The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Mar 22, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #12,196 of 12,993
I have to credit @OhMyGodPancakes with this idea, specifically we both have Oppo HA-1's his idea is to from an amp that can do headphone and pre-amp out at the same time, hookup line out to a powerful external subwoofer, so you can listen to your headphones and also have(low volume, just want to feel it a bit) the woofer going to compliment it.... We also both like Audeze headphones, and have 150W+ woofers so this is a killer combo, not to mention the HA-1 is magic!

Also I will add since the woofer is mainly for the physicality you don't need something crazy expensive, a powered one works fine, but you will also benefit from using a high quality dac/pre-amp anyway so there is a sound quality boost but the cheapest kind! Free, to me that is as quality as spending much more on a nicer woofer.
The 'old farts' on this forum have been using this old trick with the AKG K1000 - released 1989 :wink:
Personally I had fun combining my sub with my Sony VIP-1000, which is a similarly open-air design.

It's good to see the old tricks being revived and talked about.
Goes to show that the best ideas will be had over and over again.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #12,198 of 12,993
What if I wanted the softest “bloomiest” or widest sounding bass - any recommendations?

Stick cotton balls in the cups, it will make the base nice and soft and muffled.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #12,199 of 12,993
The VZR Model One has easily the best hifi bass I’ve ever heard from any headphones, including flagships. They nailed the whole “headphone that sounds like speakers” with their marvel of a transducer.

It’s a reference tuning that hits hard across all frequencies. Hifi Genre master & bass master. Overall the best most speakers like presentation with details and slam I’ve ever heard. The tuning is to die for.

Outstanding build and $ value for what you get.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #12,200 of 12,993
The VZR Model One has easily the best hifi bass I’ve ever heard from any headphones, including flagships. They nailed the whole “headphone that sounds like speakers” with their marvel of a transducer.

It’s a reference tuning that hits hard across all frequencies. Hifi Genre master & bass master. Overall the best most speakers like presentation with details and slam I’ve ever heard. The tuning is to die for.

Outstanding build and $ value for what you get.
Hardest hitting but also with amazing quality sound what I have heard would be Campfire Cascade, these are brutal with those berilium drivers.

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #12,202 of 12,993
A true basehead never stops looking for that brain shaking base. Bring mother nature's thunder to our skulls. In other words, find out what will kill us, then just back it off a little bit.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #12,203 of 12,993
Most impactful powerful bass I’ve heard from any headphone is the HE6se with a pad swap and a generous bass EQ (I use This EQ profile but with 12db of boost below 105hz).

It’s counterintuitive but the HE6se’s bass benefits from an imperfect seal or air gap. Swapping the Pali Pads for the Hifiman Round Velour pads, which are very stiff and thus don’t seal as well, combined with the EQ makes them slam like no other.

Plus, the diaphragm used is incredibly capable, these stay clean and precise even with that kind of boost. You do need to give them gobs of power though, something like a speaker amp or a Ragnarok 2 (which is what I use).

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #12,204 of 12,993
Hardest hitting but also with amazing quality sound what I have heard would be Campfire Cascade, these are brutal with those berilium drivers.
These VZR sound like reference speakers more than headphones. I’d be comfortable producing/mixing with them as a studio monitor. Flat bass down to 20hz and all the slam. Absolutely perfect FR. Transient details like I’ve never heard.

May 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #12,205 of 12,993
I went down to my local Guitar Center to try on the V-Moda LP2s and learned something new about myself...

Apparently, I have massive ears.

The cups on the LP2s felt more like on ear headphones opposed to over the ear. Maybe I am spoiled with the oversized plush pads on my Z7? Either way, I decided I didn't want to even bother buying them to try out at home. After almost ordering them online multiple times, I am glad I went to try them on first before buying.

I need to find a pair with large cups that also excels at playing down low (like >80hz). I started looking at the Campfire Cascades, but I keep seeing a lot of people mentioning how good the MID BASS is, which is fine and all, but I want a pair that specifically shines in the sub bass department..

I really love my Sony Z7s, but every so often I get that itch to get something 'better'...

May 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #12,206 of 12,993
I went down to my local Guitar Center to try on the V-Moda LP2s and learned something new about myself...

The cups on the LP2s felt more like on ear headphones opposed to over the ear. Maybe I am spoiled with the oversized plush pads on my Z7? Either way, I decided I didn't want to even bother buying them to try out at home. After almost ordering them online multiple times, I am glad I went to try them on first before buying.

I need to find a pair with large cups that also excels at playing down low (like >80hz). I started looking at the Campfire Cascades, but I keep seeing a lot of people mentioning how good the MID BASS is, which is fine and all, but I want a pair that specifically shines in the sub bass department..

I really love my Sony Z7s, but every so often I get that itch to get something 'better'...
That's what the z7 does best. I have the sony z7m2, i haven't heard anything else that produces sub bass better.

Others may have better texture, impact, detail but the sonys have the great sub bass response, most volume at the right frequencies, albeit a little sloppy.

May 3, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #12,207 of 12,993

I *love* the M-100, which shares pads with the LP2. I've put XL pads on most of my M-100 sets, those pads are much more spacious and increase comfort quite a bit. You might want to give them a shot, they also fit the LP2.

https://www.v-moda.com/eu/en/products/xl-cushions

I'm also after low bass, midbass tends to scare me off because its giving me stress. The M-100 fits my taste very well -- I own 2 in white and 4 in black :wink:

May 3, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #12,208 of 12,993
That's what the z7 does best. I have the sony z7m2, i haven't heard anything else that produces sub bass better.

Others may have better texture, impact, detail but the sonys have the great sub bass response, most volume at the right frequencies, albeit a little sloppy.

Yeah, that's the feeling I have been getting.. Probably has something to do with the massive 70mm drivers that allows them to play so well down low. I have been thinking about picking up a set of the m2's to compare to the originals since they have a larger magnet and a few other things borrowed from the Z1R.. A lot of the reviews say the bass is a little more tame out of the box, but I wonder if they EQ any better than the original Z7s..

May 3, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #12,209 of 12,993
I *love* the M-100, which shares pads with the LP2. I've put XL pads on most of my M-100 sets, those pads are much more spacious and increase comfort quite a bit. You might want to give them a shot, they also fit the LP2.

https://www.v-moda.com/eu/en/products/xl-cushions

I'm also after low bass, midbass tends to scare me off because its giving me stress. The M-100 fits my taste very well -- I own 2 in white and 4 in black :wink:

Yeah, the XL pad idea ran through my head as I was trying them on, but can they really be THAT much bigger? Since you have the XL pads, would you mind measuring the height and width of the opening on the XL pads? It would be even better if you still have to original pads to compare them to. I see that they are 20% larger, but what does that translate into actual inches or mm? I am not sure my huge dumbo ears will fit.. :slight_frown:

May 4, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #12,210 of 12,993
If anyone has $350 to yeet towards truly brain shaking reference tuned bass performance I cannot recommend the VZR enough. It’s simply the best tuned and most powerful sound I’ve ever heard from a headphone.

You know how speakers slap and have throw? Because of the Acoustic Lens technology, it’s the first time headphones have actually sounded like speakers IMHO. Like a reference studio room on your skull.

There’s a thread on ASR where another user said that the VZR bass is better than his LCD2. I agree, it’s a bass performance without a peer.

Whoever runs the top recommendation rankings on this thread should try these. I’m pretty confident they’d be quick to top the lists.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back