Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #68,776 of 75,719
Totally different animals here.

Where the Chaconne are bright yet smooth with buttery mids and super airyness, the Yinman are warm and smooth with very nice bass presentation (also with buttery mids). The Chaconne are much more tonally accurate and revealing in both macro and micro details and second harmonics (having much cleaner and forward treble). Technicalities are also top notch on the Chaconne (and that is saying a lot since the Yinman are still currently my favorite overall buds). The Chaconne are so crystal clear in their presentation it really is surprising that they don't become fatiguing (and they really don't IMO), and you would think that they HAVE to be aggressive to be this clear, but they aren't really. The Yinman are much more laid back and have more of a fun sound presentation but are also surprisingly clear given their tone. I would use the Chaconne for critical listening, but probably not the Yinman; though you COULD use them for that, they are just more akin to musical.

For overall versatility the Yinman trump the Chaconne, but for anything with analog instruments or classical, the Chaconne come out on top... Bottom line is if you are looking for a set JUST for that certain type of music get the Chaconne, but if you are looking to be able to listen to it all equally well then, the Yinman will cover it. Make no mistake, the Chaconne can be an "all-rounder", but you will need to boost the bass to do it. The bass is all there, but at a level that you won't be happy with on music that relies on it. With classical music the bass is definitely conveyed as it should be, but anything with major thump and rumble will be in the Yinmans department; having some really deep and visceral bass when called for.

As for staging, there is only one set better and that is the Maria II. And even then, it is REALLY close. Our own @WoodyLuvr once called the Maria II the queen of soundstage, and the Chaconne the King (IIRC).... The good part is that there really is no compromise to this staging, and it doesn't sound fake. While the Yinman can convey staging, imaging, dynamics, etc... very well, honestly, it can't touch the Chaconne in this realm. What the Yinman have over the Chaconne is the pure tuning across the board, rather than more mids and treble like the Chaconne focus on. They are very pleasing in their character, and you just never want to take them out of your ears. :)

More diffuse sound = Chaconne
Full all around sound = Yinman

Hope that didn't confuse?! :wink:
Nice write up! While I don't have the Yinman, with the Moondrop I find it's that lesser quantity of bass that really allows voices to shine. The Moondrop just has godly vocals, especially on acoustic tracks.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #68,777 of 75,719
Nice write up! While I don't have the Yinman, with the Moondrop I find it's that lesser quantity of bass that really allows voices to shine. The Moondrop just has godly vocals, especially on acoustic tracks.
Thank you very much! :)

I totally agree with you on this. That lesser quantity (but great quality) of bass does indeed allow the rest of the spectrum to shine. I still maintain that the mids and highs on these are tuned as well or better than any head gear I have ever heard (headphones/IEMs included). If I could get a set of headphones that sounded just like this (the OG HD800 do come close) with the technicalities that they possess, then those would be end game for the niche that they fit into (for me).

Enjoy your Chaconne bro, I know I still do (a lot)! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #68,778 of 75,719
Ever since @JAnonymous5150 praised them, I will never not shill these 80Ohm DIY LCP earbuds. Just a good set of well-balanced, natural sounding buds that are my current go-to pair (although they do face some competition from some DIY 130Ohm bery I made a couple of weeks ago).
Yup, 80 Ohm LCPs are on the recommend list.

The 80ohm LPC earbuds have arrived today.

I'm honestly disappointed. They feel premium, the cable is very nice, but they just sound bad.

Muffled with foams on, thin and lifeless without foams. Every aspect except maybe the bass is way worse on these compared to my cheaper Yincrow X6 and Fengru TC200.

They're just this weird mess of sounding good in a few aspects, and really bad in others.
Do i have to burn them in? I've never really believed in that stuff

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #68,779 of 75,719
The 80ohm LPC earbuds have arrived today.

I'm honestly disappointed. They feel premium, the cable is very nice, but they just sound bad.

Muffled with foams on, thin and lifeless without foams. Every aspect except maybe the bass is way worse on these compared to my cheaper Yincrow X6 and Fengru TC200.

They're just this weird mess of sounding good in a few aspects, and really bad in others.
Do i have to burn them in? I've never really believed in that stuff
Hmm, that's odd. Some people say (sceptics, even) that LCP drivers especially do exhibit burn-in characteristics. I personally haven't noticed a difference and thought they sounded good OOTB, and a definite improvement over the X6.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #68,780 of 75,719
And that's why i wrote here. Since i cannot find anything, maybe here somebody knew some model that might fit. Since i changed dozens of earbuds and none lasted long i was looking to find something decent that won't break the bank. And all i was looking for was just a classic style earbuds that sound good and of good quality, you guys mentioned the hook and all that stuff, not me. I just asked normal earphone, then the slip thing is my problem. Kinda strange there's no earphone around that budget but there are way more expensive one and other very cheap. I'm just tired to collect broken earphonesIMG_20230320_221147.jpg
As a lifelong runner, I'll just add one more take, in case it helps. I cannot run with MX500-type earbuds, but I can run with the qian39. The subtle difference in the shape gives it a perfect level of fit and comfort (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about that bud), so it stays in place. And the sound quality is very good for ten bucks.

Can't tell you how well it would work for you, but it might be worth a shot at that price?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805079144808.html

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #68,782 of 75,719
The problem is that the price range you are looking at, there aren't a WHOLE lot of options to check all of your demands while also retaining good sound quality. Most (but not all) in this "budget" range are mass produced, or cloned, and/or are built very cheaply. Also, and I mean no offense by this, but maybe you should try and baby your gear a little better?! It sounds like you are pretty rough on them, and I am not sure that any of the ones mentioned would last you. With a removeable cable I fear that the MMCX connector would fail on you (with the apparent rough handling that they might receive), and there aren't a LOT of options for 2 pin and good sounding buds, especially in your price range.
Well, i meant good audio quality like not audiophile quality (i'm using a dang 80 euro xiaomi phone, i can't demand audiophile performance with such a device), but simply something that will sound balanced enough to enjoy music with it sounding decent. I'm demanding just cause i thought it would be easier, so i guess in the end i should try the soundpeats and hope they will last some time, since it seems there is no decent earbud with my budget
Penon PAC Earbuds have low quality mmcx connectors (they are too fragile and come loose easily), my right earphone had contact problems after just a short time of use. Their sound is heavily on the dark side, lacking sparkle, detail due to significant treble recession.
Thank god you told me, cause i was really thinking of getting it. Trap avoided
As a lifelong runner, I'll just add one more take, in case it helps. I cannot run with MX500-type earbuds, but I can run with the qian39. The subtle difference in the shape gives it a perfect level of fit and comfort (and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about that bud), so it stays in place. And the sound quality is very good for ten bucks.

Can't tell you how well it would work for you, but it might be worth a shot at that price?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805079144808.html
Yes, that's what i'm actually doing with earphones who comes with new phones, until they break
But it's a bit annoying, i would have preferred to spend more one time and being with it for 1/2 years and not think about it anymore

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #68,783 of 75,719
Well, i meant good audio quality like not audiophile quality (i'm using a dang 80 euro xiaomi phone, i can't demand audiophile performance with such a device), but simply something that will sound balanced enough to enjoy music with it sounding decent.
Ah! Understood. Apologies if I misunderstood. :)

I have another set in mind that might fit the bill (for being tough) then, but they do NOT have a removeable cable. Those are the NichHCK EB2S. They are all aluminum shells, and sound really good for something like $20. The cable (while fixed) is sort of flat(ish), making it more pliable but remaining tough in build/materials. These can be driven from a phone very well also. I have found them very hard to damage in any way thus far (I wear mine to work, where I am either in a boiler room programming or working on mechanical equipment, or climbing up and down a ladder all day long).

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #68,784 of 75,719
Penon PAC Earbuds have low quality mmcx connectors (they are too fragile and come loose easily), my right earphone had contact problems after just a short time of use. Their sound is heavily on the dark side, lacking sparkle, detail due to significant treble recession.
I respectfully disagree.
About sound, i suppose everyone has his own preferences but i find them rather good on a technical level for anyone liking laid black and warm sound. In the 50 bucks range, they are fairly priced, i think.

About quality of the MMCX, well...i've never had any problem with them (i know, it does not mean no one will!) but, the connectors, even if they are a bit stiff when they are brand new, seem quite ok to me. I did not hear about faulty connectors on the web about the PAC, but well, problems of Q/C may always happen, i suppose.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #68,785 of 75,719
I've not heard the FF5s yet but have to agree that the FF3s are something really special. To the point that I remember the first time I listened to them. I've never had the YouTube crying moment with any audio equipment but the FF3s made me laugh out loud at how good they were and so ahead of any other buds I'd listened to. Can I ask advice from any FF5 owners? Are they worth picking up or should I save my pennies and buy something else (TGXEar Serratus?)? Cheers.

FWIW, I agree with @samandhi and I think that the FF5s are quite a bit different and worth owning. When I talk about them somehow people are getting the idea that I don't like them. That's not the case. I just think they have a very standard tuning such that you can find many buds that are quite similar. That said, it's a standard kinda tuning for a reason and I think any complete bud collection should have a bud tuned similarly the FF5s (blanced, clear, detailed, and inoffensive) in it. The FF5 is a perfectly good option for that style of tuning and I think it's a damn cool lookin' earbud.

When I mention the FF3s having the special sauce that's not a knock on the FF5s. It's just my way of pointing out that the FF3s are unique in what they do and how they do it. And, as highlighted by @samandhi in his post, that's all just my opinion and I don't claim that it's a better opinion than anyone else's. You'd need to find a reviewer for that...😜

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #68,786 of 75,719
Totally different animals here.

Where the Chaconne are bright yet smooth with buttery mids and super airyness, the Yinman are warm and smooth with very nice bass presentation (also with buttery mids). The Chaconne are much more tonally accurate and revealing in both macro and micro details and second harmonics (having much cleaner and forward treble). Technicalities are also top notch on the Chaconne (and that is saying a lot since the Yinman are still currently my favorite overall buds). The Chaconne are so crystal clear in their presentation it really is surprising that they don't become fatiguing (and they really don't IMO), and you would think that they HAVE to be aggressive to be this clear, but they aren't really. The Yinman are much more laid back and have more of a fun sound presentation but are also surprisingly clear given their tone. I would use the Chaconne for critical listening, but probably not the Yinman; though you COULD use them for that, they are just more akin to musical.

For overall versatility the Yinman trump the Chaconne, but for anything with analog instruments or classical, the Chaconne come out on top... Bottom line is if you are looking for a set JUST for that certain type of music get the Chaconne, but if you are looking to be able to listen to it all equally well then, the Yinman will cover it. Make no mistake, the Chaconne can be an "all-rounder", but you will need to boost the bass to do it. The bass is all there, but at a level that you won't be happy with on music that relies on it. With classical music the bass is definitely conveyed as it should be, but anything with major thump and rumble will be in the Yinmans department; having some really deep and visceral bass when called for.

As for staging, there is only one set better and that is the Maria II. And even then, it is REALLY close. Our own @WoodyLuvr once called the Maria II the queen of soundstage, and the Chaconne the King (IIRC).... The good part is that there really is no compromise to this staging, and it doesn't sound fake. While the Yinman can convey staging, imaging, dynamics, etc... very well, honestly, it can't touch the Chaconne in this realm. What the Yinman have over the Chaconne is the pure tuning across the board, rather than more mids and treble like the Chaconne focus on. They are very pleasing in their character, and you just never want to take them out of your ears. :)

More diffuse sound = Chaconne
Full all around sound = Yinman

Hope that didn't confuse?! :wink:
That‘s very thorough. thank you very much.

I will have to get both then 😁😁

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #68,788 of 75,719
FWIW, I agree with @samandhi and I think that the FF5s are quite a bit different and worth owning. When I talk about them somehow people are getting the idea that I don't like them. That's not the case. I just think they have a very standard tuning such that you can find many buds that are quite similar. That said, it's a standard kinda tuning for a reason and I think any complete bud collection should have a bud tuned similarly the FF5s (blanced, clear, detailed, and inoffensive) in it. The FF5 is a perfectly good option for that style of tuning and I think it's a damn cool lookin' earbud.

When I mention the FF3s having the special sauce that's not a knock on the FF5s. It's just my way of pointing out that the FF3s are unique in what they do and how they do it. And, as highlighted by @samandhi in his post, that's all just my opinion and I don't claim that it's a better opinion than anyone else's. You'd need to find a reviewer for that...😜
I certainly hope you didn't take my post to mean that?! If you (or anyone else) took it that way, then I apologize for not being clearer. What I meant to say (simply) is that you and I are flip-flopped with the FF3 and FF5 and nothing more (as are we on the RW2000 and RW3000 :)) even though we both like BOTH sets... :v:

BTW! Hope your trip is going well, we don't get to have the convos we had before and I miss it... Stay safe out there! :)

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #68,789 of 75,719
I certainly hope you didn't take my post to mean that?! If you (or anyone else) took it that way, then I apologize for not being clearer. What I meant to say (simply) is that you and I are flip-flopped with the FF3 and FF5 and nothing more (as are we on the RW2000 and RW3000 :)) even though we both like BOTH sets... :v:

BTW! Hope your trip is going well, we don't get to have the convos we had before and I miss it... Stay safe out there! :)

Me too, bro! And no, I wasn't responding specifically to you with that part of the post. I have been through several posts and PMs over the past few weeks where I get that impression so I just wanted to try to clarify again. That's all!

Everything's going great, BTW! Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be around more in June when I have a few weeks off.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #68,790 of 75,719
Thanks to some TMJ and inner-ear issues, I moved away from IEMs and started dabbling in earbuds for the first time in about 20 years, trying all of the usual suspects under $20 and really enjoying the (mostly) pain-free listening experience. I got a few Amazon gift cards for my birthday last month and decided to move into the deeper end of the earbud pool by getting the FF3...which lead to me getting the FF5...and now I've got TGXear, VE, YInman, and a few others on the way. My point being, the FF3 wowed me to the point that I moved out of the pool and went deep sea diving. It seriously has me re-thinking even having over-ear phones - so convenient and comfortable and its sound signature is almost perfect for me. Just a warning to anyone that might pick up a pair - there's no going back! :)

And a quick thank you to everyone on here whose reviews, advice, and discussions I have absorbed while lurking all of these years. My wallet hates it, but I greatly appreciate all of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back