The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #7,861 of 12,993
  Look for an Parasound Zamp.  The V.3 version sounds really good.  They can be had for $150 used.  I used the V.3 at home and the V.1 at work.  The one at work I recently swapped out all the caps and put a switch that bypassed the resistors to the headphone output.  Enough power to damage your eardrums with bass pressure.  

This is a Uber vs Parasound.  Which one do you prefer?

Dang dude I thought these were a lot more..... i might be getting one today, if I find one
eek.gif

edit: Holy crap there's three for sale in my city right now! Going to get one now and blaming you entirely @snellemin... :D

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #7,863 of 12,993
  The Bay site has a few.  

Yup, thanks bro, noticed one of the Bay sellers is just one town over for me so I grabbed one and am asking if I can go pick it up from him tonight instead of paying $12 to ship it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know you did mods to the V1 but is your V3 stock? I do have some opamps on the way too :D

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #7,865 of 12,993

Yup, thanks bro, noticed one of the Bay sellers is just one town over for me so I grabbed one and am asking if I can go pick it up from him tonight instead of paying $12 to ship it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I know you did mods to the V1 but is your V3 stock? I do have some opamps on the way too :D

The V.3 is stock.  There is no need for upgrades in that thing.  I run my headphones out of the speaker output if I need to feel/hear the really low subbass with the JVC's.  It's also the amp that makes my Hifiman 400i acceptable in the subbass department, straight out of the speaker output.  At times I still use the resistor box for current limitation.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #7,866 of 12,993
Look for an Parasound Zamp.  The V.3 version sounds really good.  They can be had for $150 used.  I used the V.3 at home and the V.1 at work.  The one at work I recently swapped out all the caps and put a switch that bypassed the resistors to the headphone output.  Enough power to damage your eardrums with bass pressure.  

This is a Uber vs Parasound.  Which one do you prefer?

You are the best.

My desktop receiver just took a dump and my vintage is to big and heavy to keep on my desk.

This thing has preouts for my sub too :)

FTMFW

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #7,868 of 12,993
I keep both around. The 1k has less impact but clearer kicks on high speed & hectic electronic (terrordrome/thunderdome type stuff). 2k still gets 90%+ the use. Also, my zAmp is paid for and on the way. I'm gonna set up my Alesis monitor ones with it too.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7,869 of 12,993
So, what's the specs on the headphone out relative to the speaker out of the Vamp? You mentioned something about a resistor? I don't have any speakers and don't ever plan on having any.

Say, couldn't I just find any random speaker amp/receiver and hook up my headphones to the speaker posts/outputs with an adapter? 16 ohms isn't a huge stone's throw from the typical speaker resistance. If all I'm looking for is more power, using the headphone jack is just going to result in having less power, right?

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #7,870 of 12,993
Amp nerds:

There is something really good about the line of gain buffer op-amp used in the Cayin C5... it uses an OPA132, but I got some  OPA2132PA (higher power rating than normal OPA2132) for my portable amp with socketed opamps. Replaced the gain opamp NE5532 with the OPA2132PA and shocked at how much harder the JVC rumbles now - now it gets the edge over the C5 imo, just because overall sound & extra detail. less soundstage than the C5 but the amount of detail down low is something I have never heard from anything except quad 15's in my face.
 It has a more forward and aggressive character than the C5 and is closer to the sound of using my vintage Technics headphone output now.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #7,871 of 12,993
  Amp nerds:

There is something really good about the line of gain buffer op-amp used in the Cayin C5... it uses an OPA132, but I got some  OPA2132PA (higher power rating than normal OPA2132)

Who says so? The data sheet shows that the chips are 100% identical to the non-PA. The only difference is that the PA version has a higher input offset error (means less good/selected). The chip itself is a medium/normal line driver and not rail to rail, so I wonder how it can be so much better.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #7,872 of 12,993
Who says so? The data sheet shows that the chips are 100% identical to the non-PA. The only difference is that the PA version has a higher input offset error (means less good/selected). The chip itself is a medium/normal line driver and not rail to rail, so I wonder how it can be so much better.

I checked and you are correct, i mis remembered what the difference in it and the non PA models was. Definitely a different character than the opamp it replaced, with better deep definition, i am finding.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #7,873 of 12,993
This is my final revision of my EQ for the S2K. I think I'm good for messing with it for now, at least until I get different source equipment.

It's just so good. The tonal balance is about as good as I can imagine it getting for such a bass heavy sound.

Someone else use it with their Equalizer APO / PEACE setup and tell me what you think. I haven't had anyone else listen to my setup yet.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #7,875 of 12,993
Hey, Jason Stoddard from Schiit has some info for you, straight out of his book I'm reading.

Page 107, http://lucasbosch.de/schiit/jason-stoddard-shiit-happened-dark-lblb.pdf:

On Power Ratings.

Okay, please let me vent about this one thing. Power. Ratings. Are. Done. In. RMS. Per. Channel.

You do not

(a) rate at peak power,
(b) add power output together for both channels,
(c) use an artificially low load impedance to make the output look higher.

Or, well, you shouldn’t, but some do. Maybe I should re-rate our stuff at 16 Ω—then you can brag to your friends about your 2.5 W Magni or 10 W Lyr. Bottom line: it’s still the same amp.

A Cayin C5 is not a substitute for a desktop amplifier. Even if you swap out the op-amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back