Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 19, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #68,731 of 75,716
I can't stand in ear, i can never find them comfortable. I always run in park or sidewalks anyway and i am very careful when crossing street. I know in ear are better but just aren't for me

wireless would have been more comfortable, but they keep breaking so i'm doubtful that with 50 euro i can find something decent. So i guess cabled is the best way to go. I would apply some antislip silicone thingy to it to keep it in the ear if they fall out. So yeah, classic ones
I have been using SoundPEATS mini pro hs for several months, and they seem pretty solid. They are very good value for money!

Edit: Forgot that the OP @Shady88 can't stand IEMs. Unfortunately, even their "hanging" designs like Air 3 Deluxe Capsule 3 Pro have silicone eartips that insert into the ear canal.

It sounds like TWS adapters like the Fiio UTW series (https://www.fiio.com/utws5) might be a good option for you. I think a few posters here have used them - not sure who though!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #68,732 of 75,716
Agreed with @ttorbic Soundpeats offer great value around this price point, can be found on both Aliexpress & Amazon in Europe and have an app which has actually operational. functional abilities absent in some higher end models.

They are also one of the only manufacturers making different styles of TWS - traditional resin IEM, mini sleep buds, bullet, AirPod pro style with tips and also earbudesque (Airpod style without the tips) TWS. So hopefully one variety would work for you.

Air 3 Deluxe are the earbudesque model - they have LDAC & can be bought for between €35-€55 depending on the sale. May be an option if more traditional IEM styles do not work for you - but I would imagine they would move around your ear when active so you may need some silicone ear hooks to keep them in place.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #68,733 of 75,716
I can't stand in ear, i can never find them comfortable. I always run in park or sidewalks anyway and i am very careful when crossing street. I know in ear are better but just aren't for me

wireless would have been more comfortable, but they keep breaking so i'm doubtful that with 50 euro i can find something decent. So i guess cabled is the best way to go. I would apply some antislip silicone thingy to it to keep it in the ear if they fall out. So yeah, classic ones
You could always go with a set of Yincrows (either RW2000 or RW3000) that you wear over ear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about them falling out while being active. Both of these have a nice treble section. Though the RW3000 have a more forward treble presentation, there is nothing peaking in it. Very clear and present (though never sibilant) but still smooth. The RW2000 is quite a bit more relaxed and laid back in its presentation, though again it (also) isn't peaky.

Keep in mind though that if you are talking about some peakiness in the upper mids and lower treble, all of the previous suggestions have a bit of it (if you are sensitive to it like I am). This includes the aforementioned FF3. If you want smooth from the upper mids all the way through, the FiiO FF5, Yinman 2.0 600, and Moondrop Chaconne are your best bets (IMHO). The Chaconne won't work very well for you as a work-out bud though (even though they have the best tuned mids and treble presentation that you can get IMO). The Yinman are the lightest of the three. The problem with them having hardly any weight is that they are SO light that they also don't stay put very well with a lot of movement. You need something with a bit of weight to grip to your ears like the FF3 (which fit me the best of all the ones mentioned). But the FF3 might be too heavy and the stem too long to be able to stay put while running.

To revisit the Yincrows, they are very light, but their cable is the over-ear style so they would really only fall out of your ears if you are dumping your head completely horizontally and shaking it (something to that effect). If you are just running/jogging, I would argue that these would be the best bet for fitment, and maybe even the best (compromise for) sound with the features you need.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #68,734 of 75,716
I have been using SoundPEATS mini pro hs for several months, and they seem pretty solid. They are very good value for money!

Edit: Forgot that the OP @Shady88 can't stand IEMs. Unfortunately, even their "hanging" designs like Air 3 Deluxe have silicone eartips that insert into the ear canal.

It sounds like TWS adapters like the Fiio UTW series (https://www.fiio.com/utws5) might be a good option for you. I think a few posters here have used them - not sure who though!
The Air 3 deluxe are without any ear tips - they are in the style of original AirPods but the shell is smaller with a more ergonomic fit.

I believe that you may be referring to the Capsule 3 Pro which is an Airpod Pro style earbud with silicone ear tips.

The naming can be a little confusing due to the amount of models they offer

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #68,735 of 75,716
The Air 3 deluxe are without any ear tips - they are in the style of original AirPods but the shell is smaller with a more ergonomic fit.

I believe that you may be referring to the Capsule 3 Pro which is an Airpod Pro style earbud with silicone ear tips.

The naming can be a little confusing due to the amount of models they offer
Ah thanks for catching my mistake - I've edited my post :)

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #68,736 of 75,716
I would apply some antislip silicone thingy to it to keep it in the ear if they fall out. So yeah, classic ones
IMG_20230319_210019_edit_106428257482195.jpg

Using something like this help a lot.
I don't know what it's called

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #68,738 of 75,716

Also there is this (that I use for those that just won't cooperate) that pretty much guarantee they won't move:

My kit came with many different sizes of "C" hooks (and a spare over-ear hook) to ensure fitment to pretty much any bud you want to throw these on.
20210803_122441.jpg

20210803_122429.jpg

20210803_122349.jpg

Edit: These won't work for any of the MX style shells because the body behind the grill is too fat and there is no place to attach the hook.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #68,739 of 75,716
Off Topic Post: Here's a teaser pic of a Push-Pull Class A tube amp I'm currently putting together. Buds, IEMs and headphones should sound nice through this amp.

Some news on this "promising" build.

I setup the board for L/R inputs, L/R outputs and AC power and was gonna do the power on test and see what this HP amp sounds like...

Sadly the toroidal power transformer is bad. The secondary winding for the B+ supply is open circuit, so no voltage out for the B+ supply. Well, it was nice to see the filaments glowing, but nothing else.

I sent an email to Oatley Electronics requesting a warranty replacement of the transformer. Hope to hear back from them soon.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #68,740 of 75,716
Any recommendations for earbuds for classical and ambient music? Loving the serratus for both genres at the moment but would like to try other buds

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #68,741 of 75,716
Any recommendations for earbuds for classical and ambient music? Loving the serratus for both genres at the moment but would like to try other buds
For me there is no better for classical type and analog instrument music than the Moondrop Chaconne. Some reviews HERE. There ARE others that are good, but these are the best of the best for that type of music (IMHO).

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #68,742 of 75,716
So I was curious about some earbud 'tips' that I found on AliX, and ordered some along with a batch of DIY materials. I a couple to some DIY buds to see what would happen, which was surprisingly difficult. They're very tight and not very stretchy so you need to choose a shell where the faceplates are on tight, otherwise you risk tiwstong or even removing the faceplate. You also need to ensure you get the 'nozzle' at the right angle on the first try as there's no moving it once it's on.
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_fe3076fe-c957-4016-abdf-d43000feac32.jpg

How is the fit? Fine (for me, YMMV), quite secure and because the nozzle is quite shallow and flexible it's noticably different that most IEMs.

How do they sound? To borrow from Crinacle: screw you, BASS. Like, I think these are bassier than your typical KZ levels of bassy, considerably so. It's hard to judge what these 'tips' do to the rest of the FR spectrum because the bass is just so overwhelming. I'm not entirely sure what they do to soundstage either because frankly I don't care to listen to these critically.

Do I recommend them? No. I have no idea why these are included in some DIY sets, or why anyone would use these on earbuds they like. That said, they're a fun novelty and I'm gonna keep them for their ridiculousness value.

If anyone's in the UK I've got 4 more pairs of these I'll be happy to send one to anyone that wants to try them.

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #68,743 of 75,716
Those looks so amazing! But still, i can't stand the in ear silicon, i keep touching and touching it every 30 seconds, so that isn't for me!
Air 3 Deluxe are the earbudesque model - they have LDAC & can be bought for between €35-€55 depending on the sale. May be an option if more traditional IEM styles do not work for you - but I would imagine they would move around your ear when active so you may need some silicone ear hooks to keep them in place.
yes, that's the type of earphone shape i can stand best! Of course with the silicone anti slip thingy, but only the part that goes inside the ear, and cutting off the "wing" because it doesn't stay in the right place where the earphone stays still. It still falls from the ear sometimes around the end of the run, but still is good enough. I think i may have an untipical ear shape.
I honestly am really doubtful that anything in my price range would last that much, since all earphones i had broke themselves. From the more costly ones to the cheap. I've had xiaomi air 2s (china version and eu version), tronsmart onyx ace,plus many other cabled ones like memt t5 (SPECTACULAR SOUND for their price, but lasted like 3 weeks), jcally ep05, ve monk plus, honor earbuds that come with new smartphones..I've heard about soundpeats so much, since much sites who review hi-fi headhphones has reviewed and rated some of their products as best buys for the price range, but still they were in ear amd i can't find one sites who has a particular category for "old style" earphone to choose from
You could always go with a set of Yincrows (either RW2000 or RW3000) that you wear over ear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about them falling out while being active. Both of these have a nice treble section. Though the RW3000 have a more forward treble presentation, there is nothing peaking in it. Very clear and present (though never sibilant) but still smooth. The RW2000 is quite a bit more relaxed and laid back in its presentation, though again it (also) isn't peaky.

Keep in mind though that if you are talking about some peakiness in the upper mids and lower treble, all of the previous suggestions have a bit of it (if you are sensitive to it like I am). This includes the aforementioned FF3. If you want smooth from the upper mids all the way through, the FiiO FF5, Yinman 2.0 600, and Moondrop Chaconne are your best bets (IMHO). The Chaconne won't work very well for you as a work-out bud though (even though they have the best tuned mids and treble presentation that you can get IMO). The Yinman are the lightest of the three. The problem with them having hardly any weight is that they are SO light that they also don't stay put very well with a lot of movement. You need something with a bit of weight to grip to your ears like the FF3 (which fit me the best of all the ones mentioned). But the FF3 might be too heavy and the stem too long to be able to stay put while running.

To revisit the Yincrows, they are very light, but their cable is the over-ear style so they would really only fall out of your ears if you are dumping your head completely horizontally and shaking it (something to that effect). If you are just running/jogging, I would argue that these would be the best bet for fitment, and maybe even the best (compromise for) sound with the features you need.
Dude, you went way out of budget with these! Lol. I only have a around 50 euro budget (must be around 55 usd)
I just need good durable earbuds for training who's about 50 euro.
Plus, most of the ones you posted are 600 ohm, so are difficult to drive, and i'll be using it with a low end smartphone. I doubt they will even remotely perform any good
IMG_20230319_210019_edit_106428257482195.jpg
I've had that (that goes with the entire earphone, not just the outside) but it seems my ear shape is atipical, i find those not really helpful to keep in place, so i cut off the "wings"
Noone can give an advice to what cabled earphone i could consider? Just mind that i use it on a low end smarthphone (so they need to be easy to drive) and i mainly listen to metal and hip-hop.
That air 3 deluxe looks just what i need, but i still don't know if i should risk a wireless earphone a 4th time. I don't want to spend that money every 6 months

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #68,744 of 75,716
Hey Bud-dies,

I am looking to upgrade my Faaeal Iris 2.0s! My budget is ~$100 and don't really mind going up to $130. I only have access to Amazon US. I don't like foams since they tend to fall out and I don't really care about bass. My options are:

Ksearphone Bell LB S - $65
Smabat M2 Pro - (~$50-65?)
Fiio FF3 - $100
Fiio FF5 - $130

If there is another worthwhile earbud I didn't mention, please LMK. Also, is the VE Monk plus worth buying just for fun? If it isn't competitive, then I'll skip it.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #68,745 of 75,716

DQSM Turandot. I think I may be the only person on the planet who isn't wowed by the Chaconnes though I can see why others like them as much as they do and think they're a great suggestion, but since getting the Turandots they are my go to for the types of music you mentioned. They can go from delicate/ethereal to dynamic and powerful at the drop of a hat. They recreate space and atmosphere very well.

Edit: Also depending on how treble sensitive you are, the Rose Technics Maria IIs can be very good with these kinds of genres though they are quite bright and have a uniquely delicate presentation so they certainly aren't for everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back