Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 20, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #29,207 of 75,326
:k701smile:

Djent is a really stupid word to be honest. :jecklinsmile:I think it's supposed to describe a certain kind of disted guitar. Anyway it's basically Meshuggah and similar bands.

Funny that you mention Tool since that's a band I really enjoy with the PT15. I think they highlight Keenan's voice in a good way. Speaking of which, I listened to Rosetta Stoned a few days ago and noticed how well I could hear the conversation in the intro with PT15 compared to Vido. Noted though, I'll add Willsound to my list.

the PT15 is my most favorite earbud under $20 right now (not to mention one of my most used everyday). it's balanced signature is rare in the budget segment. i think it's the cheapest you can get to Etymotic kind of sound, but of course with airier and fatter overall sound (because of the inherent characteristics of the earbuds compared to IEMs)
The PT15 accentuate the mid (hence vocals and speeches are clear), the MK2 has a mild V-ish shape but also still clear in the mids and have a big mid bass that's not bloating up the vocals.

oooh, and the 10.000 days is my most favorite Tool album (along with Ænima) :L3000:

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #29,208 of 75,326
Oh I think the BS1 sounds as advertised! The hype around these have been sky high (I think comparable to the Hiby R6 amongst the DAPheads) and in sound department they deliver (when you get the fit right).

My gripe with them are mostly in form and functionality.

Beautiful but bulky wires, which amplifies the fit problem, catches easily on jackets/zippers/collars etc. earbuds popping out all the time. Along with being very source picky, they're not as portable as I had hoped. They basically sounds like two different earbuds through the Apple dongle and my Mojo. Even running the Dragonflys on my iPhone X, they were good but not great. Dragonfly with Tidal MQA on my laptop is superb though.

Good chance they'll pop up in the FS section this week/next.

EDIT: I know I am particularly picky with fit though, especially my left ear, it's just shaped weird. So take that for what it's worth. But the cables are overkill though, like the Grados equivalent. :joy:
Have you tried them overear? This I found improved the fit, usability of the wire (better weight distribution so they don’t fall out) and the soundstage immensely.

@cathee : After I resaled Penon BS1 to another person. Within 2 weeks later, he also decided to resale it. Now my former BS1 become the third hand products and I don't know what now it becomes. It can reach my acceptable sounstage width just only when I played it on DX200+AMP4. To be fair, naturally one product could not make everyone satisfied. Some might like and some don't. Though I don't have fitting issue with BS1 without sponges. Hope you find a new 'just right for you' buds soon. Cheers.
Out of curiosity (I cannot remember if I asked you before) did you try them overear? I’m not sure if it has the same effect without foams but when I applied the super thin foams and used them overear, the soundstage was IMMENSE. I mean, it was doing more spacious things in depth than my masya, and width was on par with the Masya. So If that was your main gripe, i hope you had a chance to try it that way before it was sold :D

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #29,209 of 75,326
Just got the bs1 experience ver. and the B01 aoede, and the B01 was nice. It was a definite nice side grade from my previous headroom ms16. That being said the bs1 experience ver. Blew me away. I am almost a convert. The monks didn't do it for me. These do have nice separation, decent bass, and the mids and highs can be a bit abrasive in your face. That being said, I don't mind that. Are the bs1 official better than these?? Are there any upgrades from these??
Yes a massive upgrade, don’t think anyone who has heard the two would say otherwise.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #29,210 of 75,326
Thank you! Well, that saves me the trouble of ordering a new pair at least. Are you sure though? Sean wrote something contradictory here:

I'm confused, further clarification needed! :thinking:
Yes it was me who was probably the confused one, I have the variant with 4 holes which I bought from a listing on nicehck saying ‘new **** pt15’ but apparently I have the old version :/. Chimie I most likely correct with his statement.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #29,211 of 75,326
Out of curiosity (I cannot remember if I asked you before) did you try them overear? I’m not sure if it has the same effect without foams but when I applied the super thin foams and used them overear, the soundstage was IMMENSE. I mean, it was doing more spacious things in depth than my masya, and width was on par with the Masya. So If that was your main gripe, i hope you had a chance to try it that way before it was sold :D
I've ever tried every patterns I could, including 'overear' before you raised it up so long time. I am a very first one who got BS1 and it is not 3.5SE, I bought 2.5BL. Since I have a lot of chance to try high-end stuffs, so my familiarity is pretty high. The one reason I prefer Mojito to Masya. Cause Masya is just mediocre soundstage for me.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #29,212 of 75,326
Hi crew planning to take advantage of Ali's anniversary sale to get me a new set of buds for EDM, bass heavy stuff what should I be looking at? Thanks!

Edit: plan to run them thru my various dacs E17K, NX2 , BTR1...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #29,213 of 75,326
I've ever tried every patterns I could, including 'overear' before you raised it up so long time. I am a very first one who got BS1 and it is not 3.5SE, I bought 2.5BL. Since I have a lot of chance to try high-end stuffs, so my familiarity is pretty high. The one reason I prefer Mojito to Masya. Cause Masya is just mediocre soundstage for me.
Ah ok so you really appreciate very big soundstage :)

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #29,216 of 75,326
Looking to get either Nicehck EBX or Shozy BK in upcoming Aliexpress sale, how does this 2 compare in sound quality?
Build wise it seems EBX will be more durable with mmcx connection..
shozy BK is on sale? can you share the link please? Best deal Ive found so far is K's 300 samsara and K's 600. from 130 to 75euro

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #29,218 of 75,326
What kind of discounts can we expect from the sale? I've never bought anything from Ali during the sale before.
I've seen anything from 25% to 38% savings so far

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #29,220 of 75,326
From what I see EBX will be discounted to US$106 from 136 during sales, really tempting to buy at this pricing. I was considering Penon BS1 also, but it seems like fit will be a problem due to its bulky cable
If the Samsara is down to €75/$92 as suggested above (yep it is!) then you may look at getting that one, that seems like a great deal!

Although I now realise it is 300 ohm, take that into consideration!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back