Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #29,178 of 75,297
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #29,179 of 75,297
After listening to the ZoomFred's some more, I really do not see these as a QFred 2.0. These are much bassier than the QFred and even the CampFred 2 (wish I still had it to compare directly). It sounds U-shaped, rather than mid focused. The bass is really impressive though. It has Fostex level's of authority and punch. The CampFred 2 wasn't cutting it for me for bass-centric music and sounded too closed in with thick foams, which was why I was looking for an IEM or portable closed back. The ZoomFred's still sound spacious with thick foams, and enormous with thin VE foams. Currently using Hiegi donut foams with these. May go back to thin.

The treble has smoothed over after some burn in, but it still has a nice sharp edge to it. The cymbals shimmer with a nice realism. I still prefer the Diomnes Lvl 2 for vocals so far (smoother upper mids and more present lower mids, warm overall vocals), but the ZoomFred midrange is more suitable for metal as it has more energy in comparison.The bass is really visceral for metal btw (listening to Converge atm). The overall tonality is better balanced compared to the other headphones I mentioned in previous posts. (The beryllium IEM isn't worth mentioning, it was really boomy and muddy...)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #29,182 of 75,297
@ctaxxxx : Just a quick question, Is yours 4.4 mm. BL plug?
No, just 2.5mm. I still like DX200's AMP1 for it's neutrality, plus all the adapters I have are for 2.5mm. Not sure when I'll finally switch to 4.4mm only.

Which IEM?
It's literally called Beryllium, by Periodic Audio. I didn't bother with burn in with these since there was really noticeable hiss/noise with AMP5. I've just decided I'm not for warm upper bass with super thick mids. Both Beryllium phones I've tried had this same syrupy sound signature, which is interesting because I've heard the Utopia is the opposite.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #29,183 of 75,297
It's literally called Beryllium, by Periodic Audio.

I just wondered because I have the Urban HiFi Beryllium on the way. Traded my hybrid version to my husband but wanted this one to compare.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #29,184 of 75,297
I just wondered because I have the Urban HiFi Beryllium on the way. Traded my hybrid version to my husband but wanted this one to compare.
I wouldn't worry too much. My subjective tastes may differ from yours. It also should be obvious by now that I am fairly picky in my audio gear after dipping in $1000+ range, so my standards are pretty high.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #29,185 of 75,297
I wouldn't worry too much. My subjective tastes may differ from yours. It also should be obvious by now that I am fairly picky in my audio gear after dipping in $1000+ range, so my standards are pretty high.

Not worried just curious.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #29,186 of 75,297
So I guess it won't bother you much that there is a 6 strands version of the BK blue (the normal version, which is the one I get, has 4 strands of wires) that has received A LOT of raved review among Shozy fans in China? :imp:

I’ve got the 4 strands BK blue from Shozy in mid-January.

In Hong Kong a top executives from shozy came to the MTR station to deliver the Bk blue to me. I told him to increase the strands.

He said that the cost of the pure silver cable is extremely expensive but I told him the original strand of 4 should be insufficient for optimum bass performance. I urged him to test it with more strands. But he said the earbuds might be so expensive that no one would buy...

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #29,187 of 75,297
As if the BS1 needs any more press, I realized I've never seen photos of them sans foams, so thought I'd share.

U5GW1dPl.jpg

eAI7W60l.jpg

PQoM1Mbl.jpg

Been very much enjoying them, though they're not without faults.

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #29,188 of 75,297
some prefer to have 10 variety earbuds worth $10 each, while some prefer to have 1 for $100. neither of them is wrong. it's just preference.
usually people would start like the former, and gradually step (or leap) up when they know what sound they like...

and then they go and collect the budgets again.

that's the natural progression of head fi (abd and this earbud forum in particular) :smile_phones:
I’m in stage 2 lol. The more expensive buds to suit my preferences. Once I inevitably buy the liebesleid and or zoomfred I may progress to stage 3 and buy all the newest budgets again lol.

I see some people here just buy a huge amount of budget buds but then I see thier profile and they have some nice full size headphones or iems so I understand why they stick to budget earbuds for the fun of the hobby and use quality headphones or iems or even other earbuds for immersive listening.
As if the BS1 needs any more press, I realized I've never seen photos of them sans foams, so thought I'd share.

U5GW1dPl.jpg

eAI7W60l.jpg

PQoM1Mbl.jpg

Been very much enjoying them, though they're not without faults.
What are the faults you have found? I also found a few but was able to fix most with some tweaks and EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #29,189 of 75,297
I'm currently in the stage 4, the lull between collecting. I'm happy with what I have, especially my last acquisition the Raven Mk 2, and haven't seen any new budgets that I feel the need to get. My collection's probably somewhere at 80-90 earbuds, so really I should be slimming down at some point. I've been more feeling an itch for finding a good budget Chi-Fi ear clip headphone, as well as figure out a good closed, which may end up being solved with Audeze Mobius.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #29,190 of 75,297
Lo and behold...

...and a full view.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the BK blue version as well as your comparison to the BK

I really like my BK balanced earbuds. That style/size bud seems to fit my ears best. Have the VE zen 2 balanced (standard not black) and PK1. Would like to try the zoomfred but not sure of the fit. The zen 2 fit is alright if not on the move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back