The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 29, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #7,891 of 12,991
The biggest difference that i notice about the sound, excepted for the obvious more bass on the V-Moda, is that the sound from the V-Moda sounds way less clear. I'm not sure how to properly explain it but it sounds kinda like i'm in an echo chamber or a cavern when i use it. So my question was : Does more bass in headphones necessarily mean a more "cavernous" sound ? Is it a property of the bass to sound like that ? It's very pleasant for some styles of music, but for watching movies for example, it tends to eat the vocals and dialogs a little bit.  
Should i forget all over the bassy headphones to watch movies ? They still seems to me to be the only ones that can deliver this kind of punchy feeling on some scenes, specially the action ones, but it apparently comes at the cost of some audio quality, or at least it modifies the sound for a good deal.

Not at all. The VModa is tuned to have that kind of sound and if you don't like it I suggest you return it. A lot of top 10 list headphones, even the sz1000, sounds really clear even without any EQ. However, do you like how much treble the dt990 has? it also has a thin sound compared to most basshead headphones.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #7,892 of 12,991
Thanks for your answer.

Indeed i'm satisfied with the bass, but i don't really like that "cavernous sound" the V-Moda delivers when it comes to watching movies. I saw the top 10 list in this thread, what headphones amongst thoses would you recommend me with powerfull bass but still a clear sound to watch movies ? Something over the ear preferably, i had comfort issues with the V-Moda that doesn't cover my ears completely and hurts after a short amount of time. 

I use a Schiit stack to power my headphones if it can be an useful information for that choice.

About the DT990, i'm not annoyed by the treble, but i feel it's not enough bass to fit my tastes.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #7,893 of 12,991
Thanks for your answer.

Indeed i'm satisfied with the bass, but i don't really like that "cavernous sound" the V-Moda delivers when it comes to watching movies. I saw the top 10 list in this thread, what headphones amongst thoses would you recommend me with powerfull bass but still a clear sound to watch movies ? Something over the ear preferably, i had comfort issues with the V-Moda that doesn't cover my ears completely and hurts after a short amount of time. 

I use a Schiit stack to power my headphones if it can be an useful information for that choice.

About the DT990, i'm not annoyed by the treble, but i feel it's not enough bass to fit my tastes.

I suggest you try the thx00/th600. Its both basshead and audiophile.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7,894 of 12,991

Thanks for your answer.

I suggest you try the thx00/th600. Its both basshead and audiophile.

Yes that Denon/Fostex/Massdrop/EMU line is basshead & audiophile with a excellent soundstage. Best of almost all worlds - music, movies, games... u name it.

I have the SZ1000, had the V-moda - didnt like it as much - have M50x, Takstar, some other super bass stuff...
The above ones stand out in every way.

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #7,899 of 12,991
  Thanks ! Just a last question : is the difference between the TH600 and the massdrop X00 purely cosmetic, or do they differ soundwise ?

Well apparently, they do sound different, and despite the fact that the retail for TH600 is higher, they say the X00 sounds a bit smoother overall. The drivers on the X00 may be similar and fast (check magnetic flux); they both have flux over 1 tesla, but the X00 may have it a bit higher.

Still, it's the tuning that matters more here, and the ear cups on those X00 are wooden (depending on the options, they're ebony, mahogany, purpleheart or rosewood) whereas the ones on the TH600 I think are plastic (correction: maybe die-cast magnesium alloy. not sure).

Moreover, if u cudnt get any X00 during the MassDrops, any pre-owned pair will go for over $400 at the LEAST. IF... IF you can find one at $400, that will still be better than the TH600. Otherwise, this deal that ur getting looks reasonable. You may want to get wooden cups later to make em sound a bit better. Again, cups may go for $50 to $500 [ :frowning2: ] depending on the options.

Either find an X00 for like $400 (if more, they may just be overcharging you), but if it's hard to grab, which is very true as people love the bsatards, may as well get this TH600. And change cups later, maybe.

IF you think u can spend around $500 (like myself here), you can get a brand new EMU Teak/Ebony/Rosewood. If you can, do try. You'll get the best option for your buck... Maybe even better off than having a TH900 for per dollar performance.

In essence, the TH600 try to compete with the legendary AH-DA5000s. The X00 probably outsmart the AH-DA5000s and aim for the AH-DA7000s. The EMU are probably almost... almost as good as the AH-DA7000 that are like antiques now, going for around a 1000 bucks, US.

Any guy who has an X00 and an EMU, will dump his X00 girl for the more hotter EMU, 99% of the time.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #7,901 of 12,991

Thanks. Will those perform better than the Foster TH600 in the areas that interest me, bass and sound clarity for movies mainly ?

yes the x00 and 600 are tuned differently.  I haven't tried the x00 yet but the 600 was a little to sibilant for my taste and the pads SUCK.

If you can, find a set of mahogany x00, its going to be your best bang for your buck.  They can be had for around 350

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #7,902 of 12,991
Hey,

So i started exploring my options about a few of the headphones we discussed. As i said i can get a pair of new TH 600 for 350 dollars. For the TX 00 it's much more complicated as i'm not in America and will be hit strong by import taxes. I will probably have to pay around 520 dollars for a pair of used TX 00. What do you think ? Does it worth that amount of extra money or should i stick with the TH 600 ?

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #7,903 of 12,991
  Hey,

So i started exploring my options about a few of the headphones we discussed. As i said i can get a pair of new TH 600 for 350 dollars. For the TX 00 it's much more complicated as i'm not in America and will be hit strong by import taxes. I will probably have to pay around 520 dollars for a pair of used TX 00. What do you think ? Does it worth that amount of extra money or should i stick with the TH 600 ?

Thanks.

I wouldn't pay more than 400 for any of the variation.  if the best option is the th600 for 350 then I would just go for those.  I think the EMU is in europe? maybe you can find a deal on those.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #7,904 of 12,991

I wouldn't pay more than 400 for any of the variation.  if the best option is the th600 for 350 then I would just go for those.  I think the EMU is in europe? maybe you can find a deal on those.

From what i understand emu is a company from Singapore, but now they're in partnership with Creative, so maybe there's no need to import them in Europe, and so avoid custom taxes, i wouldn't know. But AT Khan told me a lot of good things about the EMU, specially in the areas that interests me (powerful bass while keeping a good clarity, mainly will be used to watch movies), so now i have to say i'm really torn beetween them and the Foster's ! Hehe :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back