The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 4, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #12,226 of 12,992
The VZR are definitely interesting but what else do you own for comparison?

It might be better explained if you can compare it to something thats more mainstream.

May 4, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #12,227 of 12,992
None taken. Yeah, I think they missed the boat on getting these into the hands of audiophile reviewers.

As we all know, specs don’t always mean outcome.

The divergent spec here is the acoustic lens and overall acoustic design.
Many people in the audiophile community will ignore them because of the gamer marketing, myself included.

If they offered a version that wasn’t set up for a microphone and all of the bS that comes along with that, so just a normal headphone connection on it, I’d be more inclined to check them out.

May 4, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #12,228 of 12,992
The VZR are definitely interesting but what else do you own for comparison?

It might be better explained if you can compare it to something thats more mainstream.
I had the LCD2-4 for about a year. I love the Utopia for its resolution and dynamic punch but the tuning is a bit bright leaning. I tend to prefer Audeze with Reveal for top to bottom Timbre. I’ve heard quite a few headphones at a local head-if meeting. I haven’t missed many at this point. ZMF, Senn, Hifiman

Practicing musician for 20 years.

My current stuff was hifi humble. Isine20 was my most resolving.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #12,229 of 12,992
Many people in the audiophile community will ignore them because of the gamer marketing, myself included.

If they offered a version that wasn’t set up for a microphone and all of the bS that comes along with that, so just a normal headphone connection on it, I’d be more inclined to check them out.
They actually have an inline mic in the cable for fallback use. I never use the boom mic.

May 4, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #12,230 of 12,992
My Sony MDR-Z1R hits pretty hard:L3000:

May 5, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #12,231 of 12,992
Actually my more interesting gear for the bass head convo is my speaker system

KEF LS50W mains
Two JL Audio E112s subs

I spent the money because I care about tight transients and no drop off at 20hz

I was eying the EE LX to be my mobile analog of that sonic experience. Was.

I am more than comfortable walking to the corner store with the VZR and my Quidelix. These are comfy, built like tanks, block sound and probably sound better than an IEM could ever hope.

May 5, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #12,232 of 12,992
Oh yeah my DJ headphones are AKG 371 & JBL club ones. I care very much about tuning and timbre. I've been chasing that live sound from my personal performance/recording experiences over the years. DJing is new, guitars and bands of all sorts were my youth.

Prior my speakers got me closest. These are closer to my speakers experience than any headphones and are tuned practically perfect. Best reference tuning I've encountered.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #12,233 of 12,992
Actually my more interesting gear for the bass head convo is my speaker system

KEF LS50W mains
Two JL Audio E112s subs

I spent the money because I care about tight transients and no drop off at 20hz

I was eying the EE LX to be my mobile analog of that sonic experience. Was.

I am more than comfortable walking to the corner store with the VZR and my Quidelix. These are comfy, built like tanks, block sound and probably sound better than an IEM could ever hope.
Ok thats hard to ignore.

Those JL subs are no joke.

How is the rest of the sound in that headphone?

May 5, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #12,234 of 12,992
Ok thats hard to ignore.

Those JL subs are no joke.

How is the rest of the sound in that headphone?
Post in thread 'VZR Model One'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vzr-model-one.961125/post-16930670

I've been trying to find the best way to describe it. The acoustic lens is just such a unique acoustic... Thing.

Check out the post linked above. The CTO/designer built the apple audio division and previous did mark levinson’s electronics. Prior was a radio rf eng.

IIRC siegfried linkwitz also started with radios and used his understanding of signals manipulation /propogation to creatively solve problems in the acoustics domain

So 2 legendary acoustics engineers started in radios and drove acoustics forward

The VZR founder has a skill set benefit from scaled production with quality at apple. And the Levinson electronics. He definitely sweat the details on these.

I’d compare the build quality to apple for sure. Obviously.

So what I’m saying is, that this guy achieved the goal of making headphones sound substantially more like speakers.

And nailed the best tuning perhaps ever, without DSP.

There are entirely new shades or dimensions rendered in the image. Call it lively, maybe it has “throw” or “pressurized the room”

🤷‍♂️ it’s impossible to describe in comparison with cans that fire directly into to your ear

May 5, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #12,236 of 12,992
I should probably caveat that the VZR is not about exaggerating bass. It may not be for people into that. It’s about huge impact across the range, tight transients, imaging & a perfect reference tuning down to 20hz without any bloat whatsoever.

They’re probably clean enough for a bass boost but I am not at all tempted to even experiment in that direction. A first.

May 5, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #12,239 of 12,992
I should probably caveat that the VZR is not about exaggerating bass. It may not be for people into that. It’s about huge impact across the range, tight transients, imaging & a perfect reference tuning down to 20hz without any bloat whatsoever.

They’re probably clean enough for a bass boost but I am not at all tempted to even experiment in that direction. A first.
All good and well but this topic is about exaggerating bass. How many DB's can you push the headphone in the lower regions. Would love to hear about that. And because it's 40mm I don't think they will do very well in this regard, but would love to see you prove us wrong. In this thread we want to shake our skull! 💀

May 5, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #12,240 of 12,992
They actually have an inline mic in the cable for fallback use. I never use the boom mic.
That’s just another problem. I’d want one with no mic whatsoever. One designed to use regular old headphone cables.

I’ve never wanted to use a microphone on a headphone and I don’t foresee ever wanting to do so in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back