Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 24, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #24,061 of 75,564
Well I picked up the Stardust and Cygnus at a fair price (€120 and €33 respectively). One for home use, one for on the go.

I'll provide some comparisions and whether I think Stardust is worth the extra $$$. Plus I'll compare both our of my PC (decently powerful source) and my iphone to test whether it's worth the upgrade to stardust for mobile users.

The shell alone makes me happy about this purchase, Yuin shell is unbelievably comfortable for anyone I feel. Plus if it's an upgrade on DIY PK2 (Cygnus... of course Stardust is lol) then I'll be extremely happy as I love my PK2.

Now I know I've overspent on earbuds lately but hear me out... I'm giving away 3 earbuds to family members who badly needed to discover what good sound is after being subjected to cheapo phone buds for too long lol. Makes more sense to give these cheap buds to family rather than sell them as the profit wouldn't be so great factoring in shipping and second hand. Plus it's nice to give gifts.

Penon BS1 (left) and DIY PK2 (right). One for a pop/acoustical and ocasional soul music lover (the BS1) and one for a avid rock music fan (DIY PK2)

I'll be left with Masya for instrumental, Soundtrack/atmospheric music, Stardust for everything else and Cygnus for outside use. Still unsure where the DIY Graphene will fit in, but I'll definitely use it if I enjoy the sound.

Only thing I didn't consider is using the Cygnus outdoors, that green cable will definitely be a sight to behold... LOL. On second thought's maybe the DIY Graphene will be my outdoors earbud :)

Looking forward to the comparison. I love the Cygnus!

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #24,062 of 75,564
The past greatness .. cm7 and mx580 P71024-172859-001.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #24,063 of 75,564
Hi everyone haven't been on this thread in a while. Still using the edimun v3, yinman 150 & 500 and loving them.

I come here asking for some help regarding earbuds for gaming. I currently use my monk+ but I am looking for an upgrade. Here's the catch though, it must have a microphone. I was looking at the edifier h180 and vido. If anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #24,064 of 75,564
Hi everyone haven't been on this thread in a while. Still using the edimun v3, yinman 150 & 500 and loving them.

I come here asking for some help regarding earbuds for gaming. I currently use my monk+ but I am looking for an upgrade. Here's the catch though, it must have a microphone. I was looking at the edifier h180 and vido. If anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Maybe
http://s.aliexpress.com/JnueYn2m

EMX500 has big soundstage, lots of detail, extends really well with strong bass and sub bass which is probably very nice for gaming. Also has good mids and highs which extend and are very detailed.

Clarity is good also for VOIP. Don't know about microphone quality but it's probably decent.

Only issue is some units are known to distort on one side so some average quality control.

It's only €8 which is nice though, worth a shot I reckon, if it's the same as NiceHCK version it's a great choice. Seems to be the same.

Sound sig is slightly U shaped, for music it's slightly recessed vocals but for gaming you won't notice that.

It's brighter than Monk Plus so you probably would want to use it with full foams coming from the more dark sounding monk plus. EMX500 should perform wayyyy better for gaming though. Sound with foams is nice and full and will make the games atmospheric sounding.

Other sellers have it too if you search in aliexpress for 'EMX500', make sure to choose MIC version. Seller #2 has a straight jack MIC version but he shall not be named here. The others are L shaped jack/different cable.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #24,065 of 75,564

You have several options - if you consider the earbuds that have MMCX connectors, since you can use a cable with a mic when you need it, or without a mic if you don't need one.

AliExpress has cables with MMCX and a Mic, for prices ranging from ~$5.60 up to more than $50.

The lowest priced earbud I know of, with MMCX, is the **** PT15 ($10 - $20). The new (2017) model has a good, balanced sound.
The other earbuds I've got (with MMCX), start at around $46, and go up from there.
Penon Audio has at least 2 different models (1 with 3 different impedances available) that are $50 - $56.
Other brands go up to at least the $145 range.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #24,069 of 75,564
Maybe
http://s.aliexpress.com/JnueYn2m

EMX500 has big soundstage, lots of detail, extends really well with strong bass and sub bass which is probably very nice for gaming. Also has good mids and highs which extend and are very detailed.

Clarity is good also for VOIP. Don't know about microphone quality but it's probably decent.

Only issue is some units are known to distort on one side so some average quality control.

It's only €8 which is nice though, worth a shot I reckon, if it's the same as NiceHCK version it's a great choice. Seems to be the same.

Sound sig is slightly U shaped, for music it's slightly recessed vocals but for gaming you won't notice that.

It's brighter than Monk Plus so you probably would want to use it with full foams coming from the more dark sounding monk plus. EMX500 should perform wayyyy better for gaming though. Sound with foams is nice and full and will make the games atmospheric sounding.

Other sellers have it too if you search in aliexpress for 'EMX500', make sure to choose MIC version. Seller #2 has a straight jack MIC version but he shall not be named here. The others are L shaped jack/different cable.
Awesome Thanks for the rec, I'll make sure to look into it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #24,071 of 75,564
I'm a week into the wait for my Shozy BKs and Graphenes (and the seahf 150). I'm not cut out for waiting 20-40 days shipping. Every day that goes by, I get tempted to order another pair. My brain says "save your money for a moondrop liebesleid" and my heart says "buy 'em all". You lot are not helping either.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #24,072 of 75,564
I'm a week into the wait for my Shozy BKs and Graphenes (and the seahf 150). I'm not cut out for waiting 20-40 days shipping. Every day that goes by, I get tempted to order another pair. My brain says "save your money for a moondrop liebesleid" and my heart says "buy 'em all". You lot are not helping either.

...and that is how I ended up getting a dozen buds in just under two months. I bought a Monk from Amazon at the end up August. Then I started ordering things from Aliexpress. Some of those took forever... like 5 weeks... so during the wait, I kept adding others... and waiting and waiting. Finally the last one arrived last week... my PK2. I am now finished! No more iems (the last two arrived yesterday) and no more headphones... way too many headphones. Sadly I only have two ears and time is finite.

I like all that I have but I will say that the three that have the Monk housing are a bit of a problem fit for me. They fall out occasionally. I cannot at this time do any comparisons as I have not had enough individual time with any of them and I don't really know how to do comparisons. I can with headphones but not iems or buds... yet. Actually I hate to do comparisons because trying to listen and compare just ruins my enjoyment of my music. I tend to get lost in the music (for hours and hours) and forget I am supposed to compare.

This is my little collection.
Auglamour RX1
Boarseman MX98 - red
Langsdom F9 earpods - rose gold
Moondrop Nameless
NiceHCK DIY PK2 - black with white cable
PMV B01 Aoede
Qian39
Qian 69 - white
RY04
**** PT15 (graphene driver)
TY Hi-Z AWK-314P
VE Monk+ coffee
**** Z&W - gold (copper really)

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #24,074 of 75,564
Use the budget range to figure out what you're after, then study the reviews and ask questions for your top end purchases.

or, just be happy with what you have found in the budget range:) None of mine are above $30 ...taking sales into account.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #24,075 of 75,564
...and that is how I ended up getting a dozen buds in just under two months. I bought a Monk from Amazon at the end up August. Then I started ordering things from Aliexpress. Some of those took forever... like 5 weeks... so during the wait, I kept adding others... and waiting and waiting. Finally the last one arrived last week... my PK2. I am now finished! No more iems (the last two arrived yesterday) and no more headphones... way too many headphones. Sadly I only have two ears and time is finite.

I like all that I have but I will say that the three that have the Monk housing are a bit of a problem fit for me. They fall out occasionally. I cannot at this time do any comparisons as I have not had enough individual time with any of them and I don't really know how to do comparisons. I can with headphones but not iems or buds... yet. Actually I hate to do comparisons because trying to listen and compare just ruins my enjoyment of my music. I tend to get lost in the music (for hours and hours) and forget I am supposed to compare.

This is my little collection.
Auglamour RX1
Boarseman MX98 - red
Langsdom F9 earpods - rose gold
Moondrop Nameless
NiceHCK DIY PK2 - black with white cable
PMV B01 Aoede
Qian39
Qian 69 - white
RY04
**** PT15 (graphene driver)
TY Hi-Z AWK-314P