Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #68,761 of 75,781
Interesting, it's the buds i often use for Rock/Metal: very dynamic, even a bit agressive in the mids and excellent level of details.
Excellent earbuds, among the best i own.

Those little beast are a bit overlooked and dont get the attention they deserve.

For soundstage i could mention (but many will disagree) the Astrotec Lyra Nature...the Nature won't please everyone (liké most Astrotec buds), but their soundstage is very wide and airy (too airy?). They have their qualities for classical (but won't have the energy of the Turandot...the Lyra are more appropriate for Chopin than for Wagner! Turandot are more all rounders)

I totally agree that the Turandots deserve much more recognition than they get. I don't listen to too much metal, but I really big their detailed, balanced, and somewhat forward style for classical/symphonic stuff. They also recreate space and dimensions well for the ambient stuff OP mentioned. I do also love the Turandots for many other genres. 😎

I, personally, was very much not impressed by the Astrotecs, but they do have a reasonably large soundstage like you said and I could see them being good for the genres mentioned IF they clicked with the OP. For me, they were decent, but seemed overpriced given the performance of competitors at the same and lesser prices.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #68,762 of 75,781
I totally agree that the Turandots deserve much more recognition than they get. I don't listen to too much metal, but I really big their detailed, balanced, and somewhat forward style for classical/symphonic stuff. They also recreate space and dimensions well for the ambient stuff OP mentioned. I do also love the Turandots for many other genres. 😎

I, personally, was very much not impressed by the Astrotecs, but they do have a reasonably large soundstage like you said and I could see them being good for the genres mentioned IF they clicked with the OP. For me, they were decent, but seemed overpriced given the performance of competitors at the same and lesser prices.
I see we find the same qualities in The Turandot: detailed, quite balanced and forward.

I knew the Lyra would not please or impress everyone. I find them great for air and soundstage... AKG K701 style (with the same caveats) but they are indeed a bit overpriced and i have to admit, thinking about it, that i dont use them so much since i have more funny beasts (Turandot, Shozy BK, Yinman 600, Rikubuds GrandRider1, Newbesound 32Pro...)

There are so many buds i dont know but as far as i know, i would Indeed stick with the DQSM Turandot for classical (DQSM PD21 seem great too for classical or jazz, but i did not hear them)

Edit: i did not think to recommend the Yinman 600 for classical...they are great if you liké a laid black experience (it has already been said earlier)...but...well...600 ohms, low sensitivity...not many mobile amplifiers can handle them (Xduoo xd5 Plus, Topping G5, etc.)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #68,763 of 75,781
I guess everything will either break on you, bother your ears or be outside your budget. Good luck in your search.

EDIT: I don't want to appear like I'm being negative or anything. The reality is that flat head earbuds have become a niche market item, not as mainstream as years gone by. You can still find new old stock (NOS) sports flat head earbuds by searching ebay. The ones that I found that are still available for purchase was by a google search for "wired sports earbuds" and then clicking "Images". If it was 2010 - 2015 right now instead of 2023, there would be many more choices for you. You might find a set that fits all your criteria on AliExpress as well.
And that's why i wrote here. Since i cannot find anything, maybe here somebody knew some model that might fit. Since i changed dozens of earbuds and none lasted long i was looking to find something decent that won't break the bank. And all i was looking for was just a classic style earbuds that sound good and of good quality, you guys mentioned the hook and all that stuff, not me. I just asked normal earphone, then the slip thing is my problem. Kinda strange there's no earphone around that budget but there are way more expensive one and other very cheap. I'm just tired to collect broken earphones
IMG_20230320_221147.jpg

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #68,764 of 75,781
I agree with @imackler on the FF3 rec. They're very smooth and a great pair of earbuds. The Yinman 600s have a smooth and inoffensive treble presentation as well, but they require some pretty powerful amplification to run. The Ucotech ES-P1s are one of my favorite pairs of buds that have a laid back treble with some roll off, but they are also quite expensive at $385 currently from Ucotech through Amazon. The Shozy BKs come to mind as bud with some warmth that maintains treble extension but keeps it very smooth and non-fatiguing which is one of the things I like most about them.

Some more may come to mind at some point and I'll be sure to post again if they do.

The FF3's sound varies greatly based on the foams used. Very inoffensive treble, especially with the non-crispy foams. Even though I am somewhat sensitive to highs, I needed a bit more kick out of the treble with the FF3's, so I love the crispy foams (still makes me laugh to say "crispy foams"!)

Hey Bud-dies,

I am looking to upgrade my Faaeal Iris 2.0s! My budget is ~$100 and don't really mind going up to $130. I only have access to Amazon US. I don't like foams since they tend to fall out and I don't really care about bass. My options are:

Ksearphone Bell LB S - $65
Smabat M2 Pro - (~$50-65?)
Fiio FF3 - $100
Fiio FF5 - $130

If there is another worthwhile earbud I didn't mention, please LMK. Also, is the VE Monk plus worth buying just for fun? If it isn't competitive, then I'll skip it.

Do yourself a favour and get the FF3's.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #68,765 of 75,781
The FF3's sound varies greatly based on the foams used. Very inoffensive treble, especially with the non-crispy foams. Even though I am somewhat sensitive to highs, I needed a bit more kick out of the treble with the FF3's, so I love the crispy foams (still makes me laugh to say "crispy foams"!)

Do yourself a favour and get the FF3's.

Totally agree. First, I too love the crispy foams. 😉 Second, the FF3s are where the special sauce is at the the Fiio FF series.

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #68,767 of 75,781
Gonna have to get my FF5 a little sibling I guess…

You absolutely should. There's nothing else out there that sounds like the FF3s. The FF5s are a good pair of earbuds, but they're a much more common tuning and presentation. The FF3s really have this dynamic power and big presentation accompanied by a punchy, articulate low end that makes them essentially unique in my experience with earbuds. IMO, the FF3s are a must have for an earbud lineup.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #68,768 of 75,781
And that's why i wrote here. Since i cannot find anything, maybe here somebody knew some model that might fit. Since i changed dozens of earbuds and none lasted long i was looking to find something decent that won't break the bank. And all i was looking for was just a classic style earbuds that sound good and of good quality, you guys mentioned the hook and all that stuff, not me. I just asked normal earphone, then the slip thing is my problem. Kinda strange there's no earphone around that budget but there are way more expensive one and other very cheap. I'm just tired to collect broken earphonesIMG_20230320_221147.jpg
Why not the Penon PAC Earbuds?
Love those: métal build, replacable cable, warm sound, innofensive but quite clear treble.

This is a very fun and pleasant pair of earbuds.

The Penon PAC are listed for 50 Buck without cable BUT if you buy on Penon an ISM or Penon Cable (they have very nice cables for about 25 euros)...you get a free pair if Penon PAC.
You'll get a very good pair of buds with a top notch replacable cable for a very reasonable price!

I know, it's quite an unusual suggestion, but the Penon PAC are among the few metal build, confortable earbuds with a replacable cable at this Price, i think it is a bargain...

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #68,769 of 75,781
I'll second the Penon PAC Earbuds. I will say however that the free cables are a little heavy for me, so you might want to swap it for a lighter cable if you already have one.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #68,770 of 75,781
That is a very good question! Maybe write to PA and ask them what the differences are?! I am kind of curious myself now... LOL

The only differences on their AE add (from the way I read it) is that the SE have both a contemporary and old school feel to them. That and the fact that the SE have OFC cable, where the regular ones don't say materials, other than 8 core.
Had two conflicting (and not that helpful) answers from the only two sellers on Aliexpress

Good Sound Audio - only the cable is different
Penon Audio - sound signature is different as cable is different
I asked if this meant that only the cable is different and the headphone itself is the same and the reply was - sound signature of the bud is also different.

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I guess we are now waiting on a forum member who has experienced both the BK & BKSE to settle this...

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #68,771 of 75,781
Why not the Penon PAC Earbuds?
Love those: métal build, replacable cable, warm sound, innofensive but quite clear treble.

This is a very fun and pleasant pair of earbuds.

The Penon PAC are listed for 50 Buck without cable BUT if you buy on Penon an ISM or Penon Cable (they have very nice cables for about 25 euros)...you get a free pair if Penon PAC.
You'll get a very good pair of buds with a top notch replacable cable for a very reasonable price!

I know, it's quite an unusual suggestion, but the Penon PAC are among the few metal build, confortable earbuds with a replacable cable at this Price, i think it is a bargain...
Well, that looks quite nice! Can someone who has it confirm about its durability? I've had the jcally ep05 of that type of build (one of the ones on photo), but they make false contact and it's nerving to use, since it keeps false connecting and changing tracks without me doing anything! Also, which cable you suggest? Since i mainly use it in a carrying bag like this https://images.app.goo.gl/thqSmvHu9hkoaVuq6 i guess 90 degrees cable is the best way to go, also cause the bag is kinda tight!

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #68,772 of 75,781
You absolutely should. There's nothing else out there that sounds like the FF3s. The FF5s are a good pair of earbuds, but they're a much more common tuning and presentation. The FF3s really have this dynamic power and big presentation accompanied by a punchy, articulate low end that makes them essentially unique in my experience with earbuds. IMO, the FF3s are a must have for an earbud lineup.
I've not heard the FF5s yet but have to agree that the FF3s are something really special. To the point that I remember the first time I listened to them. I've never had the YouTube crying moment with any audio equipment but the FF3s made me laugh out loud at how good they were and so ahead of any other buds I'd listened to. Can I ask advice from any FF5 owners? Are they worth picking up or should I save my pennies and buy something else (TGXEar Serratus?)? Cheers.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #68,773 of 75,781
And that's why i wrote here. Since i cannot find anything, maybe here somebody knew some model that might fit. Since i changed dozens of earbuds and none lasted long i was looking to find something decent that won't break the bank. And all i was looking for was just a classic style earbuds that sound good and of good quality, you guys mentioned the hook and all that stuff, not me. I just asked normal earphone, then the slip thing is my problem. Kinda strange there's no earphone around that budget but there are way more expensive one and other very cheap. I'm just tired to collect broken earphonesIMG_20230320_221147.jpg
The problem is that the price range you are looking at, there aren't a WHOLE lot of options to check all of your demands while also retaining good sound quality. Most (but not all) in this "budget" range are mass produced, or cloned, and/or are built very cheaply. Also, and I mean no offense by this, but maybe you should try and baby your gear a little better?! It sounds like you are pretty rough on them, and I am not sure that any of the ones mentioned would last you. With a removeable cable I fear that the MMCX connector would fail on you (with the apparent rough handling that they might receive), and there aren't a LOT of options for 2 pin and good sounding buds, especially in your price range.
Gonna have to get my FF5 a little sibling I guess…
There is really no reason not to. They are different from the FF5, so at the very least you will have a complimentary set.

This is one of the very few sets that @JAnonymous5150 and I slightly disagree upon (respectfully). I find the FF5 to sound better to my ears for what I listen to than the FF3 (but I DO listen to a lot of metal). Put it this way, I would NOT give up my FF3 at this point. They are indeed simply fantastic earbuds, and worthy of being on any person's rotation IMHO.

And, let's not forget about the upcoming FF1 (speaking of siblings).... :wink: And who knows what these are going to sound like?!

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #68,774 of 75,781
I've not heard the FF5s yet but have to agree that the FF3s are something really special. To the point that I remember the first time I listened to them. I've never had the YouTube crying moment with any audio equipment but the FF3s made me laugh out loud at how good they were and so ahead of any other buds I'd listened to. Can I ask advice from any FF5 owners? Are they worth picking up or should I save my pennies and buy something else (TGXEar Serratus?)? Cheers.
As mentioned in my post right above this one, both sets are very much worth owning. They are different enough from one another that they are complimentary rather than an upgrade of the same sound (or downgrade depending on how you look at it). Both have fantastic virtues in their own way. They DO both share some elements of each other (FiiO house sound), but you wouldn't put one then the other in your ears and say "Oh, these are basically the same sound" at all (IMHO).

Both sets are in the TOTL realm for earbud sound quality and build. If you are looking to add another set, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the FF5. To me, this is very much like the Yincrow RW2000 and RW3000 because those (also) are both worth owning, and for the same reasons.

I hope that was somewhat helpful to you?! :)

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #68,775 of 75,781
Well, that looks quite nice! Can someone who has it confirm about its durability? I've had the jcally ep05 of that type of build (one of the ones on photo), but they make false contact and it's nerving to use, since it keeps false connecting and changing tracks without me doing anything! Also, which cable you suggest? Since i mainly use it in a carrying bag like this https://images.app.goo.gl/thqSmvHu9hkoaVuq6 i guess 90 degrees cable is the best way to go, also cause the bag is kinda tight!
Penon PAC Earbuds have low quality mmcx connectors (they are too fragile and come loose easily), my right earphone had contact problems after just a short time of use. Their sound is heavily on the dark side, lacking sparkle, detail due to significant treble recession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back