Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #65,671 of 75,148
After a tiring day of work, I couldn't help myself... here's my just finished build...
My "Blueberry", blue metal shell with 14.8mm Be driver, 8 core cable with 4.4mm Pentaconn and mmcx terminated.

Edit: As I listen more to these guys, man, they are right up there with some my purchased buds. I'm really happy right now.

Blueberry 14.8mm.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #65,672 of 75,148
I used to play harmonica in the past, actually. Recorded a couple “albums” but I lost the source files. Luckily some friends / fans / (creeps?) kept the original MP3 and uploaded them to Vietnamese spotify knock-off. (Here and here). I was such a w*nker with inflated ego back then to record these “albums” :dt880smile:
Nice! After the battery dies in your DAP when you're out hiking the Outback you can always keep harping on... I don't play as much as I used to, but I still noodle around on my harp.

Marine Band.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #65,673 of 75,148
This DIY stuff is really fun. Disassembly and tuning revisions takes significantly less time than when you're doing it with over ears or even IEMs, but many of the lessons and tuning principles are proving useful already.

I'm far from done with this bud, but I can say that these copper shells from NSC Audio are quite versatile. They are thick enough to be able to use minor grinding and shaping techniques as well as to attach othet metal components such as baffle plates, tubes, and mounting mechanisms if you have the proper tools and know what you're doing though you can easily destroy them with too much heat (can confirm, learned first hand lol).

So far I have too many ideas to execute in one bud, but I'm finding this very fun, educational, and very relaxing. I'm just out in my workshop listening to some tunes and making stuff. Add some cold beer and you've got yourself a great Saturday night.

Plus my girl's out of town so I won't even have someone trying to enforce my bedtime! 😉

Currently exprimenting with tuning tubes and reflective plates...

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #65,674 of 75,148
After a tiring day of work, I couldn't help myself... here's my just finished build...
My "Blueberry", blue metal shell with 14.8mm Be driver, 8 core cable with 4.4mm Pentaconn and mmcx terminated.

Edit: As I listen more to these guys, man, they are right up there with some my purchased buds. I'm really happy right now.

Blueberry 14.8mm.jpg
Any recs for a 4.4mm balanced cable? :)

Oct 2, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #65,675 of 75,148
I know this is a strange question… but are there any high quality earbuds that are warm and don’t leak sound. I prefer the comfort and fit of earbuds but want no leakage.

I'd point you to the new JBL Tune Flex TWS. They're side-firing earbuds, but with different tips like IEMs, which enable you to adjust the distance between nozzle opening and your ear canal.

They support sealed and open modes, out of which I'd recommend the latter, with ANC on and tips that leave just a tiny gap open. Great sound and very little leakage that way.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #65,676 of 75,148
Any recs for a 4.4mm balanced cable? :)
What kind of 4.4mm balanced cable are you looking for? MMCX, 2 pin, XLR termination or not terminated at all? The cable that I used for that build was partially made. It came with the 4.4mm Pentaconn, but was not terminated because the metal shell came with the mmcx connector that I had to solder on. In general I don't swap out cables much unless I'm troubleshooting a connection problem, so I do keep a few inexpensive 4.4mm balanced cables around for that.

Here's a nice looking 16 core cable that you can order customized with different plugs (3.5mmSE, 4.4mm Balanced...) and different terminations ( MMCX, 2 pin, XLR...).

Sef0d6569d5fe46ceb6da0e6f13f5bd50m.jpg

Here's a Litz cable that has different plugs and terminations.
This cable is from the NICEHCK store, they have many cables that you can check out.

Hfc12d0600ab442cc95b9718d959bc13aU.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #65,677 of 75,148
I'd point you to the new JBL Tune Flex TWS. They're side-firing earbuds, but with different tips like IEMs, which enable you to adjust the distance between nozzle opening and your ear canal.

They support sealed and open modes, out of which I'd recommend the latter, with ANC on and tips that leave just a tiny gap open. Great sound and very little leakage that way.
Wow! Long time no see James! Hope you are well.

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #65,678 of 75,148
What kind of 4.4mm balanced cable are you looking for? MMCX, 2 pin, XLR termination or not terminated at all? The cable that I used for that build was partially made. It came with the 4.4mm Pentaconn, but was not terminated because the metal shell came with the mmcx connector that I had to solder on. In general I don't swap out cables much unless I'm troubleshooting a connection problem, so I do keep a few inexpensive 4.4mm balanced cables around for that.

Here's a nice looking 16 core cable that you can order customized with different plugs (3.5mmSE, 4.4mm Balanced...) and different terminations ( MMCX, 2 pin, XLR...).

Sef0d6569d5fe46ceb6da0e6f13f5bd50m.jpg

Here's a Litz cable that has different plugs and terminations.
This cable is from the NICEHCK store, they have many cables that you can check out.

Hfc12d0600ab442cc95b9718d959bc13aU.jpg
Thank you very much :)
Any idea if any are without MMCX or 2pin connectors?

Oct 2, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #65,679 of 75,148
Thank you very much :)
Any idea if any are without MMCX or 2pin connectors?
This is the cable I used. Partial build 4.4mm Pentaconn. You can always just buy a complete cable and cut the MMCX or 2 pin connector off, it might even be cheaper than buying a cable without MMCX or 2 pin. Other people also buy the connectors and lengths of cable to custom make their own cables. So you have many choices for your creativity. If you search for cables or components on AE you might find some you like better or suit the look that you want.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #65,680 of 75,148
This is the cable I used. Partial build 4.4mm Pentaconn. You can always just buy a complete cable and cut the MMCX or 2 pin connector off, it might even be cheaper than buying a cable without MMCX or 2 pin. Other people also buy the connectors and lengths of cable to custom make their own cables. So you have many choices for your creativity. If you search for cables or components on AE you might find some you like better or suit the look that you want.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, does anyone have any idea if these are real TG38s?

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #65,682 of 75,148
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, does anyone have any idea if these are real TG38s?

They look like the legit TG-38s I have seen. I gave my pair away a couple months back, but that's how I remember them looking.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #65,683 of 75,148
the smabat m4 is on sale today... should I pull the trigger?

i did just receive my m2s pro yesterday and was happy with it after tweaking with eq... but the driver just died on me. :frowning2:
Nobody can really answer that one for you. Having said that, for $40 something they are at the very least a fantastic concept and a well built (and good looking too IMO) set of earbuds. To my ears, they don't sound the same as the M2s Pro (same(ish) overall signature but different acoustics), but I was able to use the same theory with EQ to alleviate the piercing (which to me seems a bit worse on the M4). The drivers are easier to deal with, and (ATM) it is cheaper. I think that the drivers used in the M4 are the same as was used in the M2s Pro (other than the ST20, and ST20 Pro drivers).

All that said, don't you have a warranty for the M2s Pro (and subsequently the driver), or did you buy them second hand?

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #65,684 of 75,148
Nobody can really answer that one for you. Having said that, for $40 something they are at the very least a fantastic concept and a well built (and good looking too IMO) set of earbuds. To my ears, they don't sound the same as the M2s Pro (same(ish) overall signature but different acoustics), but I was able to use the same theory with EQ to alleviate the piercing (which to me seems a bit worse on the M4). The drivers are easier to deal with, and (ATM) it is cheaper. I think that the drivers used in the M4 are the same as was used in the M2s Pro (other than the ST20, and ST20 Pro drivers).

All that said, don't you have a warranty for the M2s Pro (and subsequently the driver), or did you buy them second hand?
I bought them on aliexpress so I do have the option to return or ask for exchange, but I just noticed the sale so wanted to see which option to go with.

So the M4 has the same stock driver as the M2s Pro? Is the bass response more noticeable in the M4 in your experience? I do like the neutral-ish sound signature with a bump in the bass, after taming those harsh mids. When I eq'd the m2s pro I did add a ~3db boost to the lows as well, but wondering if the M4 would need that. I bought the M2s Pro since quite a few people said the bass was good, however to me in most of my songs it felt lacking.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #65,685 of 75,148
I bought them on aliexpress so I do have the option to return or ask for exchange, but I just noticed the sale so wanted to see which option to go with.

So the M4 has the same stock driver as the M2s Pro? Is the bass response more noticeable in the M4 in your experience? I do like the neutral-ish sound signature with a bump in the bass, after taming those harsh mids. When I eq'd the m2s pro I did add a ~3db boost to the lows as well, but wondering if the M4 would need that. I bought the M2s Pro since quite a few people said the bass was good, however to me in most of my songs it felt lacking.
OIC.

Yes, they are the same driver (IIRC). In my experience with both the M2s Pro and the M4, the stock (40ohm) driver doesn't have the bass that the other (especially higher ohm) drivers have. I would say that they sound very similar overall, so what you are hearing with the M2s Pro you will hear similar with the M4 (just a bit of a difference in the shell makeup). But to me, the good stuff is really in the other drivers you can get for both/either of them (not that the 40ohm driver is bad by any means).

So, if given a choice of only one of them (knowing what I know about both), if I were going for sound quality alone, the M2s Pro are just a tad bit better to my ears, but the M4 are overall nicer (more mature). I would say that if the 2k region doesn't bother you, then you really can't go wrong with either.

If you have the money, I would buy the m4 and exchange the M2s Pro and have both to compare for yourself... :) Though I would highly encourage you to get at least the 150ohm Ti driver or the Super One 100ohm bio driver for both (if you can). Or (not to throw too much of a curve ball at ya') the ST10S B&G (150ohm Ti) is still available also, and those have some REALLY good bass response. Just my $.02 though! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back