Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #74,987 of 75,209
In all of the discussions about the Yinman 600 I've seen a lot about how well it handles bass frequencies but not much about how it handles other frequencies. I know that it's considered a warmer earbud, but do mids and treble suffer in pursuit of that warmth? And I haven't seen a lot about soundstage or imaging, though I have read that it isn't very wide yet it has a lot of height and depth but it was only mentioned once or twice so I'm not sure how accurate that opinion is. Layering is another consideration as well, are instruments and vocals well defined without being blurred together and possibly overshadowed or is everything smoothed out?

A lot of the earbuds on Woody's list under the stagehead section aren't available anymore and I've been struggling to even find basic info on some of them. One of the few on that list that's still available and has a decent amount of opinions on it is the Green Mamba but I'm worried if it will be too much based off what I've read here. Woody has used the spicy and fire emojis to describe its sound, and if I remember correctly he is a stagehead so if he can't handle how aggressive the tuning is in pursuit of that type of sound then I don't know whether I will be able to either. AFAIK @JAnonymous5150 is one of the few people that can stand and actually like the Mamba, and his experience with them either sounding great or not so much depending on the song matches my experience with the OH Nightingale which is the only reason I'm considering them in the first place. Are we talking Dunu Alpha 3 levels of brightness or is it closer to something like the KSC75? And does it struggle with sibilance or are highs just very pronounced and forward? From what I gather it doesn't have a lot of bass but are we talking Yincrow levels of bass or TRN EMX levels?

Any other suggestions for treble-forward earbuds with an expansive soundstage that also have some bass presence would be appreciated. A removable cable is preferred but not absolutely necessary. I know I'm basically asking for a Unicorn that's the King of Tonality (ha, not sure how it compares to the Green Mamba, any comments are welcome) but I figured if anyone can point me in the right direction it's the people in this thread. Much appreciation as always for the people in this thread and their opinions.
Please read this post by @samandhi: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17467488

For top notch stagehead bud get the Moondrop Chaconne.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #74,988 of 75,209
I think you should message Jim (TGXEAR) or look into RW4000 🙂
:thumbsup:on the RW4000. They are on the expensive side, but worth the spend to me. It would be great if someone did a TGXear Desolation Sound and Yincrow RW-4000 side by side comparison.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #74,989 of 75,209
:thumbsup:on the RW4000. They are on the expensive side, but worth the spend to me. It would be great if someone did a TGXear Desolation Sound and Yincrow RW-4000 side by side comparison.
I think @jwilliamhurst might have both?

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #74,990 of 75,209
Please read this post by @samandhi: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17467488

For top notch stagehead bud get the Moondrop Chaconne.
Woah what? For stagehead?
Respectively, the Chaconne is one of the worst buds i've ever heard from the stage and bass perspective. Bass is so weak compared to anything i've heard before (this is not because i mainly use iem before either). Since the bass was so weak, along with really high uppermids, there's not much bass related spatial cues i can perceive

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #74,991 of 75,209
Just received the Dunu Alpha 3. Really well tuned and nice package! Using the donut foams on them, truly give me open headphone vibes. The amount of slam can't match basshead IEMs but it is there, and does what its supposed to, much like my 800S - ppl complain that it lacks bass, but I've never found that to be true.

Will burn them in more before forming an opinion on them. But for now, initial impressions are positive, not let down in anyway. Giving me the Aiwa discman + earbud vibes back when i was still young.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #74,992 of 75,209
Woah what? For stagehead?
Respectively, the Chaconne is one of the worst buds i've ever heard from the stage and bass perspective. Bass is so weak compared to anything i've heard before (this is not because i mainly use iem before either). Since the bass was so weak, along with really high uppermids, there's not much bass related spatial cues i can perceive
There is bass and sound stage. Read the reviews https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-chaconne.24110/reviews
I'm not disputing your impressions as everyone has their own preferences.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #74,993 of 75,209
Thank you for the "open-back like flat-head" recommendations! The Serratus seems to have a very good reputation, it might be difficult to drive though. Not sure if my BTR15 can do it - any ideas if this might be possible?

The Snow Lotus seems to be a great budget option and for 10$ I will try it out for sure. Still would not mind a "higher-end" option.
You can always give the new yinman 150ohm a shot. That's what I'm looking towards personally. I believe that'll be a higher end option.

Or you can always go for the fioio ff3s or ff5. Dunu Almost Alpha 3. They're pretty highly regarded.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #74,995 of 75,209
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #74,996 of 75,209
Just received the Dunu Alpha 3. Really well tuned and nice package! Using the donut foams on them, truly give me open headphone vibes. The amount of slam can't match basshead IEMs but it is there, and does what its supposed to, much like my 800S - ppl complain that it lacks bass, but I've never found that to be true.

Will burn them in more before forming an opinion on them. But for now, initial impressions are positive, not let down in anyway. Giving me the Aiwa discman + earbud vibes back when i was still young.
Getting really good response on Stanley Clarke's Bass-ic Collection - my go to for quick bass checks. Enjoying the low end out of these Alphas!

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #74,997 of 75,209
The Yinman's have a warm midcentric and recessed treble tuning, but even though it lacks in quantity, it makes up for it with its quality; it's very satisfyingly detailed and crisp; it's not fatiguing at all. You can use donut foam if you find it too lacking, or EQ if you're okay with it.
That's good to hear, I would much rather have detailed and crisp treble than overwhelming and fatiguing. Which amp do you use with them the most? I know I can get decent sound out of them but at some point I would want to upgrade my amp if I get the Yinman.

@WoodyLuvr is known to be treble sensitive and sadly have a hearing damage which is why he stopped using earbuds.

Post in thread 'Earbuds Round-Up' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-17768504
I had seen that post, I feel for him as I know all too well how frustrating it is when health problems keep you from doing something you enjoy. I just couldn't remember what his personal preferences were for earbud tuning, I had seen one of his posts mentioning his tuning preference but I couldn't find it again so thanks for clarifying.

I personally haven't tried it, but I've read quite a few Green Mamba users who enjoy listening to it. If you find it too spicy for you or any other earbuds for that matter, you can always use thicker full foams to mellow it down.
That's what I've seen as well, I'm just a little cautious with how much praise it gets in AliExpress reviews and how divisive people's opinions about are in this thread. But the extra foams is a good point, it would be a PITA to get on but still would be worth a shot if it helped tame them. I'm willing to play with EQ to tame them but at some point you're EQing them so much that you might as well have bought something else.

I'm more into DIY earbuds right now and have been so spoiled by them lol, so I can't really comment on that, but I hope someone more knowledgeable about commercial buds can chime in. But in case there's no other good option, you can always do DIY or commission someone to make one for you so that you can really customize every aspect of it to your liking.
I've done some looking into DIY options, I just want to do a lot more research into my options before I buy a bunch of parts. I added some to my AliEpress cart already and I can already tell that it won't be a cheap endeavor lol. I may just have to bite the bullet and go with a custom earbud, it would remove a lot of the guesswork that you get with the DIY route.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #74,998 of 75,209
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #74,999 of 75,209
In all of the discussions about the Yinman 600 I've seen a lot about how well it handles bass frequencies but not much about how it handles other frequencies. I know that it's considered a warmer earbud, but do mids and treble suffer in pursuit of that warmth? And I haven't seen a lot about soundstage or imaging, though I have read that it isn't very wide yet it has a lot of height and depth but it was only mentioned once or twice so I'm not sure how accurate that opinion is. Layering is another consideration as well, are instruments and vocals well defined without being blurred together and possibly overshadowed or is everything smoothed out?

A lot of the earbuds on Woody's list under the stagehead section aren't available anymore and I've been struggling to even find basic info on some of them. One of the few on that list that's still available and has a decent amount of opinions on it is the Green Mamba but I'm worried if it will be too much based off what I've read here. Woody has used the spicy and fire emojis to describe its sound, and if I remember correctly he is a stagehead so if he can't handle how aggressive the tuning is in pursuit of that type of sound then I don't know whether I will be able to either. AFAIK @JAnonymous5150 is one of the few people that can stand and actually like the Mamba, and his experience with them either sounding great or not so much depending on the song matches my experience with the OH Nightingale which is the only reason I'm considering them in the first place. Are we talking Dunu Alpha 3 levels of brightness or is it closer to something like the KSC75? And does it struggle with sibilance or are highs just very pronounced and forward? From what I gather it doesn't have a lot of bass but are we talking Yincrow levels of bass or TRN EMX levels?

Any other suggestions for treble-forward earbuds with an expansive soundstage that also have some bass presence would be appreciated. A removable cable is preferred but not absolutely necessary. I know I'm basically asking for a Unicorn that's the King of Tonality (ha, not sure how it compares to the Green Mamba, any comments are welcome) but I figured if anyone can point me in the right direction it's the people in this thread. Much appreciation as always for the people in this thread and their opinions.
While I was reading your post, three earbuds came to my mind without thinking,
@FranQL Blue Moon, Aquila and Ibis

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #75,000 of 75,209
I think you should message Jim (TGXEAR) or look into RW4000 🙂
I was looking at the Serratus as well but I don't think it's currently available but I should check with Jim to be sure. I would consider the RW4K if it wasn't such a huge jump in price for not that great of an improvement over the RW3K. And since I already have the RW2K I don't think it will be that large of a jump even if I went for the RW4K. Don't get me wrong I love Yincrow's tuning and the RW2K is much less fatiguing and smoother than the OH Nightingale but I don't think the tuning of the RW4K will have quite the sparkle that I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back