1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds Round-Up

1. ClieOS Contributor
    I posted the picture of it on the first page in this thread around mid-July 2016, so it does go a bit further more.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    chaiyuta and j4100 like this.
  2. Kukuster
    hey guys! Is there any good neutral sound earbuds? Some earbuds with highly notable neutrality.

3. doggiemom
    Someone posted this link in the ORA GrapheneQ thread:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...91e8377/1518732111103/AX-February-2018_GA.pdf
    Interesting article; talks about the approaches used by different companies to create a transducer using graphene, and the difficulties of shaping graphene into a driver. Given the difficulties of working with the graphene, I wonder if the ChiFi companies selling graphene earbuds are truly using graphene, or if their drivers just contain some carbon and not the true allotrope? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Graphene drivers still seem very much in the development stage (even ORA's product is a 95% graphene composite), so I would be curious to know if the DIY graphene buds contain graphene at all, and if so, what percentage.

4. seanc6441
    Price range?

5. silverfishla
    I believe that the drivers are not a composite of graphene, but an application of the dust onto the driver, like a coating. I read an article on this type of application, but I can't seem to find it. Then again, we can't really be sure what the process is for making these components that we are buying from Ali, unless someone here has actually seen the manufacturing process or can track down the plant that makes them.

6. Kukuster
    Something for $40-150 for devices with not high power output (smartphone, laptop etc.)

7. doggiemom
    Please don't spend time looking, but if you do stumble across the article again I would love to read it. (My background is chemistry, though now I'm a glorified plumber/oil change tech/cleaning monkey). I'm skeptical of the graphene claims from Ali stores.......

8. seanc6441
    Ok so at the top end of your budget you have the Shozy bk. It’s what I would consider a neutral signature with a lean towards analog sound (Neutral-Slightly warm tonality, low mids are full-lush but not too heavy sounding, has nice airy treble. Tonality is pretty much perfect to my ears, being kind of ‘dry’ reference sounding but musical at the same time. Only downside is a more upfront and intimate soundstage, but the imaging is accurate and separation is clean.

Mid budget would be the Penon BS1. Now to me this is very neutral and balanced and the tonality isn’t swayed towards warm or cold, it’s just very neutral. One caveat though is I found these to sound the most natural and neutral with some mild EQ to fix tonality slightly. But overall is a very detail and balanced signature with a smooth but also textured presentation. Soundstage is spacious and imaging is excellent portraying a 3D depth and width.

Budget wise I suggest the Auglamour RX1 which can also be EQed slightly for an astonishingly smooth detailed and balanced response this price (around $25). For me nothing comes close in detail at this price, but sadly there are better extended earbuds with a more exciting sound maybe. But the RX1 has solid imaging and soundstage with the right foams and is a good all rounder with excellent build quality.

These are the buds I’ve heard and used at different price ranges that stood out as very neutral/balanced with a slight lean towards certain sound signatures, but overall I consider them as neutral earbuds. All are easily driven from mobile sources.

Other notable mentions which I have not heard: Yincrow RW777, Moondrop Nameless, Moondrop VX Pro, Rholupat Willsound MK2/MK3.

Raketen and Kukuster like this.
  9. Raketen
    It may not be used in headphones but I think the CVD process is a common way to make graphene? I read this article recently which describes a similar technique, though it's not being used in manufacturing yet AFAIK https://phys.org/news/2018-03-method-large-single-crystal-graphene-advance.html

doggiemom likes this.
  10. vladstef
    100% graphene diaphragms do not exist as far as I know (not consumer grade, certainly as prototypes still in development). Any 'graphene' drivers out there are just using a coating on top of a regular membrane which isn't graphene at all and is somewhat misleading. The proper term would be graphite coating, because graphene is just one atom thick layer of graphite.
    Anyways, there are many drivers of all sizes that use 'graphene' coating and they all use word graphene because it's better suited for marketing. As far as I can tell, there are many coatings that you can apply to a plastic membrane, including titanium and beryllium as prime examples.

11. Majin
    Worth triple the price? or should i just go for the 64 since you said they were better than the emx500.

12. doggiemom
    Exactly, it seems that some companies are just using graphene as a buzzword to make sales, when technically their products don't incorporate graphene and therefore don't benefit from its physical properties. It's like selling pencil leads as diamonds..... :laughing: (both allotropes of carbon).

mbwilson111 likes this.
  13. HungryPanda
    You would like the Seahf 64's I am sure

14. kw8910
    Put it this way, is the $10-12 in savings worth wondering what you're missing on the 150s?

I don't have the 64s but it looks like the rubber cable is microphonic and the 150s are braided nicely so that is another consideration. I'm listening to the Seahf 150s right now and it's quite satisfying, nice soundstage and bass (without being too punchy) for an earbud.

15. mbwilson111
    I love the cable on my Seahf 150. Looks beautiful and is comfortable as well.

HungryPanda likes this.