The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3,496 of 12,992
If you want clarity and bass, eq or you'd probably have to jump up to th600's.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,497 of 12,992
I know what you mean. I'm also trying to get rid of them by selling them wherever I can, but no bites so far
frown.gif
In the meantime I take them out sometimes, but it's disappointing to me. I can see how others love them, but they're just not for me... I feeling I know too well. I just want clear and forward mids, decent enough highs, and slamming bass when it's needed. The main problem I have with the 2k's is that it just sounds too recessed. It sounds muffled to me, like everything sounds dead and the mids and highs don't have any emphasis or sound lively. I don't listen to rock, jazz, or other genres based around mids and highs. But the electronic music I listen to has plenty of mids and highs, along with lots of bass.
I want something where everything sounds alive and clear, but when the bass comes in, it just shakes your head like the SZ2K's.
It's that an unrealistic thing I'm looking for? I know it can be done with home audio because you can build a system depending on what sound qualities you want, but is there a set of headphones that meet what I want?

I certainly don't disagree with you.  I'll be honest.  Yes, I'm playing the He!! out of my SZ2000.  If I have had headphones on in the last 3 weeks, it's been the SZ2000s unless I was doing a direct comparison to find sweet spots.  Oddly-enough, I find that I love listening to old songs I haven't listened to in years more on the SZ2000s than every day classical, rock, or blues.  Electronica and Rap are a lock for the SZ2000, but there are contemporary and "world/folk-type music" that I can't let go of my HD-650s for.

In short for me:
  1. Unamped Flat EQ = HD650s
  2. Unamped Raised Mids/Vocals = SZ2000s
  3. Amped Flat EQ = Depends on the recording and my mood can go either way
  4. Amped Raised BASS (60Hz or more) = SZ2000s no contest.  The things eat amperage like it's nobody's business and translate all that power into skull-thumping "WHUMPS" when you need it.

Shibe,

I know I've mentioned them to you before, but I really think you might like the Photive PH-BTX6 headphones.  No, they don't have as wide a soundstage as the SZ2000s,  (The SZ2000s surprised me with their soundstage width, quite frankly.) but the BTX6 have good mids, vocals, and the bass can bring maybe 80% of what I get out of the SZ2000 when amped. (Certainly more "visceral" BASS than my HD650s, Bass Freqs, or Porta Pros)  They're cheap, Do nice BASS straight from an iPhone/iPad/iPod/Android Phone, Have nice mids, and double as Bluetooth on-ears.  (Actually they are primarily marketed as Bluetooth headphones, but I almost always use them corded now!

Best of luck no matter what you decide!

Ken N.

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #3,498 of 12,992
  you should share your settings!

Lowband gain0dB
Mid1 band gain-15dB
Mid 2 band gain12dB
Hi band gain9dB
Low band cut off40Hz
Low band slope Q0.65 
Mid1 band center freq850Hz
Mid 1 band width Octaves2 
Mid 2 band center freq1650Hz
Mid 2 band width Octaves2.2 
Hi band cut off20000Hz
Hi band slope Q0.05 

This is for a 4-band PEQ, from Neutron MP, and basically corresponds to the graph I posted earlier.  I got this after some noodling, so you might tweak it better or to your own taste, but this DEFINITELY night and day from un-EQd sound. Try it, and post what you think...

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #3,499 of 12,992
Just wanted to share another bass song. Its a really fun one cuz you just wait for the deep bass drop throughout the song. Sounds meh and then BOOM and then mehhh and then BOOM. First deep bass drops at the 1:00 minute mark. I am really loving my SZ2000. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3pU-dLok4

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #3,500 of 12,992

Lowband gain0dB
Mid1 band gain-15dB
Mid 2 band gain12dB
Hi band gain9dB
Low band cut off40Hz
Low band slope Q0.65 
Mid1 band center freq850Hz
Mid 1 band width Octaves2 
Mid 2 band center freq1650Hz
Mid 2 band width Octaves2.2 
Hi band cut off20000Hz
Hi band slope Q0.05 

This is for a 4-band PEQ, from Neutron MP, and basically corresponds to the graph I posted earlier.  I got this after some noodling, so you might tweak it better or to your own taste, but this DEFINITELY night and day from un-EQd sound. Try it, and post what you think...

Nice!
For folks who don't wanna go bass crazy that looks nice.

Shibe,
I have X5 vids on the YT channel and I know headphones as well as anyone and have tried more cans  than all but a handful on this site. The cans are eq friendly and I just bought a

Cayin C5....after buying a X5

Not buying new cans...worth noting since I live close to headphone superstores.

It ain't for you but it does more than they are doing for you....and that's on you.
Pre-tuned cans like the Photive mentioned above might make you a happy dude. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,501 of 12,992
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Well I guess the SZ2000's just aren't for me completely, like always. I guess I need to drop some serious cash to get exactly what I want, but I'll check out the recommendations I got. For now, I'm taking a break from the HeadFi game, I've spent too much lately and especially on headphones and earphones. I'm decently happy with what I have now. I usually don't use full size headphones anyways, so I'll just wait until I really have money again to get back into cans. For now, I might have a job lined up as an entry to my career path and I have my sights on getting a new (new to me, but technically will be used :D) car. I'll still try to be active here and keep up, but I'll be taking a step back for a while. Still have my SZ2000's for sale, but now reducing the price.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #3,506 of 12,992
There'd better be a full review by the time I wake up in the morning, you effin' tease!

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,507 of 12,992

​

​

On May 10th 2014 this thread began a series of posts (around page 30 on this thread)....

We now look 200,000 views in the face.

200,000 my basshead brothers.

It has been a success beyond my imagination and will very soon become the largest basshead thread that has ever been on this site ever. If the last 100,000 is any indication it will be long before summer and it heat rolls on us that this thread climbs to the top and plants a flag higher than there has ever been.

Your sense of ownership and self patrol has made this what it is. Keep it real.
Keep it really inside the lines of the site rules or head off to PM. This thread has become a beast that is bigger than me or you or us so never put it in harms way.
On May 10th me and cb3723 went on a tirade of awesomeness that is the highpoint of my Head-fi existence.

I am a Contributor without a title as I via you have helped this site and they in return have let us be free. Never let a fool rule. Flag a troll never engage them,

You run this thread. I am the OP but without you there need be no me.

We don't have a little spot on the web my brothers.....we got a big ******* sandbox....enjoy but play nice and trust me when I say it wasn't always this way. Let's makes it stays!!

ExtremeBass thread mother****ers!! KachaaaaaBOOOM!!!
 ​

​

​

Although I'm pretty new here this is BY FAR the best Basshead thread*/communitiy - keep up the great work guys and hawaiibadboy!!!!

BTW - how's the bass of the all new Sony flagship MDR_Z7? does their bass surpass the xb1000 both have a massive 70mm driver..
I have Z7 on their way..

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,508 of 12,992

Although I'm pretty new here this is BY FAR the best Basshead thread*/communitiy - keep up the great work guys and hawaiibadboy!!!!

BTW - how's the bass of the all new Sony flagship MDR_Z7? does their bass surpass the xb1000 both have a massive 70mm driver..
I have Z7 on their way..

Thank you bro!
@Oregonian is a respected Head-Fi member and happy Z7 owner. I'd go check their thread or contact him for questions. I demo'd em' but it's not like owning them which he does among other bass pounding headphones.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #3,509 of 12,992
On the books for tonight's activities is my wife (who is awesome) is going to do the blindfolded "spouse test" between the:

• Sennheiser RS-180s
  • Sennheiser HD-650s. (Her named "current favorite")
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Which she always swipes to sneak a listen to)
  • Koss Porta Pros (pleather ear pad modded)
  • JVC SZ2000s (Which she's heard, but unamped, and never in "BASS BEAST-MODE")

THIS should be fun! I'm thinking of having a hidden camera so I can catch the expression on her face when..... Tick-tick-BOOM kicks off! LOL

No, it doesn't take much to amuse me....

I'm already on the hook for a pair of Photives and PortaPros for her birthday, I guess tonight will let me know if there is a change to her birthday wish-list.

It's so cool that she enjoys this stuff more than jewelry or boring crap! So yeah, I'm pretty happy right about now. BASS is the common ground between me with my low-maintenance sensibilities, and her with her Housewives of Orange County background. I'm just glad that she never acted like those idiots. (Nice to look at, but only if the volume is MUTED!) LOL

I'll let you know how it goes.

Any bets on if the spouse test will retain it's current champion, the Sennheiser HD-650s, or will the JVC SZ2000s supplant the HD-650s at the pinnacle of headphone Nirvana in our household? :smile:

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,510 of 12,992
On the books for tonight's activities is my wife (who is awesome) is going to do the blindfolded "spouse test" between the:

• Sennheiser RS-180s
  • Sennheiser HD-650s. (Her named "current favorite")
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Which she always swipes to sneak a listen to)
  • Koss Porta Pros (pleather ear pad modded)
  • JVC SZ2000s (Which she's heard, but unamped, and never in "BASS BEAST-MODE")

THIS should be fun! I'm thinking of having a hidden camera so I can catch the expression on her face when..... Tick-tick-BOOM kicks off! LOL

No, it doesn't take much to amuse me....

I'm already on the hook for a pair of Photives and PortaPros for her birthday, I guess tonight will let me know if there is a change to her birthday wish-list.

It's so cool that she enjoys this stuff more than jewelry or boring crap! So yeah, I'm pretty happy right about now. BASS is the common ground between me with my low-maintenance sensibilities, and her with her Housewives of Orange County background. I'm just glad that she never acted like those idiots. (Nice to look at, but only if the volume is MUTED!) LOL

I'll let you know how it goes.

Any bets on if the spouse test will retain it's current champion, the Sennheiser HD-650s, or will the JVC SZ2000s supplant the HD-650s at the pinnacle of headphone Nirvana in our household? :smile:

That sounds awesome! I think it's safe to say we can all only hope of a marriage like that lol. It would be awesome to catch her reaction when the bass bomb drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back