Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 19, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #29,191 of 75,405
After 200hr burn in I start to really enjoy the hifiboy dream. It's a very transparent and accurate sound. Fast. Quite balanced although the bass is on the back seat and treble is star of the show. Mids are natural and I fail to find them any flaws. I pick up subtle details I never heard before. It's completely unfatiguing and I could use it for more than 4 hours without any sign of tired ears, perhaps the least fatiguing earbuds I own. Because of it's transparency, it is quite affected by the source I paired it with. I listened to heavy metal tracks on my gf iPhone through Spotify just for the sake of it and I was surprised of engaging it was. It did sounded a bit brighter, soundstage less forward and overall clean, slightly digitalish compared to my main dap but still pretty fine overall. With my main source, the flow fees very natural, effortless but full of details.
I noticed some sibilance if the files is poorly recorded or if it is lofi MP3. It can be a bit unforgiving in that regards but it's nothing compared to butchers such as the Duke iem. I recommend if you are interested in something that sound as close to your source as possible. For a focused but relaxed listening.
It's easy to drive, doesn't need an amp. Just a clean source.

Btw Ks 300 samsara is at 95usd or less for next Ali sale. Good price if you ask me.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #29,192 of 75,405
Both Beryllium phones I've tried had this same syrupy sound signature, which is interesting because I've heard the Utopia is the opposite.
The Utopia is definitely not syrupy! Quite the opposite, very quick and detailed. If you like the highs of the ZoomFred you would probably like the Utopia. The Utopia may not have enough bass for you though...... On the other hand, on tracks like Lorde's "Royals" the bass really comes through, and it is punch and clear rather than thumpy.

To Sean's point, I think there is a time and place for all. I listen to earbuds at work because although I am often in a noisy environment with pumps and equipment running, I have to be able to hear people in case they have a question or need something. It is also a safety issue if one cannot hear what is going on. I have a sort of a system for what buds are used when: If I'm doing something that allows sitting at a computer or whatever, I'll use a 'nicer' bud but one that can still be replaced (like a K's Samsara). If I'm doing something with chemicals or changing pump oil or anything where there is a reasonable probability of the buds getting damaged, then it is Vidos or Monk+ (though not a limited edition color!). :L3000: The more expensive and small batch buds are limited to home use. :wink: On the weekends, I really enjoy listening to the Utopias with their accompanying DAC and amp on a stand by my reclining sofa......... unfortunately it is only for a few hours a week, but to me it is really, really relaxing, and allows me to forget about work, etc. during that time.

I can't stop buying the budget stuff though because I love exploring the different sound signatures, and also really love getting stuff in the mail.......... if every time I got a package it was a TOTL headphone, I'd be divorced and have to sell everything to buy dog food. :dt880smile:

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #29,194 of 75,405
What are the faults you have found? I also found a few but was able to fix most with some tweaks and EQ.

Oh I think the BS1 sounds as advertised! The hype around these have been sky high (I think comparable to the Hiby R6 amongst the DAPheads) and in sound department they deliver (when you get the fit right).

My gripe with them are mostly in form and functionality.

Beautiful but bulky wires, which amplifies the fit problem, catches easily on jackets/zippers/collars etc. earbuds popping out all the time. Along with being very source picky, they're not as portable as I had hoped. They basically sounds like two different earbuds through the Apple dongle and my Mojo. Even running the Dragonflys on my iPhone X, they were good but not great. Dragonfly with Tidal MQA on my laptop is superb though.

Good chance they'll pop up in the FS section this week/next.

EDIT: I know I am particularly picky with fit though, especially my left ear, it's just shaped weird. So take that for what it's worth. But the cables are overkill though, like the Grados equivalent. :joy:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #29,195 of 75,405
@cathee : After I resaled Penon BS1 to another person. Within 2 weeks later, he also decided to resale it. Now my former BS1 become the third hand products and I don't know what now it becomes. It can reach my acceptable sounstage width just only when I played it on DX200+AMP4. To be fair, naturally one product could not make everyone satisfied. Some might like and some don't. Though I don't have fitting issue with BS1 without sponges. Hope you find a new 'just right for you' buds soon. Cheers.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #29,196 of 75,405
Just got the bs1 experience ver. and the B01 aoede, and the B01 was nice. It was a definite nice side grade from my previous headroom ms16. That being said the bs1 experience ver. Blew me away. I am almost a convert. The monks didn't do it for me. These do have nice separation, decent bass, and the mids and highs can be a bit abrasive in your face. That being said, I don't mind that. Are the bs1 official better than these?? Are there any upgrades from these??

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #29,197 of 75,405
I suspect that my PT15 are the old version since they sound thin to me. They're not exactly bad but they don't sound like people have described the new version. Mine have a single rectangular back vent and the new version should have four holes, right? Does anyone know if NiceHCK have the new model?

Currently using the PT15 with my Mee BTX1 bluetooth cable and like I said, it's not bad but I would like a fuller, warmer sound. The PT15 fit me comfortably and they're inexpensive so if the new ones are better I might as well try them before I go for something else.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #29,198 of 75,405
I suspect that my PT15 are the old version since they sound thin to me. They're not exactly bad but they don't sound like people have described the new version. Mine have a single rectangular back vent and the new version should have four holes, right? Does anyone know if NiceHCK have the new model?

Currently using the PT15 with my Mee BTX1 bluetooth cable and like I said, it's not bad but I would like a fuller, warmer sound. The PT15 fit me comfortably and they're inexpensive so if the new ones are better I might as well try them before I go for something else.

The new one only have one vent hole..the old one have four

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #29,199 of 75,405
The new one only have one vent hole..the old one have four

Thank you! Well, that saves me the trouble of ordering a new pair at least. Are you sure though? Sean wrote something contradictory here:

And yes you can get just the earbud without the cable if you like, make sure it’s the newer pt15 version with 4 holes on the back in the pictures.

I'm confused, further clarification needed! :thinking:

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #29,200 of 75,405
Thank you! Well, that saves me the trouble of ordering a new pair at least. Are you sure though? Sean wrote something contradictory here:

I'm confused, further clarification needed! :thinking:

yes I'm sure. i have two four-holed ones that i purchased last year,and waiting for the new one-holed version inbound.

maybe @DBaldock9 could chime in? he have both version

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #29,201 of 75,405
Talk about nostalgic repurchase, last Saturday i had a mini meet with fellow friends from my local forum, and listened to the Blox B200...it surprised me, because i used to have the recabled B200, but the sound was nowhere this good.

I know i have to get it.

Well.. So much for downsizing then :joy:
20180320_160601.jpg

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #29,202 of 75,405
yes I'm sure. i have two four-holed ones that i purchased last year,and waiting for the new one-holed version inbound.

maybe @DBaldock9 could chime in? he have both version

If you have the old and ordered the new I don't have much reason to distrust you. Please let us know how you think they compare to each other when you get them. :)

Like I said, these don't exactly sound bad so it might just be due to my taste in music. I want something that sound impressive on busy stuff like djent and techdeath. These are really nice for classic rock and prog so they have their place. I just listened to Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms with them and it was... nice!

I've been using Vido and Qian39 for heavy stuff but when I want wireless PT15 is my only option atm.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #29,203 of 75,405
I want something that sound impressive on busy stuff like djent and techdeath.

Try the Willsound MK2. I listen to Tool and Korn (is that considered djent?I'm not too familiar with the term) with it, and it's impressive

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #29,204 of 75,405
:k701smile:
Try the Willsound MK2. I listen to Tool and Korn (is that considered djent?I'm not too familiar with the term) with it, and it's impressive

Djent is a really stupid word to be honest. :jecklinsmile:I think it's supposed to describe a certain kind of disted guitar. Anyway it's basically Meshuggah and similar bands.

Funny that you mention Tool since that's a band I really enjoy with the PT15. I think they highlight Keenan's voice in a good way. Speaking of which, I listened to Rosetta Stoned a few days ago and noticed how well I could hear the conversation in the intro with PT15 compared to Vido. Noted though, I'll add Willsound to my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back