Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #74,191 of 75,772
It looks like a Gordie's cable, but which one?

Looks like the silver electroplated copper (the one you pair with Ibis).

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #74,193 of 75,772
These are the best I've got, they're flexib
and are perfect for CAX
Capture d’écran 2024-03-02 à 12.24.01.png
I have these and they work well with CAX. Nonetheless, the other ones from @qua2k seems to be more compact. Really interested now.

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #74,194 of 75,772
I have these and they work well with CAX. Nonetheless, the other ones from @qua2k seems to be more compact. Really interested now.
with the new cable, i need nothing, but with the first one , They are perfect to hear whithout any problem- the CAx 's stand very easely and i can support them as long time as i want

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #74,195 of 75,772
Hello everybody!

I've been reading the forum occasionally but haven't actually posted anything. I would appreciate if you can help me decide which earbuds to get in the $100-$150 price range. I've narrowed down my search to four models: Fiio FF5, EM5 (used), VE Asura 3.0FE and Rikubuds Saber 3. I'm looking for something that has good build quality and a dark/warm sound, since I'm sensitive to sparky treble.

Based on sound signature, from what I've seen, the best option would be either the Rikubuds or the EM5. The Asura seem more neutral, and the FF5 a bit more V shaped, though I was interesed in these two from a build quality perspective, they look good and well built. I also assumed I could EQ any treble sharpness they might have, or use some thick foams to lower it down.

What would you guys recommend based on your experience? Also I'm open to look for any alternatives in that price range, or cheaper, you might think are a better option.

Thanks!
Saber 3

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #74,196 of 75,772
Okay fellas/ladies, I was gonna post an RW-4k review a few weeks back, but I ended up having to let my account be reviewed and when I started listening I noticed a decent channel imbalance in my pair so I sent them back to exchange them for a new pair. The new pair arrived this morning so I'll do some listening and get my impressions up soon.

BTW, I sincerely apologize for forgetting to post about this after getting my account back. Things have been crazy on the road (happy to be home for a few days) and I didn't remember until the mailman dropped my new pair off this morning. As an aside, VS Audio Store on AE was very easy to deal with and shipped out the replacement with expedited shipping as soon as the returned pair showed up on tracking as being at customs in China. After several less than helpful interactions with sellers on AE, this was refreshing.

Anyways, my plan is to have something posted on Monday or early Tuesday after I've had a few days with them and I promise not to forget this time. 😉😎

Edit: I hope everyone is doing well! 👍

Edit 2: Added ladies because I figured just because all the active participants I know are dudes doesn't mean there aren't any members of the opposite sex reading the thread. Sorry and welcome to all my female earbuds/flathead fans!
you already did so much for the forum and more, and even if you would have not, there is really no reason for you to apologize at all! We all have a life, which is more important for sure. Much appreciate the update tho!

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #74,197 of 75,772
The Yinman can get plenty of volume with less power, they just aren't exerting proper control over the drivers. Some people might even prefer them to sound this way.

The FF5 are not warm and relaxed. They are a bit colder and more aggressive in the treble region (though not sibilant, only comparitively speaking). But, if you want to give them a try, they are indeed TOTL sound, and yes, any set that has detachable cable can be replaced with one that has a mic on it. :) I only left them off the list because they don't have the sound preference you are looking for (not just sounding like the HD650, but the "warm and relaxed" part; these aren't that).

Yes, you could definitely get the FF1 and FF3S and switch (proprietary) cables for the mic, but from all that I have seen, the FF3S aren't as warm and relaxed as the FF3; though, since I have not heard them, it could be enough for your needs. But the FF1 do fit what you posted that you are looking for. :)

I didn't suppose you wanted something that sounded just like the HD650, because truly the only one that does is the Yinman 2.0 600. The others on the first list are different, but still warm and relaxing in varying amounts (compared to most other earbuds).

If you are looking for something that is only slightly warm, then that actually changes the recommendations a lot, because most earbuds that have a full sound are on the warm side of neutral. The following are all warm(ish), but some can be more aggressive on the top end than others, but all of them are of good quality to top notch quality (IMHO):

• Yincrow RW2000 (detach cable)
  • Yincrow RW3000 (detach cable; over your budget by quite a bit)
  • FiiO FF5 (detach cable)
  • FiiO FF1 (detach cable)
  • NiceHCK EB2S & pro version (not detach, but has option for mic)
  • Lun Shem Aeolian Bells (comes with no cable)
  • Smabat ST10S (detach cable; if you can still get them)
  • Smabat M5 Golden (detach cable; sound like ICE picks in upper mids though)
  • Smabat M4 (same as M5)
  • Smabat M2s Pro (discontinued, but have detach cable, and sound really good with the right driver (either Super One 100ohm or ST10S 150ohm driver))
  • Most all DIY purchases (as long as you order it with an MMCX or 2-pin connection; and some you can even have them custom tune for you)
  • Your own DIY (if you felt like pulling the trigger in making your own set, you can customize it how you like)
  • A bunch of budget sets, and you recable yourself (i.e. Monk Lite, Yincrow X6, etc...)
Other than the DIY suggestions, these are all only the ones I have heard or own, so there are probably a LOT more that might fit your needs, and others might be able to speak up with those suggestions. The problem is that there aren't as many (not much more than my first suggestions) that have the combination of warm, plus relaxing, plus either detachable cable, or mic built in.

I still think that the Yincrow RW2000 or the FiiO FF1 are my top picks for what you described... My $.02, and I could be way off base here.
you really nailed it for the FF5! Perfect description!
To my ears the FF3s still is warm and somewhat relaxed at least in the treble and mids region. Depending on how treble sensitive one is, it might be more relaxed than the rw3000, at least for me personally, as i like less prominent upper mids and treble in general. Still the rw3000 is also relaxed and easy on the ears, its just that the FF3s is much warmer overall and therefore envelopes you in a thick wool blanket. Which might even be too much tho for the wanted "slight warmth". :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #74,198 of 75,772
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #74,199 of 75,772
They came included with the CAX when I purchased it from @jwilliamhurst I am hoping he can let us know where he got them :)
It’s these in black size S

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $0.94 5% Off | New arrival Silicone Ear pads buds Tips Headset Earbuds eartips Earplugs For i8 phone Earpods MX375 400 OPP MH126/9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msh4TCI

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #74,200 of 75,772
Kgis p13 pro

Smooth sounding, thin bass and treble but gorgeous mids, resolution and soundstage above average, one of the best mids under $25
1000011959.jpg

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #74,201 of 75,772
Kgis p13 pro

Smooth sounding, thin bass and treble but gorgeous mids, resolution and soundstage above average, one of the best mids under $25
1000011959.jpg
I assume you just got them??? If so then, congrats on your new shiny! :)

Those look very nice (especially for a set under $25). Are you wearing them without any foams?

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #74,202 of 75,772
I assume you just got them??? If so then, congrats on your new shiny! :)

Those look very nice (especially for a set under $25). Are you wearing them without any foams?
Yea got them 1 week ago, cost around $7 and sounds better than boarseman mx98s, similiar mids/vocal oriented buds, but with far better technicalities. I wonder how the pricier kgis sound is, especially the sp500

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #74,203 of 75,772
Kgis p13 pro

1000011959.jpg
looks gorgeous! this morning i caught myself seriously thinking about moving to asia because of the endless earbud possibilitys to get. those buds will be unavailable in europe for ever. i think i have a serious problem :rolling_eyes:

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #74,204 of 75,772
This is an IEM video, but about 70% of it is directly applicable to earbuds as well. Its a great explanation of why people hear different earbuds completely different, and also why what we see on the graphs may have no relation to how we hear the sound. I learned a lot. Title is so clickbaity though lol.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #74,205 of 75,772
This is an IEM video, but about 70% of it is directly applicable to earbuds as well. Its a great explanation of why people hear different earbuds completely different, and also why what we see on the graphs may have no relation to how we hear the sound. I learned a lot. Title is so clickbaity though lol.

To expand on this each ear hear things differently "People's left and right ears are never the same. Each has their own and distinct hearing abilities, reflecting, in fact, the functional asymmetry of our brain. The sounds coming from the right ear are processed by the left cerebral hemisphere and vice versa. While the right hemisphere of the brain is responsible for processing non-verbal sound information, such as pitch, intensity and timbre, the preponderance of the left ear in listening to music and ambient sounds."

I use this feature on my Android sound settings called Adapt Sound in Samsung. It's a very useful tool for volume-matching IEMs, earbuds, and headphones. It works by giving you a frequency test and adjusting each frequency depending on how well you can hear them. I also use them as an at-home audiogram test (I know it doesn't replace a proper test), but it's good enough to get an idea on your hearing health.
IMG_20240303_212731.jpg
This was taken using my most neutral earbuds that I have Ksearphone LBBS and as you can see from my results, my left ear have a little bit of trouble hearing higher pitches compared to my right ear.
IMG_20240303_211117.jpg
Taken with my most neutral IEMs Etymotic ER4SR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back