Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #74,028 of 75,273
#notflathead

I tried the new Bose Ultra Open 'Earbuds'.

https://www.bose.com/p/earbuds/bose-ultra-open-earbuds/ULT-HEADPHONEOPN.html

I surprisingly liked them a lot. Super comfortable, unlike other 'ear clasp' types of buds that I've tried. Looks wise, I'd be happy to wear them anytime.

Sounds wise, when I turned them on, I had to double check that what I was hearing was from the buds and not from an external speaker. They sound very external to me who is used to flatheads.

They have way more bass than other clasp types. Don't sound thin at all. A bit far the opposite actually. I'd call them a bit boomy or bloated.

I kinda want them, and I'd prefer them over the Sony donuts or airpods (non pro), because of fit and style. There are times when I do want the convenience that true wireless gets you. But I would always miss the levels of detail and tuning that I'm used to from my normal earbuds.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #74,029 of 75,273
#notflathead

I tried the new Bose Ultra Open 'Earbuds'.

https://www.bose.com/p/earbuds/bose-ultra-open-earbuds/ULT-HEADPHONEOPN.html

I surprisingly liked them a lot. Super comfortable, unlike other 'ear clasp' types of buds that I've tried. Looks wise, I'd be happy to wear them anytime.

Sounds wise, when I turned them on, I had to double check that what I was hearing was from the buds and not from an external speaker. They sound very external to me who is used to flatheads.

They have way more bass than other clasp types. Don't sound thin at all. A bit far the opposite actually. I'd call them a bit boomy or bloated.

I kinda want them, and I'd prefer them over the Sony donuts or airpods (non pro), because of fit and style. There are times when I do want the convenience that true wireless gets you. But I would always miss the levels of detail and tuning that I'm used to from my normal earbuds.
thank you for your impressions! i had the similar experience when i discovered the Tozo openbuds. They sound so much in front of me and out of my head, that none of my buds or other headphones come even close. i use them always for watching video and its not far off my dts system. i would even use them exclusively for everything, but i somehow still need to justify all my other gear..

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #74,030 of 75,273
Alright..I don't know how some of you wear buds with the stem up. I tried today, and while I could find pretty good comfort out of this way of wearing them, I could not get a proper seal. At all.

I think I'm going to try again tomorrow with a thicker foam.
Judging by the "stem up", your earbuds have classic (MX500-like) shape. This shape isn't the best for wearing the earbuds "cable up" - bell-shaped earbuds are better suited for this.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #74,031 of 75,273
Rhino is a neutral sound or v-shaped such as RW2000?
I like RW3000, but it is much expensive than i want.
Rhino is not neutral, maybe V or U, hard to say because it depends on your source. If you're looking for neutral earbuds in your budget range, get the DUNU Alpha 3 or maybe the Temperament X6. I think you could be very happy with either of those earbuds.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #74,032 of 75,273
Rhino is not neutral, maybe V or U, hard to say because it depends on your source.
Thank you.
I'm not worried about some rise in the high frequencies. But I really don't want a failed midrange. I want good mid frequencies with high resolution. But so that the overall tone of the sound is lighter, not darker. So that the high frequencies were extended and added clarity and space to the sound.
Like that)

I will try listening to the headphones you suggested.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #74,033 of 75,273
Thank you.
I'm not worried about some rise in the high frequencies. But I really don't want a failed midrange. I want good mid frequencies with high resolution. But so that the overall tone of the sound is lighter, not darker. So that the high frequencies were extended and added clarity and space to the sound.
Like that)
Link to post by @wskl with review of Temperament X6
Link to review of DUNU Alpha 3 by @baskingshark

As I said before, I think you could be very happy with either one of them.

The Temperament DB1 is another earbud with excellent midrange, but may cost more than you want to spend.
Link to my impressions of the Temperament DB1

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #74,035 of 75,273
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #74,036 of 75,273
I want good mid frequencies with high resolution. But so that the overall tone of the sound is lighter, not darker. So that the high frequencies were extended and added clarity and space to the sound.
If I decided to spend more, which would be a better choice for my request - Yincrow RW3000 or DB1?
I think I will reconsider the budget and buy slightly better headphones)
Ok, I'm not pushing you to spend your money, but if you're willing to up your budget then I will suggest the Moondrop Chaconne as the top pick for smooth (lighter, not darker) sound signature, airy high frequencies with nice sound stage. It is available on Amazon US, so if you don't like it, it is easy to return. The other suggestions I already made are not exactly that style. The Chaconne is one earbud that fills the niche of excellent midrange with a smooth / lighter, not dark sound signature. This does not mean the Chaconne are missing bass, it is present and helps to give the sound a "fullness" so to speak. Maybe others will have other thoughts, but this will be my last suggestion for you.

EDIT: Here is an excellent post by @samandhi which describes what kind of sound the Chaconne have to offer.

Side note: Hey @samandhi, where you been man?

Keep your money in your pocket(my opinion... but you can do what you want)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-15742294
You can choose any shell because it will sound good.
Bonus:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EuAu8GN
Excellent idea if they are keen and ready to jump into DIY.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #74,038 of 75,273
Please suggest how can i order Draco ?
Apologies, but you cannot purchase these (AFAIK). After I posted about them (and the rest), I felt badly, and I should have posted on the Fran appreciation thread instead. FranQL is one of the best DIYers out there, but he does it for the joy of it, rather than for profit. He pays for ALL the materials out of his own pocket.

Ok, I'm not pushing you to spend your money, but if you're willing to up your budget then I will suggest the Moondrop Chaconne as the top pick for smooth (lighter, not darker) sound signature, airy high frequencies with nice sound stage. It is available on Amazon US, so if you don't like it, it is easy to return. The other suggestions I already made are not exactly that style. The Chaconne is one earbud that fills the niche of excellent midrange with a smooth / lighter, not dark sound signature. This does not mean the Chaconne are missing bass, it is present and helps to give the sound a "fullness" so to speak. Maybe others will have other thoughts, but this will be my last suggestion for you.

EDIT: Here is an excellent post by @samandhi which describes what kind of sound the Chaconne have to offer.

Side note: Hey @samandhi, where you been man?

Excellent idea if they are keen and ready to jump into DIY.
I second the Chaconne (as you know from reading that post you quoted LOL). And thank you, sir for the praise... it is highly appreciated, and part of why I love helping people on Head-Fi in general. :)

I have been really sick, for what seems forever. I started with a sinus infection, then went into Influenza A (the worst case I have ever had), then straight into Pneumonia, and ended up with a topping of (more) sinus infection, all of which I am over now, except the sinus infection. It seems to want to cling to me come hell or high water... :wink:

Apologies for not being around much, though I have managed to read most everything since I last posted, I was just not feeling able to post (or even "like" with only half a brain in my head)..

I hope everyone has been doing well, and enjoying all of their toys... :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

And last but not least for a "return to the fold" post, as opposed to my usual individual congrats phrase, I will just say to ALL: Congrats on your new shiny(s); be it store bought or DIY! :)

For those that have not yet given impressions on their new stuff, I would love to read about them.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #74,039 of 75,273
Apologies, but you cannot purchase these (AFAIK). After I posted about them (and the rest), I felt badly, and I should have posted on the Fran appreciation thread instead. FranQL is one of the best DIYers out there, but he does it for the joy of it, rather than for profit. He pays for ALL the materials out of his own pocket.

I second the Chaconne (as you know from reading that post you quoted LOL). And thank you, sir for the praise... it is highly appreciated, and part of why I love helping people on Head-Fi in general. :)

I have been really sick, for what seems forever. I started with a sinus infection, then went into Influenza A (the worst case I have ever had), then straight into Pneumonia, and ended up with a topping of (more) sinus infection, all of which I am over now, except the sinus infection. It seems to want to cling to me come hell or high water... :wink:

Apologies for not being around much, though I have managed to read most everything since I last posted, I was just not feeling able to post (or even "like" with only half a brain in my head)..

I hope everyone has been doing well, and enjoying all of their toys... :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

And last but not least for a "return to the fold" post, as opposed to my usual individual congrats phrase, I will just say to ALL: Congrats on your new shiny(s); be it store bought or DIY! :)

For those that have not yet given impressions on their new stuff, I would love to read about them.
Wow! Bro, you've been through a lot and I hope for your speedy recovery from the last bits of illness. I got a miserable cold this winter and after I recovered from that, I continued with a nagging after effect cough for about a month, so while not as bad... all I can say is getting sick sucks!

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #74,040 of 75,273
Do any of you know what tips these are? They came with a set of Fir Audio RN6 demos. I like them on the Monarch MKIII IEMs. I reached out to Fir and haven't received
response, yet.
IMG_9107.jpgIMG_9106.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back