Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #68,746 of 75,470
Dude, you went way out of budget with these! Lol. I only have a around 50 euro budget (must be around 55 usd)
I re-read your post asking for recommendations, and I apologize that for some reason I read right past your budget. :) One other reason that I posted all the TOTL buds is because for what you are looking for, and generally speaking with IEMs and earbuds, the budget options tend to not tune the treble very well (if at all), and they boost 2-4K to give the perception of clarity/treble. Though, I would trust @JAnonymous5150's ears about his recommendations. There is really only a couple of buds that we don't completely agree on, and even those aren't total opposites for both of us. :) As for me, I have not heard the ones he's recommending so I can't comment, except that I would get them if he is saying that they will get you what you want.
I just need good durable earbuds for training who's about 50 euro.
Plus, most of the ones you posted are 600 ohm, so are difficult to drive, and i'll be using it with a low end smartphone. I doubt they will even remotely perform any good
Only one of those are 600ohms (Yinmans). The rest can easily be driven from a phone. :)
Hey Bud-dies,

I am looking to upgrade my Faaeal Iris 2.0s! My budget is ~$100 and don't really mind going up to $130. I only have access to Amazon US. I don't like foams since they tend to fall out and I don't really care about bass. My options are:

Ksearphone Bell LB S - $65
Smabat M2 Pro - (~$50-65?)
Fiio FF3 - $100
Fiio FF5 - $130

If there is another worthwhile earbud I didn't mention, please LMK. Also, is the VE Monk plus worth buying just for fun? If it isn't competitive, then I'll skip it.
I think you have found most (if not all) the good ones you can get from Amazon in your price range...

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #68,747 of 75,470
Those looks so amazing! But still, i can't stand the in ear silicon, i keep touching and touching it every 30 seconds, so that isn't for me!

yes, that's the type of earphone shape i can stand best! Of course with the silicone anti slip thingy, but only the part that goes inside the ear, and cutting off the "wing" because it doesn't stay in the right place where the earphone stays still. It still falls from the ear sometimes around the end of the run, but still is good enough. I think i may have an untipical ear shape.
I honestly am really doubtful that anything in my price range would last that much, since all earphones i had broke themselves. From the more costly ones to the cheap. I've had xiaomi air 2s (china version and eu version), tronsmart onyx ace,plus many other cabled ones like memt t5 (SPECTACULAR SOUND for their price, but lasted like 3 weeks), jcally ep05, ve monk plus, honor earbuds that come with new smartphones..I've heard about soundpeats so much, since much sites who review hi-fi headhphones has reviewed and rated some of their products as best buys for the price range, but still they were in ear amd i can't find one sites who has a particular category for "old style" earphone to choose from

Dude, you went way out of budget with these! Lol. I only have a around 50 euro budget (must be around 55 usd)
I just need good durable earbuds for training who's about 50 euro.
Plus, most of the ones you posted are 600 ohm, so are difficult to drive, and i'll be using it with a low end smartphone. I doubt they will even remotely perform any good

I've had that (that goes with the entire earphone, not just the outside) but it seems my ear shape is atipical, i find those not really helpful to keep in place, so i cut off the "wings"
Noone can give an advice to what cabled earphone i could consider? Just mind that i use it on a low end smarthphone (so they need to be easy to drive) and i mainly listen to metal and hip-hop.
That air 3 deluxe looks just what i need, but i still don't know if i should risk a wireless earphone a 4th time. I don't want to spend that money every 6 months
Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

It's Philips A1105 Sport / Running cabled earbuds with 3.5mm plug. The link I gave is for Amazon.it (Italy), so easy for you to buy.

I don't know about the sound quality, but it's cheap and probably will give you good enough sound for when you are running and you can also hear traffic noise for safety.

71IpjF4qS1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #68,748 of 75,470
My small progress :)
IMG_20230318_000204_634.jpg

IMG_20230317_125947.jpg
IMG_20230317_130039.jpg
IMG_20230317_180259.jpg
The big sound tube N ~35mm + 11mm small tube. Very wide sound stage, sound like a full-size headphones. Deep and full bass, full muds, extended highs. Warm sound with Berillium 130 Ohm driver. These are the first earbuds that you can listen to on the street.

Soon I will share with you my achievements and how to make such shell for myself :wink:
As a reminder, I designed the shell for 3D printing so that everyone can repeat it.
This is real next-gen earbuds ...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #68,749 of 75,470
Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

It's Philips A1105 Sport / Running cabled earbuds with 3.5mm plug. The link I gave is for Amazon.it (Italy), so easy for you to buy.

I don't know about the sound quality, but it's cheap and probably will give you good enough sound for when you are running and you can also hear traffic noise for safety.

71IpjF4qS1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I've had sonys of that type. Cheap but average sound and they also break after short time. Also i think that these would kinda scratch my ear when putting on, cause of the aluminium of the pads

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #68,750 of 75,470
I've had sonys of that type. Cheap but average sound and they also break after short time. Also i think that these would kinda scratch my ear when putting on, cause of the aluminium of the pads
I guess everything will either break on you, bother your ears or be outside your budget. Good luck in your search.

EDIT: I don't want to appear like I'm being negative or anything. The reality is that flat head earbuds have become a niche market item, not as mainstream as years gone by. You can still find new old stock (NOS) sports flat head earbuds by searching ebay. The ones that I found that are still available for purchase was by a google search for "wired sports earbuds" and then clicking "Images". If it was 2010 - 2015 right now instead of 2023, there would be many more choices for you. You might find a set that fits all your criteria on AliExpress as well.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #68,751 of 75,470
These won't work for any of the MX style shells because the body behind the grill is too fat and there is no place to attach the hook.
that's good to know! Thank you! I was thinking of buying those to use on my earbud that has mx shell but I had a feeling that these wouldn't be able to grasp correctly on the mx shell. Thank you for this confirmation! Instead I bought this one and I'm waiting for arrival. Hope it helps fitting better on my ears :smile:

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #68,752 of 75,470
Does anyone happen to know what the difference between the Shozy BK & Shozy BKSE is? Can’t seem to find much on the BKSE?

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #68,753 of 75,470
that's good to know! Thank you! I was thinking of buying those to use on my earbud that has mx shell but I had a feeling that these wouldn't be able to grasp correctly on the mx shell. Thank you for this confirmation! Instead I bought this one and I'm waiting for arrival. Hope it helps fitting better on my ears :smile:
I have some similar to those, and they also work well (for me). :)

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #68,754 of 75,470
Does anyone happen to know what the difference between the Shozy BK & Shozy BKSE is? Can’t seem to find much on the BKSE?
Looks like just the cable. All the specs appear to be the same (at least as far as Penon on AE states). Though the regular BK are much more expensive than the special edition... How odd?!

Shozy BK
Shozy BKSE

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #68,755 of 75,470
For me there is no better for classical type and analog instrument music than the Moondrop Chaconne. Some reviews HERE. There ARE others that are good, but these are the best of the best for that type of music (IMHO).
Any thought if compare to Yinman 600ohm? Tonality and character?

thank you.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #68,756 of 75,470
Looks like just the cable. All the specs appear to be the same (at least as far as Penon on AE states). Though the regular BK are much more expensive than the special edition... How odd?!

Shozy BK
Shozy BKSE
Agreed - the price threw me as well. Could be a value play at the new price...

I wonder if there is some SQ change… 🤔 as apart from the cable, which you pointed out, I also cannot see a difference.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #68,757 of 75,470
Any thought if compare to Yinman 600ohm? Tonality and character?

thank you.
Totally different animals here.

Where the Chaconne are bright yet smooth with buttery mids and super airyness, the Yinman are warm and smooth with very nice bass presentation (also with buttery mids). The Chaconne are much more tonally accurate and revealing in both macro and micro details and second harmonics (having much cleaner and forward treble). Technicalities are also top notch on the Chaconne (and that is saying a lot since the Yinman are still currently my favorite overall buds). The Chaconne are so crystal clear in their presentation it really is surprising that they don't become fatiguing (and they really don't IMO), and you would think that they HAVE to be aggressive to be this clear, but they aren't really. The Yinman are much more laid back and have more of a fun sound presentation but are also surprisingly clear given their tone. I would use the Chaconne for critical listening, but probably not the Yinman; though you COULD use them for that, they are just more akin to musical.

For overall versatility the Yinman trump the Chaconne, but for anything with analog instruments or classical, the Chaconne come out on top... Bottom line is if you are looking for a set JUST for that certain type of music get the Chaconne, but if you are looking to be able to listen to it all equally well then, the Yinman will cover it. Make no mistake, the Chaconne can be an "all-rounder", but you will need to boost the bass to do it. The bass is all there, but at a level that you won't be happy with on music that relies on it. With classical music the bass is definitely conveyed as it should be, but anything with major thump and rumble will be in the Yinmans department; having some really deep and visceral bass when called for.

As for staging, there is only one set better and that is the Maria II. And even then, it is REALLY close. Our own @WoodyLuvr once called the Maria II the queen of soundstage, and the Chaconne the King (IIRC).... The good part is that there really is no compromise to this staging, and it doesn't sound fake. While the Yinman can convey staging, imaging, dynamics, etc... very well, honestly, it can't touch the Chaconne in this realm. What the Yinman have over the Chaconne is the pure tuning across the board, rather than more mids and treble like the Chaconne focus on. They are very pleasing in their character, and you just never want to take them out of your ears. :)

More diffuse sound = Chaconne
Full all around sound = Yinman

Hope that didn't confuse?! :wink:

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #68,758 of 75,470
I wonder if there is some SQ change… 🤔
That is a very good question! Maybe write to PA and ask them what the differences are?! I am kind of curious myself now... LOL

The only differences on their AE add (from the way I read it) is that the SE have both a contemporary and old school feel to them. That and the fact that the SE have OFC cable, where the regular ones don't say materials, other than 8 core.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #68,759 of 75,470
That is a very good question! Maybe write to PA and ask them what the differences are?! I am kind of curious myself now... LOL

The only differences on their AE add (from the way I read it) is that the SE have both a contemporary and old school feel to them. That and the fact that the SE have OFC cable, where the regular ones don't say materials, other than 8 core.
I've sent them a message - will report back when I get a reply 👍

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #68,760 of 75,470
DQSM Turandot. I think I may be the only person on the planet who isn't wowed by the Chaconnes though I can see why others like them as much as they do and think they're a great suggestion, but since getting the Turandots they are my go to for the types of music you mentioned. They can go from delicate/ethereal to dynamic and powerful at the drop of a hat. They recreate space and atmosphere very well.

Edit: Also depending on how treble sensitive you are, the Rose Technics Maria IIs can be very good with these kinds of genres though they are quite bright and have a uniquely delicate presentation so they certainly aren't for everyone.
Interesting, it's the buds i often use for Rock/Metal: very dynamic, even a bit agressive in the mids and excellent level of details.
Excellent earbuds, among the best i own.

Those little beast are a bit overlooked and dont get the attention they deserve.

For soundstage i could mention (but many will disagree) the Astrotec Lyra Nature...the Nature won't please everyone (liké most Astrotec buds), but their soundstage is very wide and airy (too airy?). They have their qualities for classical (but won't have the energy of the Turandot...the Lyra are more appropriate for Chopin than for Wagner! Turandot are more all rounders)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back