve you up your ideal can, only you can do that and you might go through a few different headphones before you land your preferred fit and sound.

This is all advice, and good advice from people who own or have owned the headphones they comment on, but it's ultimately your decision how to interpret all this info for yourself if as it sounds like - you don't have the convenience in auditioning any one of the headphones you've mentioned.

If that's the case, take your time, but understand that how you experience whatever headphone you decide upon, there's no guarantee advice given here on head-fi, in good faith, will necessarily translate to how you experience for yourself in person.

:wink:

Edit: Hey, I made a post yesterday on this thread regarding Sig Pro's - but it's vanished - poof - gone into thin air :eek:

Heads up people - we've got a thread poltergeist fooling around :D

If anyone finds my post lying around, be sure to let me know - thanks

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,228 of 12,991
I too have been looking for that Bass heavy Modiophile headphone, I had the Ultrasone pro 900 and sold those immediately. I still have my XB700's and just recently picked up the M100's.  So far the M100's are my favorite.  They surprisingly had similar sub bass that the XB700's have only the M100's are a lot punchier and not muddy so it doesn't drown out the mids and highs. the high's aren't ear piercing and the mids stand out really well to me.   

I like listening to my music extremely loud often and these have been able to handle it and not distort so that was a major + to me.   Im still wanting to test out the Yamaha's and I just ordered the JVC SZ2000's. I am hoping they can handle the extreme volumes like the M100's seem to be able to do.   When I find "The Ones" ill just sell all  the others :)

Hope the SZ2000's are your "one" dude - don't forget I rec'd them to you first but you went they way of the ULTRASONE Pro900's which weren't to your liking - lol, only joking :D

Just remember to EQ the bass to get head vibrations - don't know if you've an E17 which also let's you increase/decrease treble to your tastes which may be of assist also :wink:

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,229 of 12,991
Hope the SZ2000's are your "one" dude - don't forget I rec'd them to you first but you went they way of the ULTRASONE Pro900's which weren't to your liking - lol, only joking
biggrin.gif

Just remember to EQ the bass to get head vibrations - don't know if you've an E17 which also let's you increase/decrease treble to your tastes which may be of assist also
wink.gif

i have the chord hugo and use iPod touch as a player connected to chord so I guess i have to use the eq in the iPod touch i use equ pro app to play my music

some of my folks at the audeze lcd thread are convincing me that audeze has lots of bass and I think they are not taking it lightly that i am venturing form audeze to basshead territory

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,230 of 12,991
Hope the SZ2000's are your "one" dude - don't forget I rec'd them to you first but you went they way of the ULTRASONE Pro900's which weren't to your liking - lol, only joking
biggrin.gif

Just remember to EQ the bass to get head vibrations - don't know if you've an E17 which also let's you increase/decrease treble to your tastes which may be of assist also
wink.gif

lol yeah I should have listened. the "hype" of the ultrasone pro 900 pulled me in.  As far as an amp set up ive got the Schiit Mangi and an actual physical 9 band EQ that I use to boost the bass and mids and treble to my desired liking.. it seems to work really well and I can crank the bass up all the way with no distortion.  I wanted a good all arounder that was heavy with bass and amped and eq'd I do enjoy the M100's. I am very anxious to get the SZ2000's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back