The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 7, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,511 of 12,992
GENTLEMEN:

The dust has settled, and we are now able to present the results of Wife-War 2015 (The Basshead edition)!

Note:  I have just learned that prior to earlier beliefs and claims, my wife IS NOT a basshead!  So sad... *SNIFF*  Explanation to follow

The subject:  My wife
The contenders:  Sennheiser HD-650, Photive PH-BTX6, & JVC HA-SZ2000 (With HA-55 Pads Mod)
The Player: iBASSO  DX90
The DAC/Amplifier:  iFi iDSD Micro (Connected via Forza Audio Works custom Digital Coaxial cable
The settings:  DX90 - Full volume (255) / EQ On:set to CUSTOM - 30=12, 180=12, 330=-1, 600=-10, 1k=-7, 4k=-12, 12k=-12, 16k=-12
                     iDSD Micro - PWR MODE=TURBO, FILTER=Bit Perfect, iEMatch=OFF, XBASS=ON, 3D=ON
                                        HD-650 Volume = 12 o'clock, PH-BTX6 & HA-SZ2000 Volumes = 9 o'clock

The music: "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa, "Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackon, "Causing A Commotion" by Madonna (All 192kHz 24-Bit FLAC)

Trial 1 "On My Level" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "This sounds good.  Who is this? Good beat"  (Note: slight head bopping)
                                 PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "Oh, now this sounds good.  The others sounded tinny compared to these.I feel like I'm at a club and I can feel the beat." (Note: Eyes closed, head bopping now more pronounced, with addition of body swaying at the chorus.)
                                 HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "What the ....?  OMG, I feel it in my TEETH!  Oh Honey, this is REALLY good!  I feel like I'm there in the arena and I can feel the music all around me.  (Chorus kicks in) Is it supposed to vibrate on my head like this?  Oh wow..."  (Note: Eyes closed tight, HUGE smile followed by the occasional wince when a beat hits extra hard, Hands on the earcups, full body-sway becomes out-right dancing.  Subject asked me not to stop the song until it's over.) 

Trial 2 "Dirty Diana" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "Okay, this sounds fine.  Let me hear the others."  (Note: No physical reaction observed)
                                 PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "This sounds better.  The music sounds really FULL." (Note: Slight head bopping followed by her singing-along at the chorus.)
                                 HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "Shut up! This is SO smooth!  Oh wow.  This is the best! I totally see why you got these now!" (Note: Subject stands and begins dancing while singing throughout most of the song.)

Trial 3 " Causing A Commotion" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "Okay, let me listen to the others."  (Note: Slight head bopping again)
                                                  PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "Yeah, this is good.  Let me listen to the others." (Note: Head bopping)
                                                  HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "Oh yeah, these are now mine!"

Two conclusions:  
           1:  My wife cannot listen to the headphones at levels that really allow them to show off their "THUMP" potential.  SO SAD!
           2:  I am now going to be looking around for my SZ2000s more often than I have to hunt down my PH-BTX6 headphones.

WINNER & NEW CHAMPION OF THE 2015 WIFE-WARS (Basshead Edition):  JVC HA-SZ2000 

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,512 of 12,992
Found an open box "like new" pair of JVC HA-M55X headphones for $14.99 plus $5.99 shipping, so for about $21.00 USD, I'm about to graduate to full hardcore bass livin with the SZ2000s!

I'm keeping the Brainwavs HA5 pads as my wife commented that these were easily the most comfortable headphones we own as they are. So current pads for comfort, but I'm switching-in the M55X's pads when it's time to release the beast. :D

I'm hoping that I didn't just misread the recommendations for pads for modding the SZ2000s, and just ordered the wrong ones....

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,513 of 12,992
Found an open box "like new" pair of JVC HA-M55X headphones for $14.99 plus $5.99 shipping, so for about $21.00 USD, I'm about to graduate to full hardcore bass livin with the SZ2000s!

I'm keeping the HA5 pads as my wife commented that these were easily the most comfortable headphones we own as they are. So current pads for comfort, but I'm switching-in the M55Xs when it's time to release the beast.
biggrin.gif

Your wife sounds cool as hell.
The HM5 Pads are definitely the 80% of the time pads but it's good to feel the full force the dense 55x pads offer if for no other reason than to feel the most low end powerful consumer cans on the planet at their best (amped with an eq boost)

Cool!!

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #3,515 of 12,992
  hey @hawaiibadboy !! i saw that you already received the cayan c5, can you tell if it is better than fiio e12 with JVC HA-MR77X??i will receive my cayan c5 like monday but i wanna know if it is better than e12 and if worth the money before open.

Did a vid but just filmed a compare vid (not with bass displays....that's another vid later)

Will upload in a bit

It will put out more bass. It has quirks but it will hit harder than the e12

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,516 of 12,992
I've got the TH-600 and the bass is neat as hell if you add 12 db / 50 hz in the Windows Bass Boost, but without the bass boost I didn't find the bass mind blowing or anything. Soon I'll get a pair of TH-900, cannot wait!

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #3,517 of 12,992
  I've got the TH-600 and the bass is neat as hell if you add 12 db / 50 hz in the Windows Bass Boost, but without the bass boost I didn't find the bass mind blowing or anything. Soon I'll get a pair of TH-900, cannot wait!

That's one of the Top 5 cans I believe on our list and the TH900 is #2
They are nice audiophile cans and go into beastmode with amp and low eq boosting

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #3,519 of 12,992
HBB, dude, you're the ****ing greatest. I had to wait on the cosign just to be extra guaranteed an upgrade. The forwardness/ super intimateness of the e12 was my only complaint ASIDE from the noise when you try to use it while charging it (happens when I want to go overtime). This pretty much fixes both those problems, wide soundstage, clean and quiet at all times, has a longer rated battery life (from what I remember from other reviews, don't remember if you covered this in the review - I'm tired as a mofo) ....AND it knocks harder? Pffft. 

Gonna make an order towards the end of the month and hopefully be able to sell my e12 UNLESS I make it my portable iem amp but I doubt it since I like to move around light with my phone only if I'm listening on the go, unless I'm on a long route on a train or a flight (which very rarely happens) and I guess I'd use the C5 cautiously anyway in situations like that.

Mad props, like always. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,520 of 12,992
  HBB, dude, you're the ****ing greatest. I had to wait on the cosign just to be extra guaranteed an upgrade. The forwardness/ super intimateness of the e12 was my only complaint ASIDE from the noise when you try to use it while charging it (happens when I want to go overtime). This pretty much fixes both those problems, wide soundstage, clean and quiet at all times, has a longer rated battery life (from what I remember from other reviews, don't remember if you covered this in the review - I'm tired as a mofo) ....AND it knocks harder? Pffft. 

Gonna make an order towards the end of the month and hopefully be able to sell my e12 UNLESS I make it my portable iem amp but I doubt it since I like to move around light with my phone only if I'm listening on the go, unless I'm on a long route on a train or a flight (which very rarely happens) and I guess I'd use the C5 cautiously anyway in situations like that.

Mad props, like always. 

I thought all the folks talking about a more spacious sound were full of **** because my practical mind cannot reason that without a reason like this capacitor or that_____ does_____ but sure as **** it does present a wider more spacious playback and it delivers a ******* thump superior in texture

cant believe I am saying spacious and texture but ****...there ya go.

The thread was built with the e12 so anyone thinking they gotta save right away need chill. No worries. If you wanna slightly bigger punch and consider the e12 to be narrow and a little too rough with the highs this Cayin is smooth just like advertised.

Identical track and eq used when comparing the amps.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #3,521 of 12,992
  hey @hawaiibadboy !! i saw that you already received the cayan c5, can you tell if it is better than fiio e12 with JVC HA-MR77X??i will receive my cayan c5 like monday but i wanna know if it is better than e12 and if worth the money before open.

Better is tough to say and worth is really tough.

You need a way to charge from a mini usb but the e12 cord works. I dunno what I'm missing besides maybe everybody has mini usb charger adaptors besides me
confused.gif

It is a better amp in my opinion. If you live paycheck to paycheck the step up is not needed right away. If you can afford to treat yourself to a little more of everything then yes it is worth it.
I have felt stupid before when buying stuff but I do not feel that way with the Cayin so I guess that says it all. I'm stoked.  The mini to mini usb pissed me off but once I heard the playback I was cool
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #3,522 of 12,992
  GENTLEMEN:

The dust has settled, and we are now able to present the results of Wife-War 2015 (The Basshead edition)!

Note:  I have just learned that prior to earlier beliefs and claims, my wife IS NOT a basshead!  So sad... *SNIFF*  Explanation to follow

The subject:  My wife
The contenders:  Sennheiser HD-650, Photive PH-BTX6, & JVC HA-SZ2000 (With HA-55 Pads Mod)
The Player: iBASSO  DX90
The DAC/Amplifier:  iFi iDSD Micro (Connected via Forza Audio Works custom Digital Coaxial cable
The settings:  DX90 - Full volume (255) / EQ On:set to CUSTOM - 30=12, 180=12, 330=-1, 600=-10, 1k=-7, 4k=-12, 12k=-12, 16k=-12
                     iDSD Micro - PWR MODE=TURBO, FILTER=Bit Perfect, iEMatch=OFF, XBASS=ON, 3D=ON
                                        HD-650 Volume = 12 o'clock, PH-BTX6 & HA-SZ2000 Volumes = 9 o'clock

The music: "On My Level" by Wiz Khalifa, "Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackon, "Causing A Commotion" by Madonna (All 192kHz 24-Bit FLAC)

Trial 1 "On My Level" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "This sounds good.  Who is this? Good beat"  (Note: slight head bopping)
                                 PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "Oh, now this sounds good.  The others sounded tinny compared to these.I feel like I'm at a club and I can feel the beat." (Note: Eyes closed, head bopping now more pronounced, with addition of body swaying at the chorus.)
                                 HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "What the ....?  OMG, I feel it in my TEETH!  Oh Honey, this is REALLY good!  I feel like I'm there in the arena and I can feel the music all around me.  (Chorus kicks in) Is it supposed to vibrate on my head like this?  Oh wow..."  (Note: Eyes closed tight, HUGE smile followed by the occasional wince when a beat hits extra hard, Hands on the earcups, full body-sway becomes out-right dancing.  Subject asked me not to stop the song until it's over.) 

Trial 2 "Dirty Diana" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "Okay, this sounds fine.  Let me hear the others."  (Note: No physical reaction observed)
                                 PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "This sounds better.  The music sounds really FULL." (Note: Slight head bopping followed by her singing-along at the chorus.)
                                 HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "Shut up! This is SO smooth!  Oh wow.  This is the best! I totally see why you got these now!" (Note: Subject stands and begins dancing while singing throughout most of the song.)

Trial 3 " Causing A Commotion" - HD-650s RESPONSE: "Okay, let me listen to the others."  (Note: Slight head bopping again)
                                                  PH-BTX6 RESPONSE: "Yeah, this is good.  Let me listen to the others." (Note: Head bopping)
                                                  HA-SZ2000 RESPONSE: "Oh yeah, these are now mine!"

Two conclusions:  
           1:  My wife cannot listen to the headphones at levels that really allow them to show off their "THUMP" potential.  SO SAD!
           2:  I am now going to be looking around for my SZ2000s more often than I have to hunt down my PH-BTX6 headphones.

WINNER & NEW CHAMPION OF THE 2015 WIFE-WARS (Basshead Edition):  JVC HA-SZ2000 

it would be cool to hear what she think about xb1000. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,523 of 12,992
it would be cool to hear what she think about xb1000. 

She'd definitely be game, but now doesn't seem to be a good time to pick them up. Amazon is up to over $600 for them right now. I might be able to convince her that HD-700s are worth that, though I'm guessing she'd probably still prefer the HD-650s... But there is no way I could convince her that I should have gotten the XB1000s when I can't even convince myself...

If someone was willing to exchange headphones for no more than a week we'd do a side-by-side, but I'm not sure that anyone is that interested in hearing our comparisons when their reviews can just be found on YouTube or the like. If BestBuy had them, I'd go and at least audition them, but no dice...

I think the hierarchy in our household has been established for now: classical, instrumentals, complex Jazz, and vocals = HD650. Rap, House, Industrial, Technica, DUBSTEP, classic Blues, and JPOP/POP music, = SZ2000 in "BEAST MODE". Rock, Alternative, Easy Listening, World Music, Ballads, etc... = SZ2000 in mostly flat EQ with mids and vocals a bit elevated.

Travel = Koss Porta Pros unless isolation/wireless needed, then it's the Photive PH-BTX6 (Wired or Bluetooth modes)

Stealth Travel = VMODA Bass FREQs. I've recently noticed that I've almost completely stopped using the UE Super.Fi3s anymore... (I can't even find them at the moment!)

TV/Movies = Sennheiser RS-180s. Great sound, spatialization, and dialogue isolation. They come in a close 2nd to the HDS-650s, but not quite as clean or revealing. Still a nice casual listening headphone for about any type of music.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #3,524 of 12,992
 Rock, Alternative, Easy Listening, World Music, Ballads, etc... = SZ2000 in mostly flat EQ with mids and vocals a bit elevated.

Hi my friend,

Not to tell you how to listen to music, but just in case, you might want to check back a couple of pages on this thread for EQ meant to flatten the SZ response. It was surprising to me how lowering everything from 30 to 850 Hz cleared up the sound, then you have to increase the frequencies up to 2000Hz to get the treble, and lower some of the higher treble. A frequency sweep should confirm how your pair sounds/behaves and then you can really tune to your liking but I believe this to be a good start. Of course, I assumed "flat EQ" means you have not already corrected the peaks/valleys of the SZ2k frequency response.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #3,525 of 12,992

Hi my friend,

Not to tell you how to listen to music, but just in case, you might want to check back a couple of pages on this thread for EQ meant to flatten the SZ response. It was surprising to me how lowering everything from 30 to 850 Hz cleared up the sound, then you have to increase the frequencies up to 2000Hz to get the treble, and lower some of the higher treble. A frequency sweep should confirm how your pair sounds/behaves and then you can really tune to your liking but I believe this to be a good start. Of course, I assumed "flat EQ" means you have not already corrected the peaks/valleys of the SZ2k frequency response.

Katulu,

2 things you'll hopefully learn about talking to me in the times to come:
  • You will NEVER have to qualify your reasons for offering helpful advice to me. 
    biggrin.gif
      I'll always appreciate someone taking their time and effort to offer help.
  • My Audio knowledge is spotty at best.  I know what I've needed to learn to address a specific need or want, but the theory at large and the tools/methods to achieve desired results I'm largely lacking on.  For instance, I'm not ashamed at all to admit that I'm going to have to go and look up what a frequency sweep does and is used for.  (And HAPPY to do so!  It's a big part of the enjoyment of learning Audio and it's properties for me.)

So thank you for the suggestions!  I am open to, and appreciate any feedback you or others have that might help me find an even better sound out of the SZ2000s or any piece of equipment.  I've actually printed out all of the posts here that had those types of suggestions, (I exported them into searchable PDF files.
wink.gif
)  So I'll rummage through the Bass Club history and look for that post.

Ken N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back