Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #24,092 of 75,868
Everything you say if perfect.... in theory. Just admit it - you're toast lol.
Indeed I was the second I bought the monk + and thought "oh wow these sound nice for €5... or €10... or €15".

I spent 5 years listening to music through Earpods...Let that sink in. I think my ears deserved better. Actually before I bought the monk I was almost forced down the IEM line because I didn't know about this site/forum and when I googled 'best budget hifi EARBUD' all I got was a list of stupid IEM's (nothing against IEM's, they just hurt my ears and aren't comfortable at all for me). So naturally I assumed that Earbuds were dead, not even considered in the hifi scene. But I remembered a few years ago I had a Sennheiser MX365 and I remembered liking it more than the earpod but I lost it I think. So with that I searched further and finally stumbled across this site. Never looked back since.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #24,093 of 75,868
It kills me to admit it but I don't know that the CF2s are going to work out for me simply because of the fit, the housings fatigue my ears to the point where I can only listen for an hour or two at a time. The sound amazing but the comfort isn't there.

Next up for me are the Shozy BKs. I also want to try the Yinman 600 ohm because I still love my 150s but 600ohms is a lot to drive without a desktop setup.

I got really lucky in the fact that the week I decided to buy the stardust it was listed on FS section as used but only two month old for €120 total, not bad at all.

Then next day it so happens someone listed Cygnus used but in very good condition (albeit the enevitable cable oxidation green effect). It was for €33 total. A very good deal!

So what could I do but buy both and wait in anticipation. I'll let you know what I think and how the sound is as best as I can describe it.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #24,094 of 75,868
I have only had Monster Turbine Copper. And Sennheiser Momentum in ear. The turbine from what I remember were great sounding. The momentum are a little muddy on the bass. Is there a a good earbud under $300 that can combine the strengths of these two models above into one package? Or better yet, manage the sound of the HE-400 planar magnetic heaphones into an earbud package?

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #24,095 of 75,868
I have only had Monster Turbine Copper. And Sennheiser Momentum in ear. The turbine from what I remember were great sounding. The momentum are a little muddy on the bass. Is there a a good earbud under $300 that can combine the strengths of these two models above into one package? Or better yet, manage the sound of the HE-400 planar magnetic heaphones into an earbud package?
Are you looking for an earbud or an IEM (in ear monitor). Because this thread is about the earbuds that sit against your ears but don't go into your ear canals. I ask because you mentioned two IEM's above.

Speaking of planar magnetic technology though, check out the Audeze Isine 10. If you don't mind it's design looks (looks like on ear headphone that you clip on), it's apparently a planar magnetic IEM which has amazing sound quality like a full size planar headphone. Check out Z reviews on youtube he reviewed it, and bought it at a hifi event after saying it was only the audeze isine 10/20 and the SENNHEISER ORPHEUS (best headphones in the world) that impressed him the most.

So if you want an IEM that has endgame sound maybe look that, i think it's 299 or 399 though, not sure.

If it's an earbud your after, let us know more details about what sound you like (balanced/V shaped/U shaped etc) and if you prefer warm sound or neutral sound.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #24,096 of 75,868
Are you looking for an earbud or an IEM (in ear monitor). Because this thread is about the earbuds that sit against your ears but don't go into your ear canals. I ask because you mentioned two IEM's above.

Speaking of planar magnetic technology though, check out the Audeze Isine 10. If you don't mind it's design looks (looks like on ear headphone that you clip on), it's apparently a planar magnetic IEM which has amazing sound quality like a full size planar headphone. Check out Z reviews on youtube he reviewed it, and bought it at a hifi event after saying it was only the audeze isine 10/20 and the SENNHEISER ORPHEUS (best headphones in the world) that impressed him the most.

So if you want an IEM that has endgame sound maybe look that, i think it's 299 or 399 though, not sure.

I haven't tried the iSine, but tried the M300, which was quite uncomfortable. I've heard the iSine is similar in this respect.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #24,097 of 75,868
I haven't tried the iSine, but tried the M300, which was quite uncomfortable. I've heard the iSine is similar in this respect.
I don't know much about IEM's but the guy reviewing it is experienced in hifi sound and he said it was pretty incredible. Comfort wise aren't all IEM's horrible? :D jkjk, it's not a CIEM though so I guess for some it won't be great.

I do know about the Andromeda because it's raved about in the IEM scene though, probably compareable performance just different technologies.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #24,099 of 75,868
I only bring this up because the M300 is the most uncomfortable IEM I've ever tried, which has pretty much written off the iSines for now. I should rephrase as uncomfortable isn't the appropriate term, painful is.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #24,100 of 75,868
I only bring this up because the M300 is the most uncomfortable IEM I've ever tried, which has pretty much written off the iSines for now. I should rephrase as uncomfortable isn't the appropriate term, painful is.

Ouch.. literally lol

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #24,101 of 75,868
If you have kids, be prepared for your beloved graphenes to potentially end up looking like this...

Thankfully the driver still works, so time to bring out the crazy glue!

I felt that something was missing in my life. I was listless. Agitated. Just "off".

I then realized that it was because I needed to listen to my beloved graphenes again. So I was forced to get off my butt, find some glue, and get going on the very important yet technical modding job of fixing them. As I was about to apply some glue, it dawned on me that they might just click back together.

Click.

Job well done - master-modder strikes again lol!

url
url
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #24,102 of 75,868
I felt that something was missing in my life. I was listless. Agitated. Just "off".

I then realized that it was because I needed to listen to my beloved graphenes again. So I was forced to get off my butt, find some glue, and get going on the very important yet technical modding job of fixing them. As I was about to apply some glue, it dawned on me that they might just click back together.

Click.

Job well done - master-modder strikes again lol!

url
url
giphy.gif

I am in awe of your skills :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #24,103 of 75,868
My pk2 diy has arrived today and it quite similiar sound like nameless but with better high imo the mid of diy pk2 still doesnt close similiar sound with shozy cygnus to me , does it any other earbud it sound like cygnus but with low price?

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #24,105 of 75,868
My pk2 diy has arrived today and it quite similiar sound like nameless but with better high imo the mid of diy pk2 still doesnt close similiar sound with shozy cygnus to me , does it any other earbud it sound like cygnus but with low price?
Remember the DIY PK2 needs a looong burn in. The mids are excellent, but I think the vocals can be it's weak point on ocasion. Not pushing through enough clarity with it's warm and full sounding presentation.

Also to get the most clarity out of mine, whilst keeping some nice bass with a good seal, I'm using 1 monk thin foam and 1 monk thin cut donut foam over it. The sound balance is excellent... Although you do have to like treble as it can be quiet trebley in this configuration! But again, the vocals I just wish they were more clearly defined beside the energetic mids and treble.

For sure though that a full foam or thick donut foam will reduce it's clarity in vocals as it doesn't have too much to begin with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back