Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #74,012 of 75,202
In the meantime, I just got my Christmas Present from @FranQL today in the mail. I haven't had a ton of time on them yet (obviously) but I have to say that now having the full set of four buds, I need nothing else in the way of earbuds. These cover all the different sounds I might want to have, and whatever they don't the others I have fill those cracks.

These are simply high-end buds in every way. Along with his master class tuning, he has found the perfect combination of good quality drivers with the perfect shell for each model and the goal that was sought after. So, the list of unique and TOTL buds (though not exhaustive of all of his fantastic collection) are:
  • Aquila
  • Caelum
  • Draco
  • Blue Moon (Hydra was the original fourth, but was discontinued due to Fran not being completely satisfied with them)
If you are lucky enough to get your hands on any of these, you can trust me, for what their intention was in the sound, there are NO better (qualifier = that I have heard). There may/may not be better, but I am not willing to pay the exorbitant amount of money to experiment. In the simplest terms; these are end game buds, all four (IMHO).

Here are some photos of the latest (apologies for not being as good as others on here), Blue Moon and Draco:

20231221_111658.jpg
20231221_110823.jpg
20231221_111808.jpg
20231221_110854.jpg
20231221_111751.jpg
Please suggest how can i order Draco ?

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #74,013 of 75,202
VERY different buds. The ES-P2s are laid back, warm, and fairly reserved in the treble. The stage on them is wide and tall and timbre is a little warmer and more lush than what's absolutely accurate. They're also reasonably detailed, but they aren't technical monsters by any means and probably not a go to pair of buds for any critical listening. They're fantastic for jazz, blues/blues rock, and acoustic stuff in particular.

The RW-3000s, on the other hand, are well extended at both ends. The treble isn't sibilant, fatiguing, or harsh (quite the opposite in fact), but it makes it's presence known and contributed to their overall clarity. I find the RW-3000s to be musical with a kiss of warmth, but not near the warmth of the ES-P2s. The bass on the RW-3000s goes low and has good punch and articulation, but doesn't reach the boosted quantity, heft, or weighty presence of the bass on the ES-P2s. The soundstage isn't as wide as the stage on the Ucotechs, but it extends well in all three directions (width, depth, and height) and the timbre is damned near dead on accurate. They're also considerable more resolving than the ES-P2s.

In short, the ES-P2s are a very colored pair of buds that has to be right for the mood and the music and when they are the right pick, they're really something special. The RW-3000s are the consummate all-rounder: natural, balanced, technically proficient, and accurate. They give you back a very exact representation of what you feed them without coloring, boosting, or adding much of anything and they do it as well as just about any pair of buds and better than any pair I have heard for a similar price. Both are fantastic and I love having them in my collection, but they serve completely different purposes for me.
Totally agree very word 😄😄

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #74,014 of 75,202
Can't add much more to what J's already said about these two sets. I just want to mention that what makes the ES-P2 addictive for me is the texture of the notes. They have weight and body, almost a kind of three-dimensionality, that I really dig, especially with acoustic guitar. The plucks and strums are to die for with this set.

I'll also add that it took me a long time to come around on these. For a long time, I found them really fatiguing. In part, I think that was because of ergonomics: they're pretty heavy, and the stock is also pretty heavy, so I couldn't wear them for extended periods of time. But there was also something about the tuning that my ears just didn't mesh with over extended listens (I'd day it's the amount of bass, but the FF3 never had that effect on me - could also be something about the mids). I switched to a lightweight Onso cable and have put more than 100 hours through them and whether the driver had evolved or my brain has, I don't find them nearly as fatiguing as I used to. I listen to these out of the Amp14 card on my DX320 and the synergy is pretty great.

IMG_3043.jpeg
Nice cable. May i ask where did you get the cable ? And which model?

does it give a different sound from the original cable?

thank you

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #74,015 of 75,202
Feb 21, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #74,017 of 75,202
You can try using silicon wings. It helps give you a more consistent and secure fit. Alot of earbuds don't fit me securely so I bought a bunch of them.
Thanks for letting me know about the wings. I was gonna get some a few months ago but didn't cuz I was afraid they would change the sound. But now that I look at them again, I wouldn't think that they would change the sound of the bud. Just make it more secure

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #74,018 of 75,202
Can't add much more to what J's already said about these two sets. I just want to mention that what makes the ES-P2 addictive for me is the texture of the notes. They have weight and body, almost a kind of three-dimensionality, that I really dig, especially with acoustic guitar. The plucks and strums are to die for with this set.

I'll also add that it took me a long time to come around on these. For a long time, I found them really fatiguing. In part, I think that was because of ergonomics: they're pretty heavy, and the stock is also pretty heavy, so I couldn't wear them for extended periods of time. But there was also something about the tuning that my ears just didn't mesh with over extended listens (I'd day it's the amount of bass, but the FF3 never had that effect on me - could also be something about the mids). I switched to a lightweight Onso cable and have put more than 100 hours through them and whether the driver had evolved or my brain has, I don't find them nearly as fatiguing as I used to. I listen to these out of the Amp14 card on my DX320 and the synergy is pretty great.

A few days ago i got the Ucotech ES-P1 used from a very nice german earbud-enthusiast. Since i already was blown away by their cheaper offering, the Brilliante i was curious, but since i got the Yinman 600 from the same guy, my other buds didnt get anymore listening time, so i did not expect to like the Ucotech even more.

I still dont know, if i do, but atm i also dont feel the need to listen to the Yinmans, as i am once more blown away, this time by the ES-P1. It sounds nothing like the yinmans and i am sure they are quite polarizing, as some might find them too soft sounding, without enough treble bite and maybe even lacking bass. Its true, its slightly midcentric, but Kpop-pina-gain-vocal-lovers might be underwhelmed, as they dont shout boosted clarity to your ears. instead, they present details in a very sophisticated rounded, almost analogue and very unoffensive way. The treble, mids and detail presentation, although slightly softer, reminds me somewhat of my AKG K812. Where the Ucotech even excell the AKGs tho is soundstage-depth, image and layering. The positioning of sounds in front of me is almost jaw dropping. its not the widest soundstage i have heard tho, but depth and height are excellent.
Timbre and naturality are also remarkably realistic to me, tho a good bit behind for example the AKGs. I did not yet do direct comparisons to other earbuds, so i wont comment on this atm and as i am mostly into soundstage and dont care too much about frequency responses i wont go into detail in this regard too. Bass reaches deep and seems quite linear but is low in volume. same could be said for treble. i guess there is a dip in the upper mids, which makes them very unfatiguing. As always i dont use any EQ with my headphones and i listened to them thru a Topping Dx3 Pro+ and the G5. I always listen in very low volume levels (for example when I use the Yinman 600 on the G5 i choose medium gain and never had to put the volume knob above the 11 o´clock mark). I mostly listen to music without vocals, which consists of large classical orchestra, Jazz, Ambient and deep drum ´n bass. Occasionally i listen to rock like pearl jam and slipknot, but it is probably less than 5-10% of my listening time. For testing tho i also include some vocal tracks.
I use them without foams but with the large white Fiio silicon rings and as it is not the lightest set around, they tended to have a weak and loose fit, when i wear them traditionally cable down. This results in a (to me) even bass lighter sound, which doesnt seem to be the intended tuning. So i wear them as iems with the stem and cable upwards, which works really well in my ears and gives them a secure fit, with the (again to me) right sound. i attach a blurry picture i did in a hurry.
From what I read about the ES-P2 here, it seems to me, that the new iteration is following the original route, with technicality chops pushed a notch or two. So i really would like to get my hands on this set, which seems borderline impossible for germans. but this community often enough surprised me to stay positive :relieved:

Attachments

• ucotech1.jpg
    ucotech1.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #74,021 of 75,202
Good sound from the past.
Sony NW-A55 (Mr.Walkman firmware) + Fiio Mont Blanc E12 + K's earphone K's64
Anyone else have ks64?
20240221_123610.jpg
Me, bro!
2 pairs just to be sure :beerchug:

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #74,022 of 75,202
A few days ago i got the Ucotech ES-P1 used from a very nice german earbud-enthusiast. Since i already was blown away by their cheaper offering, the Brilliante i was curious, but since i got the Yinman 600 from the same guy, my other buds didnt get anymore listening time, so i did not expect to like the Ucotech even more.

I still dont know, if i do, but atm i also dont feel the need to listen to the Yinmans, as i am once more blown away, this time by the ES-P1. It sounds nothing like the yinmans and i am sure they are quite polarizing, as some might find them too soft sounding, without enough treble bite and maybe even lacking bass. Its true, its slightly midcentric, but Kpop-pina-gain-vocal-lovers might be underwhelmed, as they dont shout boosted clarity to your ears. instead, they present details in a very sophisticated rounded, almost analogue and very unoffensive way. The treble, mids and detail presentation, although slightly softer, reminds me somewhat of my AKG K812. Where the Ucotech even excell the AKGs tho is soundstage-depth, image and layering. The positioning of sounds in front of me is almost jaw dropping. its not the widest soundstage i have heard tho, but depth and height are excellent.
Timbre and naturality are also remarkably realistic to me, tho a good bit behind for example the AKGs. I did not yet do direct comparisons to other earbuds, so i wont comment on this atm and as i am mostly into soundstage and dont care too much about frequency responses i wont go into detail in this regard too. Bass reaches deep and seems quite linear but is low in volume. same could be said for treble. i guess there is a dip in the upper mids, which makes them very unfatiguing. As always i dont use any EQ with my headphones and i listened to them thru a Topping Dx3 Pro+ and the G5. I always listen in very low volume levels (for example when I use the Yinman 600 on the G5 i choose medium gain and never had to put the volume knob above the 11 o´clock mark). I mostly listen to music without vocals, which consists of large classical orchestra, Jazz, Ambient and deep drum ´n bass. Occasionally i listen to rock like pearl jam and slipknot, but it is probably less than 5-10% of my listening time. For testing tho i also include some vocal tracks.
I use them without foams but with the large white Fiio silicon rings and as it is not the lightest set around, they tended to have a weak and loose fit, when i wear them traditionally cable down. This results in a (to me) even bass lighter sound, which doesnt seem to be the intended tuning. So i wear them as iems with the stem and cable upwards, which works really well in my ears and gives them a secure fit, with the (again to me) right sound. i attach a blurry picture i did in a hurry.
From what I read about the ES-P2 here, it seems to me, that the new iteration is following the original route, with technicality chops pushed a notch or two. So i really would like to get my hands on this set, which seems borderline impossible for germans. but this community often enough surprised me to stay positive :relieved:
Thanks for your impressions! Ucotech is a Korean company and IMHO their products deserve more attention 👐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back