The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 4, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #7,741 of 12,992

Hahahah! Ouch!

On the softer side, I've always been curious (and skeptical at the same time) of the Ultrasone line-up. If only people could tell me what all the buzz is about.

This thread was built on "show me".

Proudest moment:
 A member who was here since the site started or about 10 years roughly made his first and probably only comment ever in that 10 year span to say how nice it was to see a thread built on more than words and graphs.
The videos are the thread and everything else is gilding the lily. Love we got a large community with well over a 1/2 a milly of views but at the end of the day this is the show me thread. I'd love to see the 900 video. I had it briefly and I was distorting and almost blowing the driver trying to do a vid. Great for EDM and Trance so they say but that shield and ear safety design is no good for hard core bassheads.

If somebody did do a Wiz vid and it was impressive i would eat my words with a smile.
Bass is God around here.
I am just a servant.

Amen to that, BadBrother. Amen to that.

Yes, things should be put to the test. Actually, I'm always confused and just stare at the prices and the (somewhat) endorsement of the Ultrasones. But I just then saw Tyll's video of the Ultrasone Edition 8. And as a star flagship, and a real bank-buster for the money, I get the worst vibes watching his face where he expected audiophile quality. So yes, it does put doubts in my head whether any of their cans actually achieve their intended purposes in their respective categories or not. Still, gonna stick around and study this company and it's products a bit more. And yeah, S-Logic may not be quite the thing for bassheadism. Again, I could be wrong, but the mounting method, as you say, as well as the driver dimensions do raise some questions.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #7,742 of 12,992
Thing is, there is such thing as an "audiophile" basshead can... and that's where Ultrasone basically falls under. Of course, it's an oxymoron, if it's bass tilted then the term "audiophile", IMO, should not really be used (LOL).  The thing is that you can have a headphone that produces decent sound with good bass response and hit without the need for EQ'ing.

For example, and I've said it a hundred times, if I'm not using EQ or amps and whatnot, I WOULD NEVER USE A SZx000 headphone!!! Clarity and retrieval is low, mids are syrupy, it basically sounds like a warm-ish mid-centric can. I would take the Denon D5000s, Fostex THxxx, etc. etc. over the king. I have the Ultrasone Signature DJ which I would also choose before any of those. Again, all of these mentioned are bass tilted, but with improved clarity, retrieval, good U-shape sound that is pleasing with most if not all music genres.

But, when you add EQ for the whole purpose of going for the EXTREME BASS, no doubt... Ultrasone falls way down along with most others.

So no, the Ultrasones are not really EXTREME basshead material. But are they bass-tilted/basshead cans? Most of their line is... Hope that helps. :)

I will probably get the new 900i Pro... just for the heck of it... :wink:

Thanks.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #7,743 of 12,992
  Thing is, there is such thing as an "audiophile" basshead can... and that's where Ultrasone basically falls under. Of course, it's an oxymoron, if it's bass tilted then the term "audiophile", IMO, should not really be used (LOL).  The thing is that you can have a headphone that produces decent sound with good bass response and hit without the need for EQ'ing.

For example, and I've said it a hundred times, if I'm not using EQ or amps and whatnot, I WOULD NEVER USE A SZx000 headphone!!! Clarity and retrieval is low, mids are syrupy, it basically sounds like a warm-ish mid-centric can. I would take the Denon D5000s, Fostex THxxx, etc. etc. over the king. I have the Ultrasone Signature DJ which I would also choose before any of those. Again, all of these mentioned are bass tilted, but with improved clarity, retrieval, good U-shape sound that is pleasing with most if not all music genres.

But, when you add EQ for the whole purpose of going for the EXTREME BASS, no doubt... Ultrasone falls way down along with most others.

So no, the Ultrasones are not really EXTREME basshead material. But are they bass-tilted/basshead cans? Most of their line is... Hope that helps. :)

I will probably get the new 900i Pro... just for the heck of it... :wink:

Thanks.

I agree with you. Without argument, I do.

I think Denon/Fostex/EMU are those "audiophile" basshead cans that you talk about - for me anyhow. And I don't EQ them. They're just right at flat - though some amping, depending on stuff. Though these 25 Ohms are pretty darn efficient anyhow.

But I'd like to share something here about EQuing - I always UNDER EQ. I never choose ROCK or POP or SOFT or stuff. I just always make a U or V curve out of my eq (always under the EQ line, and never over). That most of the times tames the mids for me, making them less upfront and fatiguing, and I also bring down the mid-bass stuff. If I need to, I also lower the highs.  And yes, I have to adjust the HA-SZ1000 too, there.

Second, I never add bass. Bass +4 dB, +6 dB? Never. Not on my fiiO. Not on my other amps. I just raise or lower the volume to comfortable levels. That's all. And yes, indeed, it will defeat the purpose if u add bass and stuff.

But yes, there are some cans that can take the extra topping, and some can't. So I think HawaiiBadBoy does that - in a way he measures which cans can take that beating.

In general, I am in agreement with you, and yeah, I'd probably need to check what those Ultrasones sound like... in my own time, if there is any arrangement thereto.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #7,744 of 12,992
Holy $H!t........ VModa is not my type of headphone. Just sign up for returning it!

Not to mention the shallowpad which can be better with XL, but the bass is not there.... Like it is not well constructed for the price.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #7,745 of 12,992

I agree with you. Without argument, I do.

I think Denon/Fostex/EMU are those "audiophile" basshead cans that you talk about - for me anyhow. And I don't EQ them. They're just right at flat - though some amping, depending on stuff. Though these 25 Ohms are pretty darn efficient anyhow.

But I'd like to share something here about EQuing - I always UNDER EQ. I never choose ROCK or POP or SOFT or stuff. I just always make a U or V curve out of my eq (always under the EQ line, and never over). That most of the times tames the mids for me, making them less upfront and fatiguing, and I also bring down the mid-bass stuff. If I need to, I also lower the highs.  And yes, I have to adjust the HA-SZ1000 too, there.

Second, I never add bass. Bass +4 dB, +6 dB? Never. Not on my fiiO. Not on my other amps. I just raise or lower the volume to comfortable levels. That's all. And yes, indeed, it will defeat the purpose if u add bass and stuff.

But yes, there are some cans that can take the extra topping, and some can't. So I think HawaiiBadBoy does that - in a way he measures which cans can take that beating.

In general, I am in agreement with you, and yeah, I'd probably need to check what those Ultrasones sound like... in my own time, if there is any arrangement thereto.

Ive had Ultrasone Pro900, what I'd say, damn that can is nothing without AMP. I connected it with phone and it sounds like an overall headphone, with some EQs, the bass are more presence. Add with Fiio bass boosted, damn that bass thumping like hell.

The problem here is..... the highs are sibilant and the mids are soooo recessed to me. I end up returning it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #7,746 of 12,992
Guys, anyone of u using V Moda wireless? mine that I received today cant event handle "on my level" sub bass, the left driver tingling. Is it true?

Will return it to amazon soon. Disappointed 

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #7,747 of 12,992
  Guys, anyone of u using V Moda wireless? mine that I received today cant event handle "on my level" sub bass, the left driver tingling. Is it true?

Will return it to amazon soon. Disappointed 

Seems the best BT headphone for bassheads is the ws99bt.
Thanks for the feedback on the Moda. Will waive future inquiries away from it
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #7,748 of 12,992
Seems the best BT headphone for bassheads is the ws99bt.
Thanks for the feedback on the Moda. Will waive future inquiries away from it:beerchug:

Thanks! I do really need anyone who has experience on this. I believe mine is defected or broken, some bass boomy and tingling. Very sad

One more, thanks for that recommendation, i dont even know there is basshead bt headphone rather than praised vmoda wireless

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #7,751 of 12,992

I doubt it.
The Z7 is not a basshead unit and this Z1R has the same diaphragm and a magnesium dome. Sony should release another P.E.T Mylar driver. It was the best. MA 900 destroys the Z7 at everything it was trying to achieve (not basshead)

I was asking as i've heard in the camjam video that the Z1R has a better bass extension and can go lower. Thanks for the reply. I've ordered another SZ2000 finally. But still curious about what's new :). I can't wait to receive the kannons as well hoping it will give clear sound. It's too bad the ATH WS1100 can't doesn't reproduce the extreme low frequency cause it was close to the type of sound I love. I'm ready to put more than 500 bucks in a headphones only if it has same bass and sensitivity than SZ2000 with the clarity and that goes along with it

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,752 of 12,992

I doubt it.
The Z7 is not a basshead unit and this Z1R has the same diaphragm and a magnesium dome. Sony should release another P.E.T Mylar driver. It was the best. MA 900 destroys the Z7 at everything it was trying to achieve (not basshead)

I was asking as i've heard in the camjam video that the Z1R has a better bass extension and can go lower. Thanks for the reply. I've ordered another SZ2000 finally. But still curious about what's new :). I can't wait to receive the kannons as well hoping it will give clear sound. It's too bad the ATH WS1100 can't doesn't reproduce the extreme low frequency cause it was close to the type of sound I love. I'm ready to put more than 500 bucks in a headphones only if it has same bass and sensitivity than SZ2000 with the clarity and that goes along with it

EMU Teak.

I have both - SZ1000 and EMU Ebony. Trust me bro.

Oct 6, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #7,754 of 12,992

EMU Teak.

I have both - SZ1000 and EMU Ebony. Trust me bro.

sorry I don't understand (French speaker). What do you mean ?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th#yvzEDyiBDUwDjWJc.97

Look for the EMU Teak cans in this comparison review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back